Sign in with
Your question

I screwed up need help

Last response: in Systems
November 9, 2010 4:54:41 AM

so i am building a computer intel based using this an asus p6x58d-e, intel i7 950, corsair xms3 ram (6x2) 1600mhz i am using 2 asus gtx 480's....

and i have everything put into the case power is running through everything but i cant get my system to start....the system starts in the sense lights come on fans are running, but when i plug in a monitor (ive tried both video cards) nothing shows up and i cant turn the system off by pressing the power button on case, i have to flip the switch in the back. the DRAM_LED light is always shinning red i am not sure if this is a problem, but i have taken all of my ram out still shines red, i have used one 3 out of my 6 sticks still shines red.... i am really unsure what the problem is i have held the MEMOK! button and nothing happens....i think it is my memory, but i am unsure.

More about : screwed

a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 4:57:49 AM

Download memtest,
run each stick for a couple of passes, should point out any issues,
another way is to boot the system one stick of ram at a time,
plus, is your bios up to date? 950's are only supported on that plate after 0108 version,
Moto
m
l
November 9, 2010 4:59:43 AM

i cant boot it at all.....nothing shows up on my monitor when i turn system on... i think my mobo is rejecting my ram...
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 5:04:34 AM

Ram should be supported on the mobo acc to manf website, could be bad sticks you have,
Moto
m
l
November 9, 2010 5:12:44 AM

would a system not start at all without memory?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 5:18:52 AM

no, if you have no memory installed it just will not boot,
I've got to take mine to bits now, I'm testing a 5870 card for a mate, I'll check back later though ok :) 
Moto
m
l
November 9, 2010 5:29:28 AM

ok so i figured out the probably was my cpu power cord fell out...anyway but now when i boot it my computer says cpu temperature error. and shuts down with in like 30 seconds....i havent OC anything and im using the basic heatsink fan....with artic thermal paste.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 6:44:58 AM

Ah good work on finding the problem.

Does it actually respond or does it say that straight up? When its starting up tap [DEL] to enter the BIOS. Under PC Health Stats it should say the CPU temp, check if its too high like 60'C+.

Are you sure you mounted the HSF properly? If those i7s have the same push pins they can be a pain to get on. After 3 installs I still haven't got the hang of it :( .

If the BIOS shows it too hot and the fans on properly then it might be a board problem. I saw someone fix this by flashing the BIOS to a newer version.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 7:04:24 AM

Back, glad to see you found a solution :) 
now it looks like you have other problems though, re-seat the hsf (did you use the correct amount of thermal paste?) and see what happens.
Moto
m
l
November 9, 2010 12:45:09 PM

my cpu temp is 85 C !!! why is it so high? the heatsink is on it with the artic thermal paste.. i might have used too much thermal paste is that a problem none of it got on my mobo, the heatsink fan is running i know by just looking at it, although it seems intels fan is terrible.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 1:29:32 PM

It sounds like the heatsink is improperly installed and one leg is not locked down properly.
m
l
November 9, 2010 1:43:07 PM

How would I know it seems like it is put on correctly the heatsink is crap tho, do I have to hold down the heatsink manually it is very loose
m
l
November 9, 2010 2:59:54 PM

Should I take out my processor and clean off the paste then reapply everything?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 3:09:55 PM

Yes, if in any doubt as to the seating/performance of the H.s, remove it,

clean the paste from the H.s and the chip with alcohol solution and a Q-tip,
watch a few vids on youtube for an idea on the amount of paste to use and techniques.
but pushpins are a common complaint, a lot of clockers wont even consider a hsf with pushpin fittings, once seated the hsf should be firmly secure, not loose in any way
hope this helps some,
Moto
m
l
November 9, 2010 6:46:24 PM

So Ithis is my first time using a pusbpin heatsink , how far does the pin go in?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 6:54:24 PM

I've not used them myself, I would assume theres a click point when its passed through the mobo sufficiently,

I'm sure there'll be youtube vids that show correct methods, I'll check back in the morning when I get in though, GL man
Moto
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 10:13:35 PM

Oh yay pushpins!

I've always installed those damn things with the board out so I can visually see they're latched. It takes more force than you might think.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 10, 2010 4:33:11 AM

I don't I'd attempt a push pin install with the board in the case.

First one I did probably took me an hour :( . I tried to do it without taking the board out but I ended up having to. Second time took me about 30 minutes, man I hate push pins :( .

Theres probably a good technique to use which you could find from a youtube. If you know anyone whos a bit specced up on computers ask them if they've done them before and if so ask them to help you.
m
l
!