Sign in with
Your question

Fan controll!?!?!

Last response: in Systems
November 9, 2010 5:50:27 PM

my computer is extremely loud at the moment, i just installed a new fan a fox-2 fan for the back. im wondering if there are any programs (free ones) on the internet to control the fans in my unit so it wont be as loud?

More about : fan controll

a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 5:54:59 PM

Speedfan is a free one, there are others though
bear in mind you cant control fan speeds if there plugged into a molex, only if there plugged into either the mobo or a fan controller
Moto
m
l
November 9, 2010 6:01:31 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Speedfan is a free one, there are others though
bear in mind you cant control fan speeds if there plugged into a molex, only if there plugged into either the mobo or a fan controller
Moto

o so if its just pluged into the power supply i cant control it? so that knocks off the new one, which i think is the loud one cause its more poweriful than the others :p  but thanks for the tip anyways my man.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 6:34:02 PM

you could plug it into a fan controller as mentioned, but otherwise no, you cant control a molex line powered fan (unless you want to solder in a variable resistor yourself? :) 
Moto
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2010 7:22:54 PM

Exactly what motherboard do you have? And what fans, if any, are plugged into the motherboard? Most mobo's have some means of controlling speed on a modest number of fans. How many do you have?
m
l
November 10, 2010 11:46:32 AM

i have 6 fans in all in as ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3A32-MVP DELUXE (CPU 1)

I downloaded that fan controller and some of the fans says its running at 0 rpm... actually the all say it besides one thats running at 1452 rpm but fan 1,2 and 3 arent running at all then fan 1 on another line is running at what i previoustly mentioned then it says fan 2,3 and 4 under that and still no rpm reading on the fans. is that because those fans are stock or what? i wish i could copy my display and paste it here so you guys can see what im talking about ;P
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 10, 2010 4:53:45 PM

The fans aren't being detected because they aren't plugged into the motherboard and therefore can't be recognized by the software.

A 'real' fan controller is a piece of hardware used to raise/lower the fan speeds manually, like the NZXT Sentry 2 (the one I have).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 10, 2010 7:38:14 PM

You already have the free software you need, I suspect. Your mobo came with a CD of drivers, utilities, etc. If you look in your mobo manual on page 5-3, covering Section 5.2.3, you will see a list of the contents of the CD. On the next page it describes briefly a utility called ASUS PC Probe II. Install that and run it. It is a Windows app that, when run, sits "on top" of your display and allows you to see the temperatures monitored by the mobo and CPU and the speeds of the fans it controls. As others have said, it can ONLY tell you about fans connected to a mobo port. Its main advantage is that it is calibrated to give you the right answers for use with your particular mobo. Plus, as indicated, it came free!

Now, when it comes to CONTROLLING fan speeds, as opposed simply to reading them, see manual pages 4-31 and -32 regarding Q-Fan. The CPU fan can be set to: Silent mode (fixed minimum speed), Performance Mode (fixed full speed), or Optimal (automatic fan speed adjustment according to CPU temperature).

I must admit I'm disappointed that the manual gives no hint of how to adjust or fine-tune the CPU Optimal cooling mode, nor of how to do the same (if possible) for the two Chassis Fan ports on the mobo. My mobo does this with options to customize each cooling fan control loop in BIOS, but some mobos do it through utilities that run under Windows. Your mobo's manual does not tell you anything about this.

Since you have 6 fans in total you cannot simply attach them all to the mobo ports and control them that way. I'm presuming one is the CPU fan connected to the mobo CPU_FAN port. One or two you may have connected to mobo SYS_FANx ports (there are 2 available), but as I said above I'm not sure that gives you good control of them, even though you could see their speed using the ASUS PC Probe II utility. I presume all your others have Molex 4-pin connectors on them, plugged into Molex power output lines from the PSU. These last class of fans typically have only 2 wires - red and black - coming out of the fan for power, and NO yellow wire that carries a fan motor speed signal, so you cannot ever "see" their speed. However, any 3-pin fan (one that has Red (+ 12 VDC), Black (Ground) and Yellow (Speed output) wires from the fan motor) can provide the speed signal on the yellow line. It just has to be connected to a circuit that can use that signal. Mobo 3-pin ports do that. Third-party hardware fan controllers often have 3-pin connectors on them that allow you to read those speed signals and display them, as well as giving you manual speed control of such fans. But no free software utility can magically control speed or measure it on fans connected to a PSU Molex 4-pin output connector.
m
l
!