Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Worth the wait.

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 8, 2010 8:50:37 PM

I just put a build up on the thread about a week ago and got a few people telling me to wait it out on account of everything coming down in price along with sandy bridges coming into play.

I am just wondering how much will things come down and how soon? Basically is it worth the wait?

More about : worth wait

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
November 8, 2010 9:00:27 PM

Only you can determine if it's worth the wait, depending on what your priorities are.

Initially, I would only expect a 10-15% drop in price, as the new tech moves into the price range previously occupied by the current tech. Over time it will go down, but you don't often see huge price jumps. The significant price drop in the i7-950 (from about $500+ to $300) a couple of months ago was kind of a rarity, in my opinion.

To me, the bigger question is whether you want to get the tail end of the current generation, and if/when you need an upgrade end up having to get a new motherboard/cpu; or get in on the next generation when it's released, but potentially run into teething problems with the new technology.

If saving money is your goal, you should wait. If you need a computer right now because your current machine is toast, you should buy now.
Share
a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 3:11:26 AM

Intel generally drops prices in late February as new models introduced.....this brings new MoBos and the associated price drops on older models. To my mind however, at least with the MoBos, I'd rather have the new tech and the longevity that goes with it instead of the $20 - 30 saved.

GFX Vendors usually drop prices now as new models come out and after X-Mas.

HD's and memory depend mostly on the relative strength of the currencies you buying with.

m
0
l
Related resources
November 9, 2010 4:55:46 PM

Best answer selected by ctnoland.
m
0
l
November 9, 2010 4:58:08 PM

coldsleep said:
Only you can determine if it's worth the wait, depending on what your priorities are.

Initially, I would only expect a 10-15% drop in price, as the new tech moves into the price range previously occupied by the current tech. Over time it will go down, but you don't often see huge price jumps. The significant price drop in the i7-950 (from about $500+ to $300) a couple of months ago was kind of a rarity, in my opinion.

To me, the bigger question is whether you want to get the tail end of the current generation, and if/when you need an upgrade end up having to get a new motherboard/cpu; or get in on the next generation when it's released, but potentially run into teething problems with the new technology.

If saving money is your goal, you should wait. If you need a computer right now because your current machine is toast, you should buy now.



I have to agree with you cold. I need a new computer not only is mine fried but its been dead for about a year...I think I have waited long enough.

If the new techs that come out are going to be THAT much better than I will upgrade later when the "teething" process is over. There is nothing I hate more than new faulty technology.
m
0
l
!