Voltage ram sandy bridge

I am building some sandy bridge systems with i72600K's and i5 2500K's using MSI GD55 and GD80 MB's.

I am looking at ram and reading a whole lot of people claiming that 1.5V is the max you can put into a sandy bridge. I have found absolutely no official release from intel or any reputable testing site to support these statements. I have however found that intel states sandy bridge can handle 1.35-1.8V on ram and you do not need to keep the VTT and ram voltage with in any margin from one another.

I have ran 1600Mhz kits on 1156 systems at 1.8V during over clocking and not had issues. These will be my first sandy bridge builds and i want to hear what issues people are having with them and where the hell the idea is that you need to use 1.5v ram. i have never in my life used DDR2 or 3 at 1.5V its always been 1.65.
4 answers Last reply
More about voltage sandy bridge
  1. If you notice that all the ram that is advertised as built for SB it says 1.5volts. One of many posts about the issue from the www http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1576652
  2. The 1.5 V had to come from somewhere. I prefer to go right to the source.

Page 11 of the 2nd Generation Intel Core Processor Family Desktop Datasheet

Section 1.2.1 System Memory Support
    DDR3 I/O Voltage of 1.5 V

Page 80 - Table 7-6. Processor System Agent I/O Buffer Supply DC Voltage and Current Specifications

VDDQ - Processor I/O supply voltage for DDR3

Minimum: 1.425 V
    Typical: 1.5 V
    Maximum: 1.575 V

Couldn't be any clearer than that.
  3. k, so much conflicting data. on one intel product sheet for there CPU it stated 1.8v and this sheet shows 1.575. ill pick up some 1.5 ram then. perhaps gskill.
  4. Gskill and Corsair are the favorites at the moment.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Sandy Bridge RAM Systems