Catalyst 10.8... or not?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Catalyst
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
September 18, 2010 7:45:24 AM

Hi again, guys.

I stumbled upon iObit's Game Booster which, as far as I can tell, does provide some extra resources to my system by disabling Windows Services and some applications (that you can select) that are pointless while gaming, and then re-enables them when you are done.

But while checking around its features, I noticed that it suggests me to upgrade to Catalyst 10.8, which I installed about a month ago. Mind you, I came and went thru various 10.x drivers, performing the tedious but necessary driver cleanup each time, going thru the .../ATI not .../ATI Technologies folder, what have you.

I had some problems installing the drivers and I thought I had succeded, but now I am not too sure.

Could it be that Windows XP is NOT supported in these drives?

This is a capture from Ati's Catalyst About:

Does version 2010 equal Catalys 10?

And here is what Game Booster is telling me:

I really find it hard to believe that we must go thru hoops and garters to install/uninstall drivers such as this and the updater cannot make the simplest task as to replace the old driver with the new one.

This is the only area, I think, where Nvidia beats ATI. :p  I don't remember such a messy installation/desinstallation process, and I had an Nvidia card for over 6 years.

NOTE:

Hmmm... before I submitted this, I went and check CCC's information center and, well, I can clearly see the 10.8 there.

Weird.

Should I blindly trust CCC?

More about : catalyst

September 18, 2010 8:41:16 AM

I recommend you install the latest 10.9 Driver from ati/amd's office website(google it) and then use driver sweeper on any previous versions of your drivers...
Score

Best solution

September 18, 2010 6:59:46 PM

Some people report 10.4s are good im using 10.5s there decent . And yes Amd drivers are a nightmare compared to nvidias

_
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 25, 2010 12:01:48 AM

Doom3klr said:
Some people report 10.4s are good im using 10.5s there decent . And yes Amd drivers are a nightmare compared to nvidias

_

I'll give that a try, Doom3klr. I dread the driver cleanup, but hell... there's a weekend ahead. :) 

Thanx.
Score
September 25, 2010 12:01:58 AM

Best answer selected by MauF.
Score
September 25, 2010 12:33:10 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score