Problems with new build..

dandydaniel

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
So I'm not too sure if this topic belongs here but I couldn't find any other place that seemed fitting so here we go...

I built this system on September 3rd, 2010. That was two months ago. Backtrack one month and that is when I first started noticing some weird issues, backtrack one week and that is when I got my first BSOD, and now, my computer runs google chrome and regular applications fine but when I start playing a game of SC2, the computer will freeze, stutter some audio, and then restart. Let me note that the problems that I first ran into also had to do with SC2 (StarCraft 2). My computer would run fine and then upon playing a game of SC2 (starting up a ladder game to be exact) the program would crash to desktop and only to desktop (no restarting, no freezing, no problems what so ever with the computer itself, just with SC2). So I thought for sure it was a software problem between SC2 and my computer. Well, that wasn't the case. I started figuring that it was my memory that went bad so I just went ahead and purchased some new memory and put it in and guess what? Same problem.. so I am utterly at a loss and just super frustrated since I can't really do anything on this "gaming" pc but surf the web..

Here is my build and a short list of what I have done to cancel out possible errors..

AMD X4 955BE
Asus M4A87TD USB3
Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB DDR3-1600 [replaced with Corsair 4gb DDR3-1600]\
WD Black 500GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I've reformatted
I've ran memtest86+ on the g.skill memory and it found zero errors
I've ran the windows memory diagnostic tool on 'extended' mode and it froze continuously @ 21% when testing the G.Skill ram.
I've tried two different versions of GPU drivers for my card.

I just find it really weird that my computer booted up and ran flawlessly in the beginning. I didn't run into a single problem.. But slowly yet surely, a small little application crashing to the desktop has led me to a non-stable computer..

Also, the BCCode that I have thrown has been 116 which tells me it is a video card related error.. Not sure what else I should do. Maybe a directX issue? Please, if anyone has any ideas, let me know!

dandydaniel

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Yeah, I'm gonna hit up my friend who has an ATi card to see if I can trouble shoot with this card for a day. And yeah, I literally sat infront of my computer for three hours before ordering my GTX460. I even made a vendiagram for comparing the 5770 v 460 >__<. Ended up going with the 460 since 1) I don't have a crossfire board 2) I was on a tight budget 3) I'm only playing SC2. But yeah, if the gpu does indeed seem to be the problem then I will definitely have to check out ATi. My GTX460 has lifetime warranty from Gigabyte so that makes me feel a bit better.

On a side note..

Like I said, I purchased new ram from BBuy to just troubleshoot a little bit and this is what I've found out in the 24 hours of running..

1) My computer crashed on the initial cold boot with the new memory (it crashed specifically 1 minute into a SC2 game. It did NOT crash @ bootup or @ desktop).

2) After that initial crash, my computer ran 100% fine for the next 12 hours. Including heavy SC2 gaming (played over 15 games, assortment of 1v1s, 2v2s, 3v3s, AND huge 4v4 battles went by smoothly).

3) So after the initial crash, I thought for sure it was NOT my memory that wasn't messed up but instead it was my motherboard or GPU. But now, since the computer ran so solid for the past 24 hours I'm second guessing myself even more.. So hopefully after today, I can have a better idea if this random string of stability has to do with the new memory fixing things or if this is just a lucky streak which will soon be snapped by countless BSODs and crashing =/.

Either way, thanks for the response malmental!

dandydaniel

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Mira Mesa. Hmm, I'm from up north but I have been to Costa Mesa, San Diego. SD is a beautiful area. Hell, California as a whole is a beaut.

But on to more pressing issues.. Or lack there of now?

Ran 100% stable for the second day straight. Not a single crash or nothing. I already got a RMA# from G.Skill so I'm going to run the system through this weekend and if I don't run into any errors, then I will be shipping off my funk'd out memory on Monday.

Cheers to all of the veterans! And here's to a nice four day weekend and to the hopes of my computer actually working! Yee!