Gaming Desktop set up

dgs0056

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hello,
I would like to build a top of the line gaming desktop.What mother board,cpu and graphic cards work best together.
Thanks Dan

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
whatever your budget is make sure you consider Intel's new sandy bridge CPU. Its crazy fast for money you pay!

If you could indicate how much you are looking to spend then I could work something up for you.

Also it depends on what games you play. For example World of Warcraft runs better on NVIDIA hardware than ATI. This is minor but if a budget is a big problem I would research this first as it could make that little bit of difference you need.

Cheers

AGPC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010

AMD! AMD!
Get AN AMD!!
can you tell i like AMD? oh and when the Bulldozer comes out AMD WILL CRUSH INTEL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOc3ayl0zrw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GNh1om5mT0

If you have to build now, don't use sandy bridge 1155. It will be at least two months until the new boards are released for it. All are on hold now or subject to a recall by the manufacturer. The cpus are fine, but no point in getting one until the boards are ready. bulldozer may be out in April.

AGPC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010

April? YAA!!

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
OK first thing.......DONT buy and AMD chip..... :D

That is an awesome budget and considering you have a monitor even better.

I would suggest the 6 core extreme CPU as it can be overclocked very well. I would suggest sandybridge but I have recently learned they are having problems with a faulty interface which may affect a hard drive dropping off and disappearing.

MOBO wise stick with ASUS or EVGA.

6GB of 1600mhz ram will be plenty for a gaming rig - three 2GB sticks.

PSU - go with an enermax 1200watt supply. People may argue that this is massive overkill but it gives you incredible stability and loads of PCI-express power supplies, if you want to run an SLI set-up on your graphics card.

Graphics - NVIDIA 580 all the way and if you can buy two and stick with EVGA, they offer a 10 year guarantee if you don't over clock them, and you wont need to.

Get an SSD - Crucial C300 256GB as this is a faster drive than the 128GB.

Win 7 Pro not ultimate! Pro is perfect as it has backup software.

Case - If there is money left go with LanLi for air cooling, or silverstone if you want a water cooling rig.

The only pitfall is your monitor wont support any higher resolution. If you can i would suggest eBAY for a DELL 24inch monitor 1900 x 1200 res or higher.

I have had a quick look on-line and what I have suggested is coming out just over £ 2500 but if you remove one of the 580's you will be under budget.

I wish I had you money as this would be a fun day building this rig!!

Good Luck ;)