Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Top end 470 (GB super OC) vs. Cyclone 460 - worth the extra $150???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2010 9:41:05 PM

I've been going back and forth so much between the 460s and 470s i'm goin nuts

I've been looking at the arguably best (according to TH) 470. The Gigabyte super OC.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's expensive as hell - $350

My other choice would be the 1gb cyclone 460
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

which is closer to $200.

I would do eventual SLI with either card. I guess what it comes down to is would the 470 be comparably superior enough to justify the extra money?

Both cards get good reviews. SLI is good too...

Anyway I was hoping to get some input on the matter.
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 19, 2010 12:48:37 AM

What about the rest of your specs?
Monitor resolution?

Well, if you want to do SLI later on your board then GTX460, 2xGTX460 would be an awesome. :) 
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 19, 2010 1:42:56 AM

wa1 said:
What about the rest of your specs?
Monitor resolution?

Well, if you want to do SLI later on your board then GTX460, 2xGTX460 would be an awesome. :) 

I will be gaming at 1920 x 1080.

build consists of

i5760 and asus p7p55d-e pro

xfx 850 psu

4gb g.skill

spinpoint f3

etc
Score
September 19, 2010 1:49:48 AM

I am in the process of buying the parts for a SLI 460 build. Every review I've read states that 2 x 460s crush a single 480. At 1920x1080 two 460s will be more than enough for any game.
Score
September 19, 2010 2:13:14 AM

beekermartin said:
I am in the process of buying the parts for a SLI 460 build. Every review I've read states that 2 x 460s crush a single 480. At 1920x1080 two 460s will be more than enough for any game.

Right... And two 470's would be even more than even more than enough, yeah?

wa1 said:
I'm pretty sure dual GTX460 are enough to maxed out almost every games at 1920x1080.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-sli...

http://www.fudzilla.com/reviews/reviews/reviews/evga-gt...

And how about further down the road when games are more demanding?? I would think that I could get more longevity out of dual giga super OC 470's...
Score
September 19, 2010 2:17:53 AM

Yes you could but is it worth the expense, higher power requirements and heat? That is up to you.
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 19, 2010 2:18:15 AM

Well, it's up to you, if you can afford GTX470 and another one later then go for it, dual GTX470 surely crush dual GTX460... :) 
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 19, 2010 2:30:28 AM

Why not get a reasonably priced GTX 470 instead?
Score
September 19, 2010 2:46:04 AM

jyjjy said:
Why not get a reasonably priced GTX 470 instead?

Well I'm sure you saw the TH review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gv-n470SO-13I-super...

They seem to think it's the best 470 so far. I figured if i'm getting one i might as well spend a few bucks more to get the top o the line...

unless you can recommend another of comparable performance and less price?
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 19, 2010 2:47:22 AM

The MSI Cyclone and the Hawk isn't worth it as I already have found complaints of hot VRM and in one case ware physical failure had resulted. The GTX 470 is the top if the pile Nvidia wise that is worth the money while the GTX 460 is the best bang for buck.
Score
September 19, 2010 3:08:10 AM

nforce4max said:
The MSI Cyclone and the Hawk isn't worth it as I already have found complaints of hot VRM and in one case ware physical failure had resulted. The GTX 470 is the top if the pile Nvidia wise that is worth the money while the GTX 460 is the best bang for buck.

I think thats a... recommendation for the 470?

* also I wanna hear from jyjjy again
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 19, 2010 12:41:11 PM

There are a few GTX 460 that aren't kamikaze as for the GTX 470 it is only a recommendation if you are interested in going 3 way one of these days down the road and have the psu for the job.
Score

Best solution

a c 376 U Graphics card
September 19, 2010 4:21:29 PM

muckle said:
Well I'm sure you saw the TH review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gv-n470SO-13I-super...

They seem to think it's the best 470 so far. I figured if i'm getting one i might as well spend a few bucks more to get the top o the line...

unless you can recommend another of comparable performance and less price?

Well yes, that(or perhaps the Twin Frozr) are the best GTX 470s. It's also $120 more than the 460 while the basic Gigabyte 470 is just $60 more. If $60 for better cooling is of little concern to you I can't see why you would even consider a significantly weaker card when the price gap is the same $60.
Considering you are at 1080p a single GTX 470 should really do the job for a very long while, especially when overclocked. That card you are looking at is already at 700mhz but it should easily be able to go up another 100-150mhz. At those speeds you aren't going to need to SLI unless you upgrade your monitor to 2560x1600 or want to go for a 3 monitor setup.
September 19, 2010 9:35:43 PM

I have an older 19'' lcd that tops out @ like 1280x1024 which i'll prob tack on as a second monitor.

