I screwed up need help

truesony

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
so i am building a computer intel based using this an asus p6x58d-e, intel i7 950, corsair xms3 ram (6x2) 1600mhz i am using 2 asus gtx 480's....

and i have everything put into the case power is running through everything but i cant get my system to start....the system starts in the sense lights come on fans are running, but when i plug in a monitor (ive tried both video cards) nothing shows up and i cant turn the system off by pressing the power button on case, i have to flip the switch in the back. the DRAM_LED light is always shinning red i am not sure if this is a problem, but i have taken all of my ram out still shines red, i have used one 3 out of my 6 sticks still shines red.... i am really unsure what the problem is i have held the MEMOK! button and nothing happens....i think it is my memory, but i am unsure.

truesony

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
ok so i figured out the probably was my cpu power cord fell out...anyway but now when i boot it my computer says cpu temperature error. and shuts down with in like 30 seconds....i havent OC anything and im using the basic heatsink fan....with artic thermal paste.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Ah good work on finding the problem.

Does it actually respond or does it say that straight up? When its starting up tap [DEL] to enter the BIOS. Under PC Health Stats it should say the CPU temp, check if its too high like 60'C+.

Are you sure you mounted the HSF properly? If those i7s have the same push pins they can be a pain to get on. After 3 installs I still haven't got the hang of it :(.

If the BIOS shows it too hot and the fans on properly then it might be a board problem. I saw someone fix this by flashing the BIOS to a newer version.

truesony

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
my cpu temp is 85 C !!! why is it so high? the heatsink is on it with the artic thermal paste.. i might have used too much thermal paste is that a problem none of it got on my mobo, the heatsink fan is running i know by just looking at it, although it seems intels fan is terrible.

Yes, if in any doubt as to the seating/performance of the H.s, remove it,

clean the paste from the H.s and the chip with alcohol solution and a Q-tip,
watch a few vids on youtube for an idea on the amount of paste to use and techniques.
but pushpins are a common complaint, a lot of clockers wont even consider a hsf with pushpin fittings, once seated the hsf should be firmly secure, not loose in any way
hope this helps some,
Moto

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I don't I'd attempt a push pin install with the board in the case.

First one I did probably took me an hour :(. I tried to do it without taking the board out but I ended up having to. Second time took me about 30 minutes, man I hate push pins :(.

Theres probably a good technique to use which you could find from a youtube. If you know anyone whos a bit specced up on computers ask them if they've done them before and if so ask them to help you.