Windows 8 recognizes 2nd Hard Drive, but BIOS doesn't

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 8
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 20, 2013 5:20:38 PM

Hi,
I just built my first PC a week ago, and everything worked aside from the fact that I was missing a SATA cable to connect my 2nd hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM) to the motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V LK). Yesterday I installed the cable, and here's the weird part: the 2nd hard drive runs fine in windows 8, but when I check the BIOS, it doesn't appear. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks for your help.

More about : windows recognizes 2nd hard drive bios

February 20, 2013 8:09:15 PM

Have you resetted your BIOS?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a c 940 G Storage
February 20, 2013 8:20:28 PM

Examine the sata port you have connected the drive to and then in the bios see if that port is set to ahci or ide. If its set to raid then the pc bios wont see it but the raid bios/setup will.
m
l
February 22, 2013 1:27:50 AM

Hmm... I'm still getting acquainted with the BIOS. I haven't figured out how to check ports in the BIOS (I'd try right now but the comp is in the middle of a download and my internet is slooowwww.

However, I did try opening the boot menu in the BIOS earlier today, and It appeared to have both hard drives in there. The reason I thought it wasn't being detected at all was that the 2nd drive does not appear in the Boot Priority section. Is there a setting that can enable it to appear there, or is it still some kind of miscommunication between the drive and the mobo?
m
l
!