Please help me :(

Eroge

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
It's my first time building a computer, I've been at this for hours now, and I have no idea how to power my graphics card.

I've got this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127518

I see I think 3 power connectors on the side of the graphics card, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to connect all 3 things to the power supply. I don't want to kill my $215 card. The instructions say how to put the card on the motherboard, but not how to connect the power to it >.<

What power supply do you have? It should have 2 6 pin or 6+2 pin PCI-E cables that you will plug into those two 6 pin sockets on the back of the board, thats all you need to do to power the card, there are only two connectors that go to the power supply, if you think you found a third post a picture of it first, it likely isnt meant for power.

Once you have the two PCI-E power cables hooked in you will have power for the card and will be good to go.

Eroge

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Ok, the graphics card has 2 6pin PCI-E inputs, and 1 other next to it that looks like a Sata but with only 3 pins. The graphics card also came with a bunch of adapters...and these little red and black wires that I have no idea what they are.

So I guess I need to plug 2 wires from the power supply into the video card and I'm done?

Thanks for the fast reply!!! I need to sleep soon

Fail. Lol, The PCI 6 pins are connectors attached to the PSU. Those 3 pins, they're just there, part of the bus on the card. The 6 pins is what powers the actual card. Do you have 6 pin connectors on your PSU? What model is your PSU. Please tell me you didn't cheap out on a crappy 20$-40$ psu.

Eroge

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Ok, so the power button worked..All fans work, but there is a red light on the mobo, red light on the graphics card, no picture on my monitor, and the power button will NOT shut off my computer. :( What the hell. How can the power button turn it on, but not power it off?

I don't want to unplug it from the back

Eroge

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
List of hardware:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core

Thermaltake TR2 W0388RU 600W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply

LG 22X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH22LS50 LightScribe Support - OEM

NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

BIOSTAR TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Eroge

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Looks like I forgot the CPU power. I didn't even notice it there lol

Now when I turn my computer on, all the fans spin, the cd drive opens and closes, the reset buttons works, both stick of ram are installed with no error yet. I'm not yet sure if the harddrive is working

When I turn the computer on, it takes me straight to "hardware Monitor" and says "reboot and select proper boot device." Which is why I'm not sure if the harddrive is working. I thought it would take me to BIOS but I don't see it.

I'm going to sleep now for work in 3 hours, but when I get home I'll continue setting this up. I appreciate the replies, thank you!

So you have blank Hard Drive and an empty optical drive ? If it's not b;lank, it needs to be freshly formatted.

It would appear that the machine has no OS to boot from. Put the Windows DVD into the optical drive and try again.

Eroge

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Yea I still need to install windows 7. But I wanted to check the BIOS first before doing that...I find it odd that when I turn my computer on, it takes me straight to "Hardware Monitor" instead of the motherboard screen.

Also, is it important to plug in system fan 1 and 2? I know that when the fans are plugged in there, it tells me the RPM of the fan...but is it important? Are the system fan inputs the things that auto-control my fans speed? Because I have 4 fans, and only 2 system fan slots on the motherboard and would like to know what exactly they do.

Eroge

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Quick boot was enabled, and my BIOS only shows for under a second xD So I had to know to keep pressing "delete" to get into it. Alright so it looks like that works. I'm still wondering about the system fan ports though!