So it would seem the super oc 470 is worth it for the cooler, lower power consumption and extra stock performance.

and yeah, i'll be at 1920x1080 - so like you say a single one should be good for some time. and i'm assuming that when games are more demanding i can extend my setups ability to high end game greatly by finally adding a second card for sli, yeah??

and by then the price will have gone down!
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2010 10:51:17 PM

I'd choose the 470 personally.
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 19, 2010 11:34:42 PM

muckle said:
I have an older 19'' lcd that tops out @ like 1280x1024 which i'll prob tack on as a second monitor.

So it would seem the super oc 470 is worth it for the cooler, lower power consumption and extra stock performance.

and yeah, i'll be at 1920x1080 - so like you say a single one should be good for some time. and i'm assuming that when games are more demanding i can extend my setups ability to high end game greatly by finally adding a second card for sli, yeah??

and by then the price will have gone down!

The second monitor will have very little effect on performance.
SLI will scale very well should you end up wanting another but I'm not sure you'll need it. The reality is that most PC games are either ports of console games or developed along side the console versions. Outside of a few PC exclusives there is unlikely to be a large increase in necessary graphical power to run games until new consoles are released. Usually consoles are announced or at least rumored 3ish years ahead of release and there really hasn't been much going on there so it will be a while. Both MS and Sony have decide to add motion sensing controllers ala the Wii and put off their next gen consoles. So for the foreseeable future almost all games will need to be developed to run fairly well on hardware that is already 4-5 years old.
So while you'll have SLI as an option if you aren't going to increase your resolution I suspect by the time you'll need an upgrade it will make more sense to just replace the 470 with a different card rather than double up with SLI.
Score
September 20, 2010 12:09:47 AM

jyjjy said:
So while you'll have SLI as an option if you aren't going to increase your resolution I suspect by the time you'll need an upgrade it will make more sense to just replace the 470 with a different card rather than double up with SLI.

Well I'm not really happy with the idea that if i did that my sole 470 would be pretty much worthless - if I ended up just getting a new card altogether down the road instead of another 470 for SLI.

I know i don't have a complete and thorough understanding of exactly how SLI increases performance, but I'd feel like my my initial investment in the top of the line 470 would be more worth it if in a year or two or whatever I added another to increase performance on more demanding games rather than a new card altogether.
Score
September 20, 2010 2:02:49 AM

If you're buying one at a time I would go for the 470 first and decide if you actually needed another one (doubt it). A single 460 won't be able to max games out at 1080p and you'll be wanting to upgrade almost immediately.

Its pretty much $340 to play now and decide if you want to spend more later or $440 now and get it over with.

Personally I would go for the 470 now and decide if another for SLI is needed later (probably not). Dual card configurations don't always go so smoothly (CF/SLI issues) and run hotter while eating more power.
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 2:24:51 AM

As I am nay have suggested a single GTX 470 for sli instead of a GTX 460. Why sli is simple known the pace of bloating of games these days. Give it a good year to year and a half there will likely be games out there that would be maxing out this card at increasingly lower ress while sli will extend the life of this setup by double once that road is taken but in the mean time a simple G92 setup will "manage" in most games with appropriate settings. SLI scaling is dependent on the cpu that you have and the resolution that you play at. So I assume that you have a 3+ghz cpu and are already playing at a 16:9 or a 16:10 as most people you will have no problems aside from heat in sli. Two way will scale the best while tree way will only improve further but bottleneck will come into play due to cpu but by then there may be even mainstream cards that will be replacing these as the GTX 460 is going to the GTX2xx.
Score
September 20, 2010 2:26:51 AM

karma831 said:
Its pretty much $340 to play now and decide if you want to spend more later or $440 now and get it over with.

You mean $340 (or 350) for the single 470 super overclock... what do you mean by the 440? dual 460's?
Score
September 20, 2010 2:49:36 AM

muckle said:
You mean $340 (or 350) for the single 470 super overclock... what do you mean by the 440? dual 460's?

