HELP: what to do with my 32GB SSD drive? :-s

hazio123

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Hi all,

So I've just got a new computer (3rd gen i7 3770 8gb ram) and surprisingly it came with a 32GB SSD drive. After realising very quickly that I absolutely hated windows 8 I've reverted back to windows 7 64b.

However, my question is how do I use this SSD drive?

My first instinct was to install the OS on it, put the program's on a 500gb drive I have in the PC and keep all my personal files on another 2tb drive - also inside the pc. But after doing this (changing the temp folder, and the desktop location and the my documents etc.) I very quickly filled ths drive up... Within a matter of hours....

I'm thinking that this isn't the way forward. How would you recommend I use this 32gb SSD drive? I need a SIMPLE solution... I reading things about using it as a cache for another HDD, but it's all looking rather complicated...

Could somebody help? I'd like to get it right from the word go....

Thanks,
Harry

crazyg0053

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
What exactly are you filling up the 32GB drive with? Figure that out and put it on the HDD. I ran a 32GB Corsair Nova as a boot drive for 3 years without problem.

Use the drive only for your OS and core applications. Not games or media. After the windows 7 installation you should have roughly half the drive left.

I would disabled hibernation and move your page file to the HDD to save space. But other than that you should be fine.

I am fairly certain the 32GB ssd was intended to be used a a cache drive using the Intel Smart Response technology built into the motherboard to help improve the performance of the hard drive.

Since the pc is new there should be relevant information in your owner's manual.

What is the brand and model of your motherboard?

What is the brand and model of your ssd?

The answers to those two wquestions can help sort things out.

hazio123

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
thanks for the quick replays all...

well after installing windows I had 6gb left, but then after about 2 hours later of doing very little it had 3Gb left; I can just see it being a nightmare after a couple of months and as in my original post I'd like to get it right from the start.

I think the Intel SRT idea is the way forward and yes @JohnnyLucky, I think you're right. I don't have the model numbers to hand ATM and it didnt come with a handbook as its a refurbished dell from their outlet store; it's an XPS8500, has its own dell motherboard (not sure of model/chipset) and its a Samsung SSD which I seem to remember being described possibly as an 'SRT enhancement' which would sound about right. A quick bit of googling SRT/XPS8500 reveals some positive looking results...

Now I just have to figure out how to enable it and reinstall windows in the right place... I'm assuming I'll install on the HDD and the configure accordingly? are there any good guides that would point me in the right direction that you'd recommend?

Thanks again for the quick replies!

Harry