Can 1024x768 montior handle 5770 or 5750?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdpcfreak2010

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
i want to know if i can get 5770 if anyone told me to get a hd montior..
but i'm kinda on budget and kinda want to play now at max out setting
for game..i hope anyone can advise me for my pc.. mine's gigabyte 890gx
955 be,4gb gskill and my corsair 750tx..hmm. i hope i can get it solved without
wasting on new montior.

Solution
That's probably a good monitor; it looks a lot like the one I got, but without HDMI.

Mine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079

And my review of it back in February:

Pros: No dead pixels. Uniform brightness edge to edge. Viewing angles very good. Good price. Stand seems sturdy enough. Perfectly clear at native resolution. Fantastic amount of room on my Windows Desktop, and Guild Wars looks great.

Cons: I'd prefer a more center-mounted power button; care is needed not to turn the monitor when pressing the button on this one.

Other Thoughts: Using DVI connection from a HD4850. I have not tried the speakers, but I didn't plan to use them.

Since then, nothing has happened to or with it to alter my 5-star...

controlpanelheist

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Bottleneck? Resolution does not bottlecap anything. The word bottleneck isn't even affiliated with resolution.

If anything, the cards your getting is an overkill for your resolution. Get a 5670 or 5650 if you really wish to save money.

Timop

Distinguished
Hmm. With your setup, the 5770 will max out all games at that res, even crysis and maybe even metro. Though for 1080P it will start to lag, in which at least 1 5850 is needed for smooth game-play on all high settings.

Its do-able, but you have a great and modern system there, why would you want to use a 5-year monitor and hold it back? Its like running a Ferrari with toy car tires.

I'm not sure you need a new monitor.
Look at some benchmarks for the games you play.
Regardless of which (CPU or GPU) is doing the work, a higher resolution will ALWAYS be slower than a lower resolution.
If, as at your current 10x7 resolution, a game is slow, the bottleneck is more likely to be at the CPU, so a faster GPU won't make much difference. A HD5670 should do quite well at that resolution, especially if you're willing to turn AA off.
At 1920x1080, most likely the bottleneck will have shifted to the GPU, so a faster one WILL matter. Depending on your games, you probably won't want less than a HD5770, and you may still wish to turn AA off.

Assuming from your title that your current monitor is indeed 1024x768, if you want to get maximum performance out of that resolution, nothing more than a HD5750 is needed, or you could choose a HD5670 on a budget.
If you want to have 1920x1080 resolution, then yes that obviously means a new monitor. Depending on your games and whether or not you are willing to lower any settings (you say "max" so perhaps not), you would probably want a GTX460 or a HD5850; OR a pair of HD5770s in Crossfire. Why not get one HD5770, and see how it does? You can always add a second one for Crossfire if you need more performance.
You never did say what games you play...

That's probably a good monitor; it looks a lot like the one I got, but without HDMI.

Mine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079

And my review of it back in February:

Pros: No dead pixels. Uniform brightness edge to edge. Viewing angles very good. Good price. Stand seems sturdy enough. Perfectly clear at native resolution. Fantastic amount of room on my Windows Desktop, and Guild Wars looks great.

Cons: I'd prefer a more center-mounted power button; care is needed not to turn the monitor when pressing the button on this one.

Other Thoughts: Using DVI connection from a HD4850. I have not tried the speakers, but I didn't plan to use them.

Since then, nothing has happened to or with it to alter my 5-star rating.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.