GTX460 9800gt cpu bottlenecking

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Okay so my CPU was bottlenecking my 9800gt. 2.2Ghz dual core 1mb l2 cache. I upgraded my graphics card to the GTX460 and i'm actually experiencing slightly lower performance. I plan to upgrade my CPU next week but why would a graphics card upgrade decrease my performance? I understand my cpu is the bottleneck but why am i getting lower performance with a higher end graphics card?

Much appreciated

I actually scored 200 less on the final fantasy 14 benchmark with the gtx 460

arges86

Distinguished
Definitely sounds like a driver conflict.
a 2.2 Ghz dual core CPU would most def. be bottlenecking the system
I would stress test the GPU with a program like FurMark, just to make sure there is nothing wrong w/ it after you do a driver sweep

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Hmm, interesting. I did do a complete reinstall of the drivers though. I could try again.

I know the card is better than the 9800 because it scores higher on the windows experience index.
9800gt scored a 6.7 gtx460 scored a 7.3. But when gaming it lags more, and with the benchmark it lags a lot more.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I'm definetly sure. I have the Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU. I'm just as confused as you are. Only thing i can think of is that my CPU was more compatible with the 9800GT(worked better with it) Because it was more around it's level

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
WEI scores don't mean much, but it's still true that the GTX 460 is a better card. My thoughts are that the CPU is definitely holding it back and might be causing the scores to go lower than before. I recently got a GTX460 1GB going from a GTX 285. I scored lower in benchmarks with the GTX 460 when my CPU was at 3.0GHz. When I upped the OC to 3.4GHz, the GTX 460 was exceptionally better than the GTX 285. Try OCing the CPU and see if you can increase your scores.

Also, are you scoring worse in every benchmark you have test or is it just in FF14? It might simply be a problem exclusive to that game.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks for your reply and information. Just the FF14 but other games i tried playing I can see the difference. It's noticeable. I straight up lag more and not just graphical lag programs and overall system performance seems to lag more. I'm not sure if i want to OC my E2210 it just doesn't seem like overclock material. I would rather just wait till i get my new processor next week. Though i would like to know, would you recommend a mid grade quad core for the GTX 460 or a high grade Dual core?

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I personally wouldn't recommend getting either but many others will say otherwise. My choice would be to go for a new socket system instead (p55/x58) and pick up a decent i5/i7.

One more thing, are your 6-pin power connectors plugged in snug? There might be a power issue for the card.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Hmm, last i checked yes. I will double-check. And i know, i was thinking that too. Upgrade to a 1156 motherboard and get an i3 till i get more money for an i5/i7 but that would mean i would void my oem on my computer by getting a new motherboard. Makes me wanna just buy windows 7 full edition but the money isn't there for that and a motherboard and a processor and memory.

TRENDING THREADS