Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

2Tb Internal HDD Advice.Seagate or WD or Toshiba ?

Last response: in Storage
Share
February 21, 2013 12:30:38 AM

I'm about to buy 2Tb Internal Hard drive but i'm very much confused between Seagate,WD Green and Toshiba.All 3 has very good reviews...

My Purpose is mainly storing Huge data and i'm looking for realiable Drive with good support and warranty...

More about : 2tb internal hdd advice seagate toshiba

February 21, 2013 3:23:54 AM

koolsam said:
I'm about to buy 2Tb Internal Hard drive but i'm very much confused between Seagate,WD Green and Toshiba.All 3 has very good reviews...

My Purpose is mainly storing Huge data and i'm looking for realiable Drive with good support and warranty...


What is your budget? Don't get the WD Green, many people have said that it's a pretty terrible drive. You would want to look for WD Black Drives. I don't think I would go for Toshiba either.
Score
0
a c 105 G Storage
February 21, 2013 3:57:20 AM

Wouldnt go Toshiba, aren't really that big a competitor in the HDD space.

Betwen WD and Seagate, would say both are about equal. WD has a higher price tag and a longer warranty, Seagate is generally cheaper (especially on 2TB drives) but only a 1yr warranty.
IMO, go for the Seagate. A HDD will fail in the first few months or never in my experience, so the longer warranty is pointless.

Also remember that all come from the exact same factory most likely, quality wise theres no real difference.
Score
0
Related resources
February 21, 2013 4:10:52 AM

ipwn3r456 said:
What is your budget? Don't get the WD Green, many people have said that it's a pretty terrible drive. You would want to look for WD Black Drives. I don't think I would go for Toshiba either.



Sadly my budget is upto WD green.Can't go for WD black..
Seems Either Seagate or Toshiba..
Score
0
February 21, 2013 4:22:15 AM

manofchalk said:
Wouldnt go Toshiba, aren't really that big a competitor in the HDD space.

Betwen WD and Seagate, would say both are about equal. WD has a higher price tag and a longer warranty, Seagate is generally cheaper (especially on 2TB drives) but only a 1yr warranty.
IMO, go for the Seagate. A HDD will fail in the first few months or never in my experience, so the longer warranty is pointless.

Also remember that all come from the exact same factory most likely, quality wise theres no real difference.


I'm using the WD 80gb,its been 7years now still running..:) 

I wanna go for Seagate but the replacement period is 1month here in my place.Is it normal period for replacement?
Score
0
February 21, 2013 11:29:31 PM

If I were you, I would select the WD Green, for my WD 1TB hard drive still works well after one year.
Score
0
February 22, 2013 1:03:40 AM

If the WD Black drives are too expensive, then I would go for the Seagate drives as others said.
Score
0
July 26, 2013 6:24:21 AM

Stay clear of the Western Digital. I had a WD Green go bad in less than 2 years, numerous bad sectors out of the blue.
Score
0
August 12, 2013 5:41:21 PM

Hitachi Drives were the best in my experience. Performance & Reliability.
Hitachi was taken over by WD, and then WD was forced to sell to Toshiba.

I will be watching Toshiba very closely, to see how their HDD's compare.
Score
0
January 18, 2014 10:55:51 PM

I would go with Western Digital, or Iomega based on my past experience.
Score
0
February 22, 2014 3:20:00 PM

With Seagate buying up markets share, it becoming impossible to escape there products. IBM was made by toshiba , samsung made there own. WD and Seagate are the main players in the market. In my experience WD stands a chance of lasting for the long haul. Seagate will die shortly after the warranty period, without warning. For want of a better option, WD seems to be the other option.
Score
0
February 22, 2014 4:57:17 PM

koolsam said:
I'm about to buy 2Tb Internal Hard drive but i'm very much confused between Seagate,WD Green and Toshiba.All 3 has very good reviews...

My Purpose is mainly storing Huge data and i'm looking for realiable Drive with good support and warranty...


Got the WD's C.Black, performance wise they are good but their's too much vibration on mine. Either my case has bad HDD tray design and anti vibration design or the WD drives are just noisy. Everytime they are running its just very noisy through vibration but when they go sleep mode on 20 mins of inactivity my whole Case just go silent.

I would not Recommend Toshiba.

My old PC had a 2TB Seagate and been with me for a couple of years now. Still runs okay and they are pretty silent compared to my new WD's Ive also owned a couple of Seagate Portable Drives and they are pretty silent as well. The only way WD's are silent is when they go on sleep mode after 20 minutes of not actively used.

I would suggest a 2TB Seagate as the alternative.

Score
0
September 2, 2014 8:36:34 AM

Peter ACT said:
With Seagate buying up markets share, it becoming impossible to escape there products. IBM was made by toshiba , samsung made there own. WD and Seagate are the main players in the market. In my experience WD stands a chance of lasting for the long haul. Seagate will die shortly after the warranty period, without warning. For want of a better option, WD seems to be the other option.


Peter is on the money. The 2 big manufacturers are going to swallow up the whole market and your choices are going to be even more limited, but in my opinion avoid Seagate like the plague.

Over the last 20 years I've bought dozens and dozens of HDD's between 1.2gb and 3tb.
Hitachi: Only a small selection were Hitachi but I've never had one of those fail, infact I still have a 500gb in this very machine thats about 9 years old.
Samsung: Bought quite a few, never had one actually fail, just one that seemed to have some errors 3 years ago. But after full formatting the drive seemed ok and is still working in a machine now. Not trusted with anything important though obviously.
Western Digital: Haven't bought any WD recently and don't own one over 1tb, but I've never had one fail at all.
Maxtor: Folded into Seagate I believe? Only bought 2 x 40gb. Both failed in 2 years.
Seagate. Had a 10gb drive fail years ago and didn't buy another til after the Thai floods. Bought 3x 3tb for different machines in the last 3 years. All 3 failed in the third year. One failed about 2 weeks out of the 2 year warranty. Since I bought it just after the floods it cost me about £150 so I thought it was worth trying Seagate to see if they would offer any small gesture of goodwill. They quite clearly stated that they wouldn't have given me anything even if it was only 1 day out of warranty. So I'll never buy another Seagate again.

TLDR
I'll stick to Western Digital. (And possibly Toshiba)
I'll never buy another Seagate in any way shape or form.
Just bought 2x 3tb Toshiba to give them a try. Pretty fast. 196mb read and write.
Score
0
September 7, 2014 1:18:12 PM

The Seagate drives are garbage right out of the box. I bought a 2 TB seagate USB disk as well. Out of the box the drive would continue to spin even when the computer was in sleep mode. Seagate tech support wasted several days of my time only to to tell me I can send it back to them (and get another crappy drive with the same problem as replacement).
Eventually after about 13 months my wonderful Seagate 2 terrabyte drive failed as it suddenly slowed down and there was file damage throughout the disk. 2 terrabytes of my personal data gone forever.

Of course, it was warrantied for only a year as only Seagate knows exactly how crappy its hard disks are, and they expect you to go out and buy a new drive from them every year so you can lose all your data a year later and repeat the process...reminds me of value-added retailer, Apple.
Score
0
!