Very confused regarding MBR, GPT UEFI

Axil

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
So i installed windows 8 onto my Mushkin Enhanced Deluxe 240 SSD. I installed it from a usb drive and used the UEFI option when i choose to boot from it. This was within the bios of my Asus p8z77-v lk.

Ok, When i went to initialize my data drive, i noticed the SSD was in MBR format. I thought if it were installed via UEFI it had to be GPT.

Is there any reason for me to reinstall windows 8 in GPT format on the drive, and if so, how do i do that? I had thought choosing the UEFI option on the install media was enough.

Solution
Honestly, I don't think going with GPT over MBR will have any bearing on your future operation from any practical standpoint.

Your SSD's performance will not be affected either way. Just make sure you are running in AHCI (or RAID as appropriate) mode so that TRIM will be enabled and you'll be good to go.

Axil

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

nobody knows? =(

I was hoping to get this sorted so i can start installing all my drivers... not sure if i'm going to have to reinstall windows or not

Axil

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, i get that either one works, i'm just not sure which is better.

I've read about 100 posts at this point and the consensus seems to be

GPT has more safeguards against data corruptions due to how it hands partitions

GPT should boot faster on a UEFI enabled mobo (mine is)

However i've also heard that SSD's are designed with "MBR in mind" whatever that means.

and that GPT is newer so might be buggy.

I really don't mind reinstalling if GPT is better. But i really don't want to end up in a situation where my SSD is performing badly due to GPT, or something like that.

So i guess my question is if you were performing a fresh install of windows 8 on a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240gb, on a UEFI mobo, which would you choose?

Thanks for the quick answer btw. =)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Honestly, I don't think going with GPT over MBR will have any bearing on your future operation from any practical standpoint.

Your SSD's performance will not be affected either way. Just make sure you are running in AHCI (or RAID as appropriate) mode so that TRIM will be enabled and you'll be good to go.

Solution