Sloper

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004

I've become a little tired of other players shouting "Lamer"!, and
"Camper"! in some ONS games. Sure, its irritating when you're on the
receiving end, but after all, its war isn't it??

I'm talking of things like mining the enemy base, or the towers in
Torlan and Dria, camping (I call it defending) with the Avril defending
an isolated node in Dria or Dawn, or hovering the Manta over the
teleports (Now I hate that tactic myself... that *is* lame! ;))

What do you think?

sloper wrote:
> I've become a little tired of other players shouting "Lamer"!, and
> "Camper"! in some ONS games. Sure, its irritating when you're on the
> receiving end, but after all, its war isn't it??
>
> I'm talking of things like mining the enemy base, or the towers in
> Torlan and Dria, camping (I call it defending) with the Avril defending
> an isolated node in Dria or Dawn, or hovering the Manta over the
> teleports (Now I hate that tactic myself... that *is* lame! ;))
>
> What do you think?

"Camping" is only really meaningful in free-for-alls, since it's
annoying when someone is hogging a slot on the server instead of coming
out to fight. Even then, there are gray areas: a map may be
intentionally designed to have sniper nests, for instance. You may
notice in Last Man Standing that the computer will actually denounce
players for camping, since that's one gametype in which camping is
unequivocally out of line.

In team games, there's no such thing as camping. A good team has
attackers and defenders, and defense means holding on to valuable
resources and key locations.

It's completely absurd to claim someone is "camping" in Onslaught.
Defending nodes against enemy capture is two thirds of the game, I'd
say, and defending means finding a good tactical position and holding it.

"sloper" <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've become a little tired of other players shouting "Lamer"!, and
> "Camper"! in some ONS games. Sure, its irritating when you're on the
> receiving end, but after all, its war isn't it??
>
> I'm talking of things like mining the enemy base, or the towers in
> Torlan and Dria, camping (I call it defending) with the Avril defending
> an isolated node in Dria or Dawn, or hovering the Manta over the
> teleports (Now I hate that tactic myself... that *is* lame! ;))
>
> What do you think?

I think anybody who calls me a camper in a teamgame forfeits his right to be
taken seriously.

--
Cycho{HHR}
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

Sloper

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004

Cy Edmunds wrote:

> I think anybody who calls me a camper in a teamgame forfeits his right to be
> taken seriously.

Lol. Good answer!
I'll remember that one.

Sloper

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004

Brian G. Vaughan wrote:

> It's completely absurd to claim someone is "camping" in Onslaught.
> Defending nodes against enemy capture is two thirds of the game, I'd
> say, and defending means finding a good tactical position and holding it.

Yep, I completely agree. I wanted to solicit the opinions of experienced
players. Thanks.

Paul

Splendid

I get irritated about people complaining about avril noobs...what do they
want me to do let them kill me? All's fair, in my opinion.

"sloper" <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've become a little tired of other players shouting "Lamer"!, and
> "Camper"! in some ONS games. Sure, its irritating when you're on the
> receiving end, but after all, its war isn't it??
>
> I'm talking of things like mining the enemy base, or the towers in
> Torlan and Dria, camping (I call it defending) with the Avril defending
> an isolated node in Dria or Dawn, or hovering the Manta over the
> teleports (Now I hate that tactic myself... that *is* lame! ;))
>
> What do you think?

I would ignore it. They just get upset when they get killed by snipers. Yes,
it's annoying many times, but than some maps provide the sniper weapon, some
don't. So when it's there, that's what is intended use for, long range
accurate shooting.
Very effective in the right hand, even against vehicles, if they low on
shield.

Julius

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:50:37 +0100, sloper <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>I've become a little tired of other players shouting "Lamer"!, and
>"Camper"! in some ONS games. Sure, its irritating when you're on the