Maxtor Onetouch

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Maxtor
  • Windows XP
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 20, 2013 11:31:04 PM

I have an old Maxtor OneTouch external USB hard drive. I think it is 100GB. Originally used on Windows 98 system Fat32 format. Last used on Windows XP system. I had 5 external USB hard drives hooked up to that computer. It died a few years back and 3 out of the 5 external hard drives plugged right in to another computer running Windows XP. This particular drive I am asking about plugs in, says it is installing software and then ready to use. For some reason it is not being assigned a drive letter so I can't access it. I get the same problem on both XP and 7.

Any help accessing it / assigning it a drive letter, would be greatly appreciated.

More about : maxtor onetouch

a c 79 G Storage
February 21, 2013 4:49:21 PM

It's quite common for Windows to fail to assign a drive letter to external hard drives, but is easily remedied by assigning a drive letter manually:

Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

In the bottom-right panel, find the bar which represents the drive in question (it will have no drive name, no drive letter of course, and will be labelled as "Raw".

Right-click this bar and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths"

Click "Add"

Choose a letter.

Click 'OK' and wait for the drive name and letter to appear on the bar.

You will then be able to access that drive in the usual places in Windows.

m
l
February 21, 2013 5:38:06 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I did not find the disk labeled RAW nor did I have an option to change drive letter and paths.

This is what I get:

Right clicking on the bar my choices are:
New Simple Volume...
Properties
Help

Right clicking on the label my choices are:
Convert to Dynamic Disk..
Convert to GPT Disk
Properties
Help

Not sure what any of that means or what I should try. I was mistaken in my earlier post about drive size, it is 200GB, not 100GB. It was pretty much full and I'd rather not lose any data stored on it. It says it is 189.92GB Unallocated.
m
l
!