Yea $340-350 for the Gigabyte Super Overclock version and $440 for dual 460s. You could always get a reference 470 for like $300ish. Personally I would just get a regular 470 and OC it as much as possible without adjusting voltages. The extra cooling and mild factory OC isn't worth $40-50 when I can OC it myself within a few seconds.
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 2:50:56 AM

muckle said:

$440 is assumed with the use of common sense two GTX 460 and yes they do scale very well.
Score
September 20, 2010 2:53:32 AM

@nforce - no need to be rude. your walls of broken english are painful to read btw
Score
September 20, 2010 3:05:58 AM

karma831 said:
Yea $340-350 for the Gigabyte Super Overclock version and $440 for dual 460s. You could always get a reference 470 for like $300ish. Personally I would just get a regular 470 and OC it as much as possible without adjusting voltages. The extra cooling and mild factory OC isn't worth $40-50 when I can OC it myself within a few seconds.

Well I'm leaning toward paying the premium and getting the super OC 470 now... I think the extra 40-50 bucks (what is that, a night out @ the bar?) would be worth it for the lower power consumption, less noise, and less heat, and of course the oc. the review on this card is pretty convining.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 3:07:36 AM

muckle said:
@nforce - no need to be rude. your walls of broken english are painful to read btw

:o  Less than ten sentence's is a wall of text? I can only assume you've never read a thing called a "book" then? :lol: 
Score
September 20, 2010 3:09:09 AM

Mousemonkey said:
:o  Less than ten sentence's is a wall of text? I can only assume you've never read a thing called a "book" then? :lol: 

I am an avid reader! And can communicate legibly too :kaola: 
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 3:19:37 AM

muckle said:

If you're that avid a reader then go and read up on SLi.
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 3:21:55 AM

muckle said:

Sure you are a expert grammar Nazi with an Ivy League education.

Sieg Heil the grammar Nazi. :pt1cable: 
Score
September 20, 2010 3:24:10 AM

Mousemonkey said:
If you're that avid a reader then go and read up on SLi.

Well that would take the fun out of communicating with the knowledgeable and admirable denizens of this community.

(and I have been reading up - a lot - for this build. there's only so much one can take in without getting the actual experience. that's why i find it helps to reach out to ppl who know this stuff
Score
September 20, 2010 3:27:30 AM

muckle said:
Well I'm leaning toward paying the premium and getting the super OC 470 now... I think the extra 40-50 bucks (what is that, a night out @ the bar?) would be worth it for the lower power consumption, less noise, and less heat, and of course the oc. the review on this card is pretty convining.

If you feel its worth the premium then you should go for it. To each his own ;)  .
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 3:28:32 AM

muckle said:
Well that would take the fun out of communicating with the knowledgeable and admirable denizens of this community.

(and I have been reading up - a lot - for this build. there's only so much one can take in without getting the actual experience. that's why i find it helps to reach out to ppl who know this stuff

You got what you asked for and still unsatisfied. You should then go else ware and beat around the bush about this subject on some other forum....

2x EVGA 7600gs
3x EVGA KO 7900GS
2X 9800gt (PNY +BFG)
3DFX voodoo 5 5500 agp (2x VSA100)
2x 7900gtx duo (quad sli)
Score
September 20, 2010 3:28:57 AM

nforce4max said:
Sure you are a expert grammar Nazi with an Ivy League education.

Sieg Heil the grammar Nazi. :pt1cable: 

*an expert grammar Nazi

Alright relax dude I just don't appreciate your little jab with the common sense remark because I didn't identify a particular graphic card setup by the dollar amount quoted. We're throwin a lot of numbers around here. Unnecessary that's all.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 3:29:05 AM

2x $200 GTX 460d in SLI would be my choice since it has a substantial increase in performance over a single GTX 470. They also run exceptionally cool and quiet, especially those cyclones, even in SLI (even cooler and quieter than a single GTX 470!). Sure, you can get one GTX 470 now and replace/get another one later but why not enjoy a lot more power now by simply paying $50 more? If you do end up SLI'ing two GTX 470s, you'll have a super-hot, super-loud setup. I personally wouldn't want that. But if you're adamant on buying a GTX 470, don't buy that overpriced Gigabyte.
Score
September 20, 2010 3:32:55 AM

skolpo said:
2x $200 GTX 460d in SLI would be my choice since it has a substantial increase in performance over a single GTX 470. They also run exceptionally cool and quiet, especially those cyclones, even in SLI (even cooler and quieter than a single GTX 470!). Sure, you can get one GTX 470 now and replace/get another one later but why not enjoy a lot more power now by simply paying $50 more? If you do end up SLI'ing two GTX 470s, you'll have a super-hot, super-loud setup. I personally wouldn't want that. But if you're adamant on buying a GTX 470, don't buy that overpriced Gigabyte.

