Autofocus randomly quit on D70, but then started working a..

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 13, 2005 2:26:44 PM

Has anyone else had this happen?

Last night, for no apparent reason, the autofocus on my Nikon D70 quit
working. In fact, it wasn't even trying to work. The focus aide was not
firing or anything. At first I thought maybe I'd entered a menu setting or
full-manual mode or something. But after reseting to defaults and changing
to full Auto mode, it still didn't work!

I turned it off and on, didn't fix it.

Finally, I took the battery out and then put it back in and turned it on.
Then Everything worked Great!

Has anyone else had this happen? It was so random!
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:33:20 PM

Oh, and before I get 100 posts suggesting my IQ is 20, I did in fact check
the AF/Manual focus switches on both the lens and the camera body before
trying the battery.

"hotchkisstrio" <paulyhotchkiss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone else had this happen?
>
> Last night, for no apparent reason, the autofocus on my Nikon D70 quit
> working. In fact, it wasn't even trying to work. The focus aide was not
> firing or anything. At first I thought maybe I'd entered a menu setting
or
> full-manual mode or something. But after reseting to defaults and
changing
> to full Auto mode, it still didn't work!
>
> I turned it off and on, didn't fix it.
>
> Finally, I took the battery out and then put it back in and turned it on.
> Then Everything worked Great!
>
> Has anyone else had this happen? It was so random!

January 13, 2005 10:36:10 PM

"hotchkisstrio" <paulyhotchkiss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone else had this happen?
>
> Last night, for no apparent reason, the autofocus on my Nikon D70 quit
> working. In fact, it wasn't even trying to work. The focus aide was not
> firing or anything. At first I thought maybe I'd entered a menu setting
or
> full-manual mode or something. But after reseting to defaults and
changing
> to full Auto mode, it still didn't work!
>
> I turned it off and on, didn't fix it.
>
> Finally, I took the battery out and then put it back in and turned it on.
> Then Everything worked Great!
>
> Has anyone else had this happen? It was so random!

Your description is consistent with a problem that I've encountered on a
couple of other
products. It sounds like a relatively rare IC problem caused by the IC
package not being
tied to its ground pin so that a static charge can build up between the die
and the package.
As you found out, the "fix" is to remove all power sources (the battery) for
a period of time
that allows the static charge to bleed out some shunt path and depending on
the IC and
related circuitry, this can take a few seconds or a few days. I have a
microwave oven which
has this problem and ran into a service person who also has a microwave with
this problem.
I first found such a bizarre problem when working as a test engineer and
having some very
strange circuit board failures, put them aside for further investigation.
When I looked at them
again, the problem was gone. I contacted the IC manufacturer who danced
around the issue
at first, then admitted the problem was a known issue and was being fixed.

To help keep this problem from occurring again, try to keep your D70 away
from sources
of static electricity, such as CRTs (TVs and computer monitors, excluding
LCDs).

Good luck and I hope this is an isolated instance as I own a D70.

George
January 13, 2005 10:36:11 PM

Yikes! I'm going to check my settings again though. Apparently you can
turn the AF assist light off, and this may have caused the problems. I hope
this was the cause, and not built up charge as you mentioned!

"George" <nowhere@newsonly.com> wrote in message

> "hotchkisstrio" <paulyhotchkiss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone else had this happen?
> >
> > Last night, for no apparent reason, the autofocus on my Nikon D70 quit
> > working. In fact, it wasn't even trying to work. The focus aide was
not
> > firing or anything. At first I thought maybe I'd entered a menu setting
> or
> > full-manual mode or something. But after reseting to defaults and
> changing
> > to full Auto mode, it still didn't work!
> >
> > I turned it off and on, didn't fix it.
> >
> > Finally, I took the battery out and then put it back in and turned it
on.
> > Then Everything worked Great!
> >
> > Has anyone else had this happen? It was so random!
> >

