Samsung 840 Pro or OCZ Vector?

packerfanatic

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Thanks for the reply, but as you say; you own 3 of them- so you would naturally be biased on this case (no offense).
I'd like a objective, unbiased view on this one :)

OCZ's Vertex 4 and Vector lines are both pretty solid. It's the Vertex 3 and Vertex 2 lines that were pretty glitchy; and those problems have been fixed if you update the drives to the latest firmware version and your motherboard's BIOS to its latest version.

The Samsung 840 Pro and the OCZ Vector are pretty much neck-and-neck and the performance department.

I own 2 Vertex 2 drives (in RAID-0), so I would personally buy the Vector.

That being said, I would suggest you get the Samsung 840 Pro.

OCZ is having some financial problems and might sell their Power Supply division, or if things get really serious they might have another company buy them out.

So until they get things straightened out I suggest that you get the Samsung 840 pro.

packerfanatic

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Alright, thank you. Seems like I can't go wrong with either, though I just occasionally hear people talking about Vector being the fastest SSD on the market... And prices being almost exactly the same here in Denmark just makes it so much harder. Unless I hear anything else, I guess I'll stick with good'ole sammy :)

Correct, the Vector is the slightly faster drive; but they're so close that you wouldn't notice the difference if you had the 2 drives in identical systems side-by-side.

Speed and performance is relative. It depends on a user's pc configuration, software applications, and what the user does with the computer.

I normally recommend Samsung. Tom's Hardware published the very first Samsung ssd review on 17 December 2007. Samsung has come along way since then. The 470 and the 830 are excellent ssd's. It looks like the 840 Pro will be a winner too.

I maintain the ssd data base listed in the sticky at the very top of this form section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the OCZ and Samsung sections and follow the links to the technical reviews of the Vector, 840 Pro, and other other ssd you might be interested in.

packerfanatic

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Thanks alot!!! please make a similar site just with gpus, cpus etc. :pt1cable:

packerfanatic

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
I've just looked at several reviews for both SSDs, but all the reviews were for the 256GB versions.
So my question is; Will the ratio be the same? For an example if the bootup time was better on the 256GB version of the 840 Pro over the 256GB version of the Vector, will the bootup time then also be better on 128GB version of the 840 Pro over 128GB Vector? :)

Look at benchmarks and look at the Random 4K Read and Random 4K Write results.

Whichever drive has higher results will have faster bootup times.

Actually 4K Writes are more important than 4K Reads when it pertains to startup time.

Here's an article on the subject: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/beginners-guide/the-ssd-manufacturers-bluff/

The general rule of thumb is that a low capacity ssd will perform a little bit slower than a large capacity ssd. A user would would have to run a synthetic benchmark in order to be measure the difference.

The answer to your specific question about bootup time cannot be answered. It depends on which motherboard and cpu you have, BIOS and motherboard settings, which operating system you have, what the operating system is doing while booting, etc. etc. etc. The number of possible variations is huge. It is like trying to select winning lottery numbers.

The main concern should be overall long term performance during actual real world use rather than synthetic benchmarks.

At this high end of SSD's, there will be no noticeable difference in real usage between various drives. Pretty soon there will be almost none as we hit SATAIII's limitations.

I would go for the Vector personally, but that's only because I am biased to them already owning and enjoying a Vertex 4.
So ultimately you could pick between them based on whichever looks best, is cheapest on the day or just general sentiment toward either company. You wont make a bad decision either way.

Between Samsung 840 Pro and OCZ Vector, I'd recommend whichever is cheapest at the time. They're pretty much tied as far as performance, reliability, and such goes and are both easily tied for best in class of consumer SSDs.

packerfanatic

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

I'm aware of all of this, I meant it like if you put them neck vs neck on the same test bench for an example, would the 128GB versions perform similar to their big brothers, just on a lower level (speeds etc.) :)

Ahh, I think I get what you're saying. You're asking if the lower end models from both Vector and 840 Pro are outperformed by their bigger brothers by similarly equal amounts. I don't have a conclusive answer to that myself, but I can say that I'd think so. Whether or not the same is true for something like a 64GB model would be a more difficult question to estimate on.

packerfanatic

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

yeah... something like that..! ;) 840 pro 256gb has the better gaming benchmarks over vector 256gb, so I think I'll stick with sammy :)

packerfanatic

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

I highly suggest you take a read then :)