Which cpu is best for my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonx_08

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
currently i have a ecs a770m-a motherboard really old and a amd athlon 64 x2 6000+

heres a list of cpu's processors that are suposidly compatible with the above motherboard

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=844&CategoryID=1&MenuID=20&LanID=0

as my cpu is a dual core i obviously would either be looking for a tri/quad core for better performance currently my pc is only used for gaming playing wow cataclysm

my budget for a cpu would be maximum £100

and are there any places that do home installations of this cos im scared to do this as ive never done it before i dnt wanna *** my pc up

In honesty the only tri/quads that you can get are not the best. A better mobo would be the best bet. But if you really want just a CPU for now then here is the best one yours can support for under 100 pounds:

Its a Phenom X4 9850. They are harder to find because they are no longer produced.

I would go for a new mobo and CPU in all honesty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131613 $49.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103687 59.99

A bit more than $100 but still would be better in the end since you can upgrade to a 6 core CPU down the road.

lmgaland

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
What gpu are you running? If you're trying to improve performance with gaming the gpu is the first thing to look at/upgrade, especially if you arent looking to get a new mobo

How about:
AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95w 1.5MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor £59.10
Asrock N68C-S UCC GeForce 7025 Socket AM2+ VGA Out 6 Channel Audio MATX Motherboard £32
from Ebuyer.co.uk quick find codes 238326 & 221178 you can either keep you ram or add:
EXTRA VALUE 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory Kit 1.5V CL9 £29.99 code 192049
Or instead get a graphics card like:
HIS HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card 241315 £99.99

Installing a new motherboard is not as hard as you might think its 6 screws and maybe 5 connections which are all marked clearly and can't be really put in the wrong spot. There are plenty of guide videos on youtube. With a little research and the drive to learn something new anyone can do it. With your current board it would be a waste of money to upgrade it you might as well throw 100 in the garbage because you will see little to no improvement with just a CPU upgrade.

The 1st Gen. Phenoms were absolute garbage and should not even be considered since they are hard to find first off, second off they will be way over priced, and the money spent on that you could upgrade mobo, and cpu and get double the performance increase.

dragonx_08

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
as im pretty poor i cant afford anything thats better than i currently got i looked at overclockers.co.uk

and i looked at cpu and mobo comes to over £200 and thats not taking into account that i have to buy thermal grease and a cooler and new ram.

so basically it would be cheaper to prolly buy a new pc

dragonx_08

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
a reviewr said this pc scored 5.9 on that windows experience thing

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-168-OE&groupid=43&catid=1892&subcat=

yet my pc is alot older and has the same score no i didnt hack the score either

Do not spend a penny (pence?) on upgrading that old computer. Wait and build a new one when you can afford it. It will cost the same, but actually have a very noticeable improvement.

Wow won't get too demanding for your PC before the end of summer or so. Hopefully by then you can save up $350 or so for a new PC. You can reuse your case and DVD burner.

Also, have you looked into overclocking? That can give you a 5-35% (usually around 12%) performance boost for free.

dragonx_08

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
overclocking is a waste of time for this pc why bother to get little or nothing from it and il just buy a brand new pc if i have to upgrade it as a motherboard,cpu,ram and cooler is gonna cost just as much anyway

cadillacchad

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Don't go with intel. It will cost you more than a comparable AMD system. If you can save up money to get a new pc, you can sell your current pc to make up for some of the cost of your new one. I understand that you dont know how to build a computer, so go to a local pc shop and ask them how much to install your cpu and power supply(add that to the cost of your new build). those are the only two things you could really mess up. after that you should be able to easily assemble the rest of the components on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS