Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need feedback on a new system

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2010 9:46:34 PM

I am new to building system at home. I do have a Blue Ray Burner and Radeon HD 5530 video card.

The following components I chose from newegg because of combo discount. The purpose of the new pc is blue ray video editing, and high end computing. I will really appreciate any feedback before I order these components from newegg for $1204.96. Please recommend alternate components if you think will be better. By the way, I do have a midtower case with 380W PSU. Will that work with i7 CPU or I need to buy this 800W PSU?

COMBO

1 ASUS SABERTOOTH 55i ATX Intel Motherboard Item #: N82E16813131601
Thermaltake TR-800P 800W Power Supply Item #: N82E16817153130
OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Item #: N82E16820227542
Intel Core i7-870 2.93GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Item #: N82E16819115213
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Item #: N82E16820227559
Thermaltake Armor A90 Black Gaming Mid-Tower Chassis Case Item #: N82E16811133176
$794.99

1 Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Item #:N82E16822136456
$179.99
1 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders Item #:N82E16832116758
$139.99
1 OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Item #:N82E16820227559
$89.99
Grand Total: $1,204.96

More about : feedback system

November 8, 2010 10:45:18 PM

As far as compatibility goes, your build should work. Here are my comments:

1. I don't see a CPU cooler on there so I'm guessing you don't intend to overclock?

2. The low voltage ram doesn't save much power so if its any more expensive than regular ram I'd go with the regular.

3. The 5530 is a pretty weak graphics card. It won't affect your video editing too too much but make sure the card has whatever outputs you need.

4. I'd definitely get a new PSU. I'm guessing that 380W you mentioned is an older, off brand unit that has probably degraded with time. You won't need an 800W unless you add a pretty beefy graphics card (or two). Somewhere in the 500-650w range sounds about right for your build. Corsair and Seasonic are my two favorite brands.

5. The WD hard drive is a bare drive so make sure your mobo comes with a SATA cable for it our you'll have to pick one up separately.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "high end computing"... Do you mean you are going to be doing stuff like Folding@home or some other distributed computing project? If that is the case, a higher powered GPU will be a benefit as those programs can utilize the GPU for compute tasks.
m
l
November 9, 2010 3:09:17 AM

As far as compatibility goes, your build should work. Here are my comments:

1. I don't see a CPU cooler on there so I'm guessing you don't intend to overclock?

I did not think about that. But if possible, I would certainly try that. In that case, do you have a recommendation for a CPU cooler for intel i7 cpu?

2. The low voltage ram doesn't save much power so if its any more expensive than regular ram I'd go with the regular.

I got that as a part of combo. But I will look at other RAM to see if that is a better deal without the combo discount.

3. The 5530 is a pretty weak graphics card. It won't affect your video editing too too much but make sure the card has whatever outputs you need.

My card is "PowerColor Radeon HD 5550 512MB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card". Is that still weak for blue ray editing video and watching a blue ray movie? I do not plan to play games.

4. I'd definitely get a new PSU. I'm guessing that 380W you mentioned is an older, off brand unit that has probably degraded with time. You won't need an 800W unless you add a pretty beefy graphics card (or two). Somewhere in the 500-650w range sounds about right for your build. Corsair and Seasonic are my two favorite brands.

Once again that was a combo deal. Looks like I have to start over and get individual components. I will take your recommendation for PSU.

5. The WD hard drive is a bare drive so make sure your mobo comes with a SATA cable for it our you'll have to pick one up separately.

Good suggestion. I 'll check other options. What confused me is a wide range ib 2TB HD price from $129 to $379. I went in the middle. The key differnce was 32 vs 64 kb cache, and 5400 vs 7500 rpm. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "high end computing"... Do you mean you are going to be doing stuff like Folding@home or some other distributed computing project? If that is the case, a higher powered GPU will be a benefit as those programs can utilize the GPU for compute tasks.

By high end means, sometimes I bring work home, and run large scale numerical simulations, i.e solving partial differential equations in space and time that run for 72 hours or or longer.

Thanks for helping out with my system build.
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2010 3:48:34 AM

Do elaborate specifically what software/apps u use to edit videos so we could better advise on h/w and price points - example:

Adobe premiere Pro could leverage on GPU for better performance..depending on size of projetcs

Pinnacle Studio/Vegas - CPU/RAM bound
m
l

Best solution

November 9, 2010 11:01:33 PM

Responding to your responses:

1. I'd definitely consider overclocking. Its a great way to improve performance without shelling out too much cash and as long as you don't push it to the limit the danger to your hardware is minimal. Plus the i7's are generally pretty good for overclocking. A good budget CPU cooler is CoolerMaster Hyper 212+. I've never used it but I've seen a lot of guys on here who's opinions I trust recommend it. For top of the heap performance I'd say something like the Noctuna NH-D14 but its probably too big for your case and it's like 90 bucks. There are lots of benchmarks for this. Just make sure you consider the noise produced and not just the cooling ability.

2. Just make sure you get a quality brand. Higher frequency and lower CAS latency are what you are looking for. And since you are doing a lot of video editing 8Gb seems like the right amount.

3. That video card will be fine for watching blu-rays and editing will be mostly handled by the CPU. The only question is if the software you use for editing as well as those nasty differential equations can take advantage of the GPU. Some programs can, some can't and I'm not an expert there so I defer to anyone who knows better than I.

4. I almost always recommend nice new power supplies. They aren't too expensive and quality ones can be reused from build to build. There is nothing more frustrating than a crappy PSU frying your nice new components. Not that that is likely to happen but... better safe than sorry.

5. Higher RPMs=better performance, as does a larger cache. However, you have an SSD in there as your boot drive so the WD would mainly be for storage and whatever programs you couldn't fit so speed is less important. I personally like the Caviar Black that you chose but there are other good choices like the Samsung Spinpont F3s. Also, that being a bare drive probably won't be a problem since your motherboard probably comes with a spare SATA cable or two. That should be listed on Newegg.

One other thing I was thinking about last night, I'd consider waiting till like January or February to build a computer if you can. Intel and AMD will be releasing their new processors around that time and, if nothing else, that will drive down prices of these older models.

Hope some of this helps!

November 10, 2010 5:45:57 AM

batuchka said:
Do elaborate specifically what software/apps u use to edit videos so we could better advise on h/w and price points - example:

Adobe premiere Pro could leverage on GPU for better performance..depending on size of projetcs

Pinnacle Studio/Vegas - CPU/RAM bound

For blue ray I use txmuxer, eac32, clown_BD, mkvtoolnix, & makemkv, and mediacoder. For normal dvd, i use TMPGEnc.
m
l
November 10, 2010 5:50:59 AM

subasteve5800 said:
Responding to your responses:

One other thing I was thinking about last night, I'd consider waiting till like January or February to build a computer if you can. Intel and AMD will be releasing their new processors around that time and, if nothing else, that will drive down prices of these older models.

Hope some of this helps!

This is a tremendous help. I am not in a hurry, so I am going to do some more research using your recommendations. I am going to see if I can find individual components rather than the combo I am referring in this post.

So my question is if I go that route, which would be a good motherboard for Intel i7, and AMD Penom II X6 109ot?
m
l
November 11, 2010 6:52:27 PM

Best answer selected by jhaveri.
m
l
!