Geforce GTX 470 will not post

hank_vilmes

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
I got a new PNY GeForce GTX 470 graphics card a few days ago and I absolutely can not get it to work. When I put it in and boot up the computer I get nothing but a black screen. The card has dual 6 pin PCI-e connectors where the card I'm upgrading from (geforce 8800 GTX) had one. The Fan on the new video card spins when I power on the computer but it will never give me a post screen or anything. I got a new PSU (850watt thermaltake) and that didn't do the trick either. I trolled the forums on here for a few hours trying to find other solutions and I tried a few different things; updating bios and running driver sweeper were the last 2 I did that. My friend has this exact card and put his in my case and it did the same thing. I put mine in his case and it booted up right away. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have completely ran out of ideas after the past few days.

PC specs:
Motherboard: Asus P5N-E SLI
CPU: Intel core 2 quad Q6700
Memory: 4 gigs G.Skill DDR2 PC2-6400
PSU: 850-watt Thermaltake TR2 RX

have you plugged in BOTH of those 6 pin power connectors?? Im sure your PSU will have them. Try the other PCI-e slot? Ive heard that some PCIe2.1 cards have issues with 1.x slots. Your motherboard has an older 1.1 slot. Have you tried resetting your BIOS with the jumper on the motherboard?