Looking for a case recommendation, and UPS advice

jemm

Distinguished
First the UPS (uninterruptible power supply). In other forum I heard about that an UPS can be bad for the PSU. My PSU has gone recently, but I won´t blame my UPS (1200VA) for that, as I have not enough information on that matter. So, is it true that an UPS can demage the PSU?

Now the case. It is quite warm where I live, and I use my PC mainly for 3D apps, so the PC needs extra cooling. My case is quite small for most CPU coolers out there. Therefore I am looking for a bigger one. I might not overclock it tough. Any recommendation?

The build is the following:

ASUS P6T
CPU I7 920
GPU Sapphire Radeon 5870
Patriot Viper XMP 12GB 1600 MHz (@1333Mhz)
HD WD 1TB Sata II
DVD Pionner Dual Layer
PSU Corsair 850W
ASUS Vento TA-M11
AOC 42" H428Pw + LG W2353V 23
UPS of 1200VA
Windows 7 64 bits

Thank you for you help!

Solution
I've never heard that a UPS could harm a power supply -- in fact, they are designed to help save hardware in the event of power spikes and such. I've been running various APC UPSes for the past 13 years or so, and I've never had a problem with a power supply.

For cases, take a look at the Cooler Master HAF series. I have the HAF 921 and it's awesome -- nice and sturdy, room for everything I could want.

jemm

Distinguished

Is it HAF 921 or HAF 922? I haven´t found any reference to your HAF 921.

As for the UPS issue we see it eyes to eyes, but I wanted to make sure what I heard in the other forum wasn´t accurated.

Anyway as for the case I am not sure yet if I should go for full or mid tower.

I have the 921. It's the least expensive one in the HAF line. I figured why pay for someone else's idea of a well-ventilated case when I could start with a good (but cheap) basic case and choose my own cooling.

For me, that was the HAF 921 stuffed with six Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm fans. For intake its got two front and one side fan, and for exhaust its got two top and one rear fan. The case is wide enough to fit pretty much any tower CPU cooler while still keeping the side fan.

Cons:
Inside and back of case are not black. I don't care, but it may bother others.
Not tool-free. Again, doesn't bother me.
Cutout in mainboard tray doesn't cover all CPUs. It caused my Prolimatech Megahalems mounting bracket to short out the board (the mainboard did bow, which didn't help). No biggie ... I just switched to a different cooler.

I think Leaps-from-Shadows is referring to a HAF 912.
What's your budget?
Here's some popular good quality affordable cases.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583%2050001333&IsNodeId=1&page=2&bop=And&CompareItemList=7%7C11-129-066%5E11-129-066-TS%2C11-119-196%5E11-119-196-TS%2C11-129-042%5E11-129-042-TS%2C11-119-233%5E11-119-233-TS%2C11-119-215%5E11-119-215-TS\
I use a Cyberpower UPS 1500VA and i've never heard of a ups damaging components.

jemm

Distinguished

I use a Vento TA-M11, a mid tower case, but it is quite small for most of the cpu coolers.

I do need a case with some more space and good air flow, as the temperatures at my location are quite high. The summer has just begun with temps ranging from 30C (Fahrenheit 86) to 38C (Fahrenheit 100). Actually the temps are like that for the most of the year.

I will place a CPU cooler too, perhaps a Master Hyper 212 Plus, as I am not planning overclocking.

My main use is 3D app and Adobe CS5 (photoshop), both at the same time -- plus some film rendering (I do games too). My AMD Radeon 5870 makes things run really hot, and the 12Gb RAM makes it even worse. I monitor the PC with ASUS PC Probe II, and the mobo goes to 60C (Fahrenheit 140) easily.

I can spend up to US$ 250 in a good case, which doesn´t need to look good.

Cases are a personal choice as far as looks go .
Most mid-tower cases will accommodate most users gear.
Full-tower cases are big and only really required if you plan on using the afforded space.
As long as you shop for quality cases like Antec,CoolerMaster,Lian-Li and Silverstone they'll probably last a lifetime.
What style of case do you prefer Gaming(leds,windows) or Plain(classy,sleek)?

Solution

lol Yes I'm a dumbass. I was referring to the 912. I knew 921 sounded weird, yet I typed it anyway.

Cooler Master is coming out with the HAF 912 Advanced. It comes with an LED fan (along with two non-LED fans) and a side window. Plus, it can fit extra-long video cards and the largest tower coolers. Check it out here. I probably would've gone with the Advanced had it been available when I did my purchase.

jemm

Distinguished
I might go for the CM HAF 932. I´d would get the CM HAF 922, but then I´d have to buy 2 extra fans which aren´t included, and the price would be more or less the same. So with the CM HAF 932 besides the bigger room, I get 4 fans already in place.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

Good choice ! you really couldn't go wrong with any of the recommended cases.
Enjoy!
And thanks for the BA!;)