Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming Build Advice - $1000 - $1200

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2010 10:04:19 PM

Hey all,

I'd like help with a new build from all the smart people on these forums :) .

Approximate Purchase Date: Sooner the better, but I can wait for up to 1 month (Black Friday deals, or new chipsets, etc.)

Budget Range: $1000 - $1200 after-rebates desired. (I have extra funds but I prefer to stay in this range)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: GAMING ... everything else

Parts Not Required:
Windows 7 Ultimate
Keyboard
Mouse
Monitor
Speakers
DVD-RW + CD-ROM
Hard Drive (I am getting an SSD for OS + games)
PSU = CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg / anything with a good discount

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU / NVidia GPU ... otherwise, I don't really care.

Overclocking: Never done it and VERY VERY INTERESTED in doing it.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. I NEED to play Starcraft 2 with MAXED OUT setting ... and maybe AA.

Monitor Resolution: Right now = 1280x1024. Would like to be make it better if I can.
Current Monitor = ViewSonic X Series VX922 Black-Silver 19" 2ms LCD Monitor 270 cd/m2 650:1

***Here is the build I have picked out. Please provide feedback.***
Motherboard
Need help...
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $180
OR
ASUS P7P55D Deluxe LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - $150

CPU
Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - $209

Graphics
1 X MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - $190

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model - $80

SSD
Need help...
OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive - $125
OR
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive - $115

Aftermarket Cooling
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - $30

Case
I would like advice on a case that:
A) Has good cooling
B) Fits all my parts (SLI, MOBO, etc.)
C) Looks cool (for reference, I think the Antec Lanboy air Blue/Black looks sweet even though I prefer RED lights)
I'm not huge into modding but maybe with the right case, I can be. Right now, I have picked these two:
Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $120
OR
Antec Lanboy air Blue Black / Blue Computer Modular Case - $180

Additional Questions:
1. Should I get the 460 NOW or wait for 460/470 to be cheaper?
2. 460/470 SLI vs. one GTX 480?
3. Should I wait until the new Intel chipset comes out for the i5/i7 to become cheaper? Approx. how long could that be?
4. Do I need the $30 separate cooling or can I just use Intel stock CPU fan?

Thanks for all your help! Very much appreciated.
November 8, 2010 10:24:17 PM

sli two 6870 your budget should allow that :) 

For a case wb the haf 932? have you looked at it it is a really good air cooled case
m
l
November 8, 2010 10:25:04 PM

if you plan on overclocking get at
least the coolermaster 212+
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 8, 2010 10:50:18 PM

Anything not mentioned is fine.

MOBO: The Asus P7P55D-E Pro is recommended over the Asus P7P55D Deluxe because the former has USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s support whereas the latter does not. It provides a bit of future proofing so you don't have to get a USB 3.0 / SATA 6gb/s pci card when they go mainstream.

RAM: The low voltage G.Skill Eco series is recommended for intel builds because it puts less stress on the CPU because it runs at a voltage that is closer to what the CPU runs at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD: The Vertex is slightly faster and is the premium line whereas the Agility is slightly slower and cheaper alternative. If the Vertex is cheaper, by all means get it although for a SSD boot drive, I would suggest getting something around 100GB or more. With 60GB you really only have 50GB of space because win7 already takes up 10GB. Calculate in games nowadays are anywhere from 5-10GB and programs from 2-5GB and you will realize you don't have enough space.

HDD: You may need a HDD for storage, my recommendation is the Spinpoint F3 1TB. Quicker, faster and cheaper than WD. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CASE: If you like red lights, consider the Cooler Master Cases. These should all fit all your parts, have good cooling and look decent.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Answers:
1) Get the GTX 460 when you get the rest of the parts of your build. No reason to get it now for it to just sit there. There will always be deals and waiting will only make it cheaper.
2) Definitely the SLI. But get the second card when you upgrade your monitor. At your current resolution, the GTX 460 is already overkill.
3) I don't think there will be any new chipsets coming out for the i5/i7. Intel is going to be releasing SB Q1 2011 and AMD is releasing BD some time 2011. With this there will be a shift to this new chip and the current LGA 1156/1366 will become "obsolete" like the LGA 775.
4) You only need the after market cooler if you plan to overclock. The stock cooler will manage a minor OC up to 3.4ghz safely but this will be pushing it and it may run hard/loud. If you plan to OC above this or perfer a more quiet cooler, then get the after market one.
November 8, 2010 11:11:36 PM

kureme said:
3) I don't think there will be any new chipsets coming out for the i5/i7. Intel is going to be releasing SB Q1 2011 and AMD is releasing BD some time 2011. With this there will be a shift to this new chip and the current LGA 1156/1366 will become "obsolete" like the LGA 775.

Based on this info, would you suggest holding off building a computer till the new chipsets / video cards come out, either because the new ones will be better OR because the price of the current i5/i7/GTX 460 will go down?
m
l
November 9, 2010 4:00:56 AM

The thing is that those new chips have GPUs integrated into the same die. Although communication between the CPU and GPU will be incredible, you lose the choice of selecting how GPU heavy you want your system to be. Being a new technology, no one knows how this will turn out yet so we can't draw any conclusions.

Sure they will be better, but at a premium for being the first ones of their kind. The new tech needs time to mature anyways and who knows how many defects it may have. Look back at SSDs when they came out. Sure they were fast, but they were also worthless because of their low write endurance. Now, with advancements in technology and TRIM support, that endurance has enhanced significantly.

If you wait until then prices if the current parts will only drop but it won't be anything significant, maybe about $5-$10 a month. I say if you need the PC right now, just go ahead and build it. It is a mature technology with most of the flaws ironed out already. New tech will always be around the corner and if you wait for it, you will be in an endless cycle of waiting. If the price is good for you, get it.
m
l
November 18, 2010 11:30:59 PM

Best answer selected by darkknight4686.
m
l
!