Have you taken a look at the TH review of the new gigabyte? It's quiter and cooler than the reference... might negate the superhot superloud aspect.
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 3:37:02 AM

muckle said:
Have you taken a look at the TH review of the new gigabyte? It's quiter and cooler than the reference... might negate the superhot superloud aspect.

It is and that is what I bought. It is silent as if it wasn't there at all and it does run cool. Also it has VRM cooling unlike the common place kamikaze cards from Palit or MSI. Also there is enough room under the cooler for low profile vram heatinks. The vram stays fairly cool at 100% fan speed as does the rest of the card. Over all it is a sound purchase.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 3:45:36 AM

muckle said:

Then just look at the performance factor. A GTX 470 is considerably slower than 2 GTX 460s in SLI. It's definitely the best bang for your buck. My next choice would be a reasonably priced GTX 470. And why do you keep looking at that Gigabyte? There's so many other options when it comes to the GTX 470. You're willing to drop more money for a better cooler and not more money for better performance? But if you really want to pay more money for a non-reference cooler, then go for it.
Score
September 20, 2010 3:52:10 AM

skolpo said:
Then just look at the performance factor. A GTX 470 is considerably slower than 2 GTX 460s in SLI. It's definitely the best bang for your buck. My next choice would be a reasonably priced GTX 470. And why do you keep looking at that Gigabyte? There's so many other options when it comes to the GTX 470. You're willing to drop more money for a better cooler and not more money for better performance? But if you really want to pay more money for a non-reference cooler, then go for it.

I want this setup to last a while. While two 460s would certainly be more powerful than the 470 - the 470 could handle most stuff at my resolution (1920x1080) - and it have the option to add another later for even more power if i need it down the road

In regards to questioning the giga 470 - i keep looking at it because i'm under the impression it's the best one. that review shows that it has less noise and less heat than any other one so far. you question its performance - is there another 470 that performs better (or potentially could with OC)?
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 4:08:38 AM

muckle said:
I want this setup to last a while. While two 460s would certainly be more powerful than the 470 - the 470 could handle most stuff at my resolution (1920x1080) - and it have the option to add another later for even more power if i need it down the road

In regards to questioning the giga 470 - i keep looking at it because i'm under the impression it's the best one. that review shows that it has less noise and less heat than any other one so far. you question its performance - is there another 470 that performs better (or potentially could with OC)?

This idea of "buy one and SLI later" have become meaningless to me. I've tried that with the 9800GTX+ but ended up selling it off to get a GTX 285, thinking that I will keep this GTX 285 and buy another later. A year later, I ended up selling the GTX 285 and bought two GTX 460s for SLI. Point is, there will always be upgrades like DX10, DX11, tessellation, etc. that bar you from wanting to simply "buy one now and SLI later." It's not always simply about performance. My opinion is it's better to buy great performance with great value and then sell them later to upgrade if necessary. But I guess I'm only one opinion. If you're really stuck on buying a GTX 470, there is hardly any point in paying $60+ more dollars to for a factory overclocked, non-refernced cooler. Even a reference card can OC just as well as that Gigabyte. Even if the Gigabyte is capable of pushing it a few more clocks, 10-20 more MHz is hardly worth the price. The only ups I give is it's noise levels. However, I've seen a few MSI and Palit GTX 470s run just as quiet.
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 11:22:11 AM

muckle said:
Well I'm not really happy with the idea that if i did that my sole 470 would be pretty much worthless - if I ended up just getting a new card altogether down the road instead of another 470 for SLI.

I believe you are looking at this the wrong way... You are upset by the idea that the card you might buy is so powerful and overclocks so well that you probably won't need anything better for a long time? Would you prefer it was weaker?
Score
September 20, 2010 3:55:15 PM

jyjjy said:
I believe you are looking at this the wrong way... You are upset by the idea that the card you might buy is so powerful and overclocks so well that you probably won't need anything better for a long time? Would you prefer it was weaker?

