Sign in with
Your question

Hybridlike desktop setup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2010 1:57:55 PM

Some notebooks feature nvidia hybrid-sli technology. For those that have no clue what it is: it's basicly a notebook with a (high-end) dedicated graphics card, and an on-board (low-end) graphics card. When performing simple tasks like browsing the internet, the notebook will use the low-end graphics card. When doing tasks that require more performance the notebook will use the high-end card (or actually, both cards).

This got me thinking. Is it possible to make a desktop rig that has two graphics cards (i.e. a geforce gtx480 and a gt240) and make them work in this hybrid-like fashion? In such a way that when no real performance is needed the desktop turns off the gtx480 and uses the gt240 to keep power consumption low, and when performance is needed it turns off the gt240 and uses the gtx480? (or uses the gtx480 for graphics and the gt240 for physics for that matter).

I do suspect this might be hard to make transparant for the end-user. But, if it is possible, even if the user has to hand-select the card he wants to use, I might try and do this.

thanks

a c 235 U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 2:09:53 PM

nvidia and ATI both have hybrid motherboard and both companies dropped it like a bad habit

lets say you have GTX 480 sitting in your PC and use the integrated graphics to surf the web. the GTX 480 is still sucking juice and creating heat while you surf the web unless you physically unplug it. In fact it would hardly use any more power and generate any more heat then if you just used the GTX 480 for surfing so whats the point of the point of the hybrid graphics? which is why both companies dropped it.
September 18, 2010 2:33:03 PM

alright, maye I overestimate the gtx480's idle power consumption. Is it that close to other lower end cards?
Related resources
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 2:36:38 PM

Sir G said:
alright, maye I overestimate the gtx480's idle power consumption. Is it that close to other lower end cards?

it's not that its close (it's not) its that you still have to power it while it just sits there doing nothing.
September 18, 2010 7:19:21 PM

Really? Even if I would disable it in the device manager?

Thanks for the help so far, btw :) 
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 18, 2010 7:34:38 PM

you could do that, run two cables (one from each card) to the monitor. what would be the purpose though? save on your power bill?
September 19, 2010 10:42:30 AM

Yes, I suppose so. But I'm just speculating here. I can't really imagine how much of a power drain the gtx480 is. I got this idea because at first I was thinking about doing a gtx480 - gt240 graphics - physics combo. I use my computer for simulations using physics, as well as the occasional gaming (but I like playing highly realistic games, so that 'occasional' doesn't really matter :)  ) I wondered if when idling just the gt240 could be used, for power saving reasons, and that brought me here.
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 19, 2010 12:48:48 PM

i recall an article I read a few months back after the GTX 480 just came out. The writer stated, living in California, that he if upgraded from a GTX 260 to a GTX 480 and played video games for six hours a day (seven days a week) his power bill would increase $1.88 per month. Where I live, I could not buy a medium cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee with that.
September 19, 2010 4:49:52 PM

oh, that's next to nothing. I haven't got anything to worry about then. :p 
!