> Your description is consistent with a problem that I've encountered on a
> couple of other
> products. It sounds like a relatively rare IC problem caused by the IC
> package not being
> tied to its ground pin so that a static charge can build up between the
die
> and the package.
> As you found out, the "fix" is to remove all power sources (the battery)
for
> a period of time
> that allows the static charge to bleed out some shunt path and depending
on
> the IC and
> related circuitry, this can take a few seconds or a few days. I have a
> microwave oven which
> has this problem and ran into a service person who also has a microwave
with
> this problem.
> I first found such a bizarre problem when working as a test engineer and
> having some very
> strange circuit board failures, put them aside for further investigation.
> When I looked at them
> again, the problem was gone. I contacted the IC manufacturer who danced
> around the issue
> at first, then admitted the problem was a known issue and was being fixed.
>
> To help keep this problem from occurring again, try to keep your D70 away
> from sources
> of static electricity, such as CRTs (TVs and computer monitors, excluding
> LCDs).
>
> Good luck and I hope this is an isolated instance as I own a D70.
>
> George

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:42:24 PM

In article <cs6i1l$mh1$1@news01.intel.com>,
"hotchkisstrio" <paulyhotchkiss@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else had this happen?
>
> Last night, for no apparent reason, the autofocus on my Nikon D70 quit
> working. In fact, it wasn't even trying to work. The focus aide was not
> firing or anything. At first I thought maybe I'd entered a menu setting or
> full-manual mode or something. But after reseting to defaults and changing
> to full Auto mode, it still didn't work!
>
> I turned it off and on, didn't fix it.
>
> Finally, I took the battery out and then put it back in and turned it on.
> Then Everything worked Great!
>
> Has anyone else had this happen? It was so random!

As in last night when you were in a totally dark room with no
ambient light and smooth non textured walls? Or some other circumstance?
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:42:25 PM

Just stting in my living room with the lights on, where the camera had
worked fine every other night. And worked fine after I took out and put the
battery back in.

The Focus aide light was not even firing during the problem. When in full
auto mode that focus aide will fire even with the Lens cap on!

"Inaccessible" <pandemonium@pitchedpipes.com> wrote in message
news:p andemonium-41D080.14464313012005@news.verizon.net...
> In article <cs6i1l$mh1$1@news01.intel.com>,
> "hotchkisstrio" <paulyhotchkiss@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone else had this happen?
> >
> > Last night, for no apparent reason, the autofocus on my Nikon D70 quit
> > working. In fact, it wasn't even trying to work. The focus aide was
not
> > firing or anything. At first I thought maybe I'd entered a menu setting
or
> > full-manual mode or something. But after reseting to defaults and
changing
> > to full Auto mode, it still didn't work!
> >
> > I turned it off and on, didn't fix it.
> >
> > Finally, I took the battery out and then put it back in and turned it
on.
> > Then Everything worked Great!
> >
> > Has anyone else had this happen? It was so random!
>
> As in last night when you were in a totally dark room with no
> ambient light and smooth non textured walls? Or some other circumstance?
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:42:26 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:50:14 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "hotchkisstrio"
<paulyhotchkiss@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Just stting in my living room with the lights on, where the camera had
>worked fine every other night. And worked fine after I took out and put the
>battery back in.

Any chance the battery contacts were dirty and/or the battery didn't have a
good charge?

>The Focus aide light was not even firing during the problem. When in full
>auto mode that focus aide will fire even with the Lens cap on!

FWIW, not if you have it set the AF lamp to off.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
January 13, 2005 10:42:27 PM

> FWIW, not if you have it set the AF lamp to off.

That seems like a possible reason. I did not intentionally set that
yesterday, but perhaps I did accidentally. I think it would cause the
problem I had, since I was indoors at nighttime it would struggle wihtout
the focusing aide lamp. I'll look into that.

Thanks,
Paul

"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:50:14 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "hotchkisstrio"
> <paulyhotchkiss@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Just stting in my living room with the lights on, where the camera had
> >worked fine every other night. And worked fine after I took out and put
the
> >battery back in.
>
> Any chance the battery contacts were dirty and/or the battery didn't have
> good charge?
>
> >The Focus aide light was not even firing during the problem. When in
full
> >auto mode that focus aide will fire even with the Lens cap on!
>
> FWIW, not if you have it set the AF lamp to off.
> ----------
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:51:31 PM

Maybe you were dreaming.

Like you are now.... because I *never* top post.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:33:20 -0800, "hotchkisstrio"

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

JohnR66 wrote:
> "hotchkisstrio" <paulyhotchkiss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Last night, for no apparent reason, the autofocus on my Nikon D70
quit
> > working.
> Some electronic devices are provided with a tiny reset button you
need a pen
> to poke it with to restart the CPU within. Some cameras may have it,
I don't
> know about the D70, but removing the battery provided the same
function.
> Years ago I had a Canon A2 35mm SLR. The little buit in flash had a
> automatic zoom head. It started zooming in and out even though I was
not
> touching the lens. I had to remove the battery and insert to stop it.
Never
> happened again.
> John

I've had what seem to be software caused hardware freezes on my PC,
laptop, and Palm computers - all requiring hardware resets. It seems
perfectly logical to me that there could be similar problems in a
digital camera. Some obscure bug in the software, encountered only in
some rare combination of circumstances that the user can't reproduce,
would freeze the camera or disable some function in the camera.

I suggest reporting all of this in writing to Nikon. They may be able
to diagnose the problem or, if not, you may at least have a record that
this problem began and was reported during the warranty period. If it
happens again after the warranty expires you might be able to wrangle a
free fix from them.

Alan
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:32:44 PM

hotchkisstrio wrote:

> Yikes! I'm going to check my settings again though. Apparently you can
> turn the AF assist light off, and this may have caused the problems. I hope
> this was the cause, and not built up charge as you mentioned!

I wouldn't think the absence of the AF assist light would cause a
complete lack of any focusing attempts. I would expect the lens to hunt
from one end to the other, attempting to get a focus. Absolutely no
attempt - as per your initial post - would indicate failure of some sort
other than the focus lamp.

Colin.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:32:45 PM

And you would be correct!

I tried it last night, and even in low light with AF assist off, the lens
still hunts, and just has a hard time focusing.

"Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> hotchkisstrio wrote:
> >
> > Yikes! I'm going to check my settings again though. Apparently you can
> > turn the AF assist light off, and this may have caused the problems. I
hope
> > this was the cause, and not built up charge as you mentioned!
> >
> I wouldn't think the absence of the AF assist light would cause a
> complete lack of any focusing attempts. I would expect the lens to hunt
> from one end to the other, attempting to get a focus. Absolutely no
> attempt - as per your initial post - would indicate failure of some sort
> other than the focus lamp.
>
> Colin.
January 15, 2012 4:20:58 AM

meet people for sex widefield colorado web cam sex man couples having sex video black dominatrix porn free teens xxx xxx my first lesbian experience free gang bang ******* ebony shemale cumshots lesbian sex at beach teen gay sex galleries sex after sex abuse nude kingdom hearts hentai grade 6 sex vids free huge butt asian sex pics milf and son sex stories sex with dog nenas xxx gratis sex education for lesbians gallery family sex sex porn elderly women pics
Anonymous
January 16, 2012 6:33:17 PM

fat tranvestites porn cheerleader tryout porn porn password cracks forum porn mature boy bdsm movie downloads phone sex with horny wives sex shop sm gay male hardcore cum sex sex her bikini sex movie free lesbian video ameteur free ebony porn tgp pornstar angel kelly sex in family bed sex in puyallup girls sex bathroom hot milf *** video missy mayhem porn lesbian girls havin sex spring break lake havasu sex
!