Not weaker. I would prefer that I would be able to hang on to it, and use it in SLI down the road when one card isn't quite enough - rather than replacing it altogether. Getting another 470 for SLI would be cheaper (by then) and make me fell better about my initial investment in the first card, that's all.

Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 4:34:32 PM

Well the thing is that will likely be 2+ years from now which is 2+ generations down the road for video card technology. This is a GOOD thing. You WILL have the option of SLI, it is just unlikely to be the best option when the time comes. The only way for this not to be the case is if the card was weaker, so yes, you are essentially saying "I would feel better about my investment if my card wasn't quite so capable so that I'll want to buy a second one before too long." This makes no sense whatsoever IMO but if you are going to stick with that logic then go for the GTX 460 I guess.
Score
a c 612 U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 6:06:13 PM

Get the Gigabyte SuperOC. I've been doing quite a bit of research lately for these forums, and that appears to be "The One Card To Rule Them All"!
It's cheaper than two GTX460's in SLI.
It's almost a fast as a GTX480.
It's cooler keeps temps low, and best of all, it's one of the quietest cards out there.
And yes you can upgrade to SLI later, but it's so fast, I doubt you will feel a need to.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 6:32:00 PM

I briefly had a GTX 470 from MSI with the reference cooler. That stupid turbine fan is louder than the vent hood over my oven in the kitchen and louder than my AC on full blast and doesn't move much air, so if noise is an issue DO NOT buy a 470 with the reference cooler.
Score
September 20, 2010 7:06:21 PM

jyjjy said:
Well the thing is that will likely be 2+ years from now which is 2+ generations down the road for video card technology. This is a GOOD thing. You WILL have the option of SLI, it is just unlikely to be the best option when the time comes. The only way for this not to be the case is if the card was weaker, so yes, you are essentially saying "I would feel better about my investment if my card wasn't quite so capable so that I'll want to buy a second one before too long." This makes no sense whatsoever IMO but if you are going to stick with that logic then go for the GTX 460 I guess.

Makes sense. It's not that I want the 470 to become obsolete quickly - again, it's that I just hope SLI will carry it further down the road w/o becoming obsolete. I'm content with it being a single card solution for a while.

17seconds said:
Get the Gigabyte SuperOC. I've been doing quite a bit of research lately for these forums, and that appears to be "The One Card To Rule Them All"!
It's cheaper than two GTX460's in SLI.
It's almost a fast as a GTX480.
It's cooler keeps temps low, and best of all, it's one of the quietest cards out there.
And yes you can upgrade to SLI later, but it's so fast, I doubt you will feel a need to.

Thx. I'm pretty much convinced at this point.

benski said:
I briefly had a GTX 470 from MSI with the reference cooler. That stupid turbine fan is louder than the vent hood over my oven in the kitchen and louder than my AC on full blast and doesn't move much air, so if noise is an issue DO NOT buy a 470 with the reference cooler.

The gigabyte super OC, according to TH, draws 24 watts less power at peak, is about 7 degrees celsius cooler @ load, and 13 decibels quieter - at load.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 7:57:40 PM

Sounds like a good one. I think an 80 mm fan stuck to the side of the card with bubble gum would be better than the reference cooler.
Score
September 20, 2010 8:23:02 PM

A lot of people don't understand that the GTX 470 SOC by Gigabyte has a lot more too it than a reference cooler. For one, it's a completely different card. Gigabyte pretty much redid it, and it's more efficient and much more capable of overclocking. Not only does it come loaded with a 700/1400mhz OC, almost everyone reports getting to 800/1600mhz no problem, pushing it to the point of a gtx480. You're not going to be able to do that with a normal 470 for 300 dollars and have reasonable temperatures.

"PURE POWER ARCHITECTURE
Unlike Standard GTX 470 graphics cards using five power phases, the Gigabyte GV-N470SO-13I features a 14 phase PWM design with 12 for the GPU and 2 for memory, leading to more stable system and better overclocking capability. 12 power phase status LED indicators indicate graphics card’s current power phase, helping users monitor power consumption."

This card is also made with high-end parts, not cheap ones.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2010 8:57:39 PM

Fancy schmancy. The LED indicators seem like a waste though, who is going to be looking inside there case while gaming?
Score
September 30, 2010 6:25:21 AM

Best answer selected by muckle.
Score
!