C++ compiler

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
does anyone know where do I get a C++ compiler for windows 7 x64 ??I had turboC++ v4.5 which worked fine with win xp sp2 x86 but this version doesn't work with win7 x64!!I have also changed the compatibly mode to xp for the installer but the compiler won't install at all!!!!So please tell me where do I get a c++ compiler compatible with win7 x64??

Solution
Wow, Turbo C++ is very, very old.

Have you tried Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition? It's a free "lite" version of Microsoft's full "Visual Studio 2008" product.

You can also get the "express" version of Visual C#. C# ("C Sharp") is a very C++ - like language that works with the .NET framework. Being an old C/C++ bigot myself I avoided it for quite some time but I finally tried it out several months ago and I'm very, very impressed by how easy it and the .NET framework are to use.
Wow, Turbo C++ is very, very old.

Have you tried Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition? It's a free "lite" version of Microsoft's full "Visual Studio 2008" product.

You can also get the "express" version of Visual C#. C# ("C Sharp") is a very C++ - like language that works with the .NET framework. Being an old C/C++ bigot myself I avoided it for quite some time but I finally tried it out several months ago and I'm very, very impressed by how easy it and the .NET framework are to use.

Solution

leon2006

Distinguished
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Version(Complete package) with free license for 90days.

You get everything for 32 and 64 bit apps. Use the windows updates to get latest pathes/updates.

Reload software before the 90 days

I should probably mention that if you want to compile "Turbo C"-vintage programs with a current compiler you may be in for a bit of a rude awakening. The development community has become much more aware of security issues and so there have been a lot of changes to the runtime library routines that aim to eliminate vulnerabilities like buffer overflow bugs.

As an example, the classic "strcpy" routine used to accept just a source and target parameter, but if you try to compile it with a current Microsoft compiler you'll get a bunch of warning messages and will be strongly advised to change the code to use new routines that also have a maximum length parameter (such as "strcpy_s").

You can suppress these warnings to compile the code unchanged, but it's probably a good idea to have a look at updating the code.

Here's a Microsoft article with more detail: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms379616%28VS.80%29.aspx

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I have tried to download visual c++ express edition from the Microsoft website but the download is only 2.6 Mb....I mean its not complete...The 2.6 Mb installer asks to download a few more files from the net but the problem is that my PC doesn't have a network connection...(I download the files on one computer and install them on the other one which I am unable to do in this case)...So if there is a complete version of visual C++ express for download then please inform me...