Sign in with
Your question

2Tb Internal HDD Advice.Seagate or WD or Toshiba ?

Last response: in Storage
February 21, 2013 12:30:38 AM

I'm about to buy 2Tb Internal Hard drive but i'm very much confused between Seagate,WD Green and Toshiba.All 3 has very good reviews...

My Purpose is mainly storing Huge data and i'm looking for realiable Drive with good support and warranty...
February 21, 2013 3:23:54 AM

koolsam said:
I'm about to buy 2Tb Internal Hard drive but i'm very much confused between Seagate,WD Green and Toshiba.All 3 has very good reviews...

My Purpose is mainly storing Huge data and i'm looking for realiable Drive with good support and warranty...

What is your budget? Don't get the WD Green, many people have said that it's a pretty terrible drive. You would want to look for WD Black Drives. I don't think I would go for Toshiba either.
a c 94 G Storage
February 21, 2013 3:57:20 AM

Wouldnt go Toshiba, aren't really that big a competitor in the HDD space.

Betwen WD and Seagate, would say both are about equal. WD has a higher price tag and a longer warranty, Seagate is generally cheaper (especially on 2TB drives) but only a 1yr warranty.
IMO, go for the Seagate. A HDD will fail in the first few months or never in my experience, so the longer warranty is pointless.

Also remember that all come from the exact same factory most likely, quality wise theres no real difference.
Related resources
February 21, 2013 4:10:52 AM

ipwn3r456 said:
What is your budget? Don't get the WD Green, many people have said that it's a pretty terrible drive. You would want to look for WD Black Drives. I don't think I would go for Toshiba either.

Sadly my budget is upto WD green.Can't go for WD black..
Seems Either Seagate or Toshiba..
February 21, 2013 4:22:15 AM

manofchalk said:
Wouldnt go Toshiba, aren't really that big a competitor in the HDD space.

Betwen WD and Seagate, would say both are about equal. WD has a higher price tag and a longer warranty, Seagate is generally cheaper (especially on 2TB drives) but only a 1yr warranty.
IMO, go for the Seagate. A HDD will fail in the first few months or never in my experience, so the longer warranty is pointless.

Also remember that all come from the exact same factory most likely, quality wise theres no real difference.

I'm using the WD 80gb,its been 7years now still running..:) 

I wanna go for Seagate but the replacement period is 1month here in my place.Is it normal period for replacement?
February 21, 2013 11:29:31 PM

If I were you, I would select the WD Green, for my WD 1TB hard drive still works well after one year.
February 22, 2013 1:03:40 AM

If the WD Black drives are too expensive, then I would go for the Seagate drives as others said.
July 26, 2013 6:24:21 AM

Stay clear of the Western Digital. I had a WD Green go bad in less than 2 years, numerous bad sectors out of the blue.
August 12, 2013 5:41:21 PM

Hitachi Drives were the best in my experience. Performance & Reliability.
Hitachi was taken over by WD, and then WD was forced to sell to Toshiba.

I will be watching Toshiba very closely, to see how their HDD's compare.
January 18, 2014 10:55:51 PM

I would go with Western Digital, or Iomega based on my past experience.
February 22, 2014 3:20:00 PM

With Seagate buying up markets share, it becoming impossible to escape there products. IBM was made by toshiba , samsung made there own. WD and Seagate are the main players in the market. In my experience WD stands a chance of lasting for the long haul. Seagate will die shortly after the warranty period, without warning. For want of a better option, WD seems to be the other option.
February 22, 2014 4:57:17 PM

koolsam said:

Got the WD's C.Black, performance wise they are good but their's too much vibration on mine. Either my case has bad HDD tray design and anti vibration design or the WD drives are just noisy. Everytime they are running its just very noisy through vibration but when they go sleep mode on 20 mins of inactivity my whole Case just go silent.

I would not Recommend Toshiba.

My old PC had a 2TB Seagate and been with me for a couple of years now. Still runs okay and they are pretty silent compared to my new WD's Ive also owned a couple of Seagate Portable Drives and they are pretty silent as well. The only way WD's are silent is when they go on sleep mode after 20 minutes of not actively used.

I would suggest a 2TB Seagate as the alternative.

!