Graphics card or monitor problem?

Hi all,

My display randomly turns off for like 2-3 seconds and then comes back on. It happened before a full reinstall and it still happens after.

House wiring is recent and fine for everything else, using surge protection.

It happens with all recent nvidia drivers on a 460.

I don't think I've ever noticed it happening during a game so I don't think it;s a power issue. Seems to happen in windows and kinda randomly. But if it does once it will usually happen a few times shortly after.

I disabled all the power management stuff afaik in both the old and new install.

Windows 7 x64. MSSE turns up nothing and never has. I am super paranoid about security so I doubt it's anything like that.

I use an hdmi switch but it never does this when I am using the monitor and a ps3.

I turned off all the monitors auto switching stuff and have hdmi only selected.

What do you guys think? Bad cable? Bad card? Bad monitor?
7 answers Last reply
More about graphics card monitor problem
  1. I think if it was the card you would get a message on the monitor that it is not getting signal.
  2. When I turn off the computer I do get the no signal message after about 5 seconds. I don't get that when the monitor goes blank for 2 seconds. The monitor literally just goes blank for about 2 seconds and then comes back. In fact, it just happened twice right now.
  3. I had a similar issue with a Samsung monitor it eventually died. Can you check the monitor on an other computer?
  4. Well sort of. It doesn't do this when I plug in the hdmi from my ps3. It didn't do it while I just watched a movie.
  5. You are using HDMI from the computer to the switch and then from the switch to the monitor and same with the PS3?
  6. Yes normally they both go through the switch. I have also tried going directly without using the switch and it still happens.
  7. According to PS3 monitor is fine. Switch is fine. Leaves us with cable from card or card it self.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Graphics