Sign in with
Your question

Need Some Help (replace dead component or upgrade)

Last response: in Systems
November 9, 2010 2:40:57 PM

The ram in my system is on the fritz and needs to be replaced. I'm in college so funds are tight. I currently am on a hiatus from gaming (mostly progression WoW) but I am working with graphics and system intensive app's (high resolution imagery and video editing that needs to be done on windows based systems). Should I just replace the ram or upgrade?

The problem I am running into is massive temp spikes (idles at 55C just after boot and hits 75 under load with 2x120 fans 2x90 fans stock cooling on the graphics and a ZALMAN 9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler all in a Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case.

The cost of the new RAM is about 80 bucks would I be better off getting a new CPU/MB/RAM or would the demands of the new hardware blow a budget. 400 dollars max to upgrade everything including new cooler and PSU if I need it. 300 would be better if I could.

Current System Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz Socket 939 89W Dual-Core Processor ADA4200DAA5BV - OEM

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS

Creative Sound Blaster SB0610VP 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Audigy 4 SE Sound Card - OEM

ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT 500W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

XFX HD-477A-YDFC Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

If I could get some help on this issue it would be great.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 2:50:55 PM

Try running Memtest86+ to see if the ram is actually going bad or not. http://www.memtest.org/

With 300, you would only be able to get another dual core or even triple core, not much of a step up.

Have you tried overclocking? It's an old system anyways so not much to lose. Might give you the boost you need without the need to spend any money.
http://www.overclock.net/overclock.php?file=articles/ov...

m
l
November 9, 2010 2:56:24 PM

Memtest bounced it back bad (checked already). I have not yet figured out if it's just one bad stick or slot or what yet. Unfortunately I rely on this system a bit so if i nuke it I'm hosed. If I upped the budget to 400 could I get away with just replacing the MB/CPU/RAM or would I need to upgrade the cooler and PSU to handle the load of the new system?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 5:38:09 PM

AMD 955 is about $155, a decent mobo is around $120, 4gb ram is about $65. This should be well within budget. An aftermarket cooler would be another $30 if you plan to OC. You should be able to reuse everything else.

Alternately, see if you know anyone who may have some spare DDR RAM. Seeing as most people have made the jump to DDR2 or DDR3 already, they may have systems just sitting there with perfectly good parts.
m
l
November 16, 2010 1:22:20 AM

kureme said:
AMD 955 is about $155, a decent mobo is around $120, 4gb ram is about $65. This should be well within budget. An aftermarket cooler would be another $30 if you plan to OC. You should be able to reuse everything else.

Alternately, see if you know anyone who may have some spare DDR RAM. Seeing as most people have made the jump to DDR2 or DDR3 already, they may have systems just sitting there with perfectly good parts.

I managed to trace it all back to the PSU. (thanks recent PSU article) Sadly the PSU had almost fried my MB and seeing that socket 939 boards are kind of a waste at this point, decided to upgrade. Wound up with a nice PC P&C PSU Asus board and unlock friendly chip and some new ram for 403 shipped.

Thanks for all the help Kureme. You too Newegg.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2010 3:02:07 AM

Very nice, glad to help.
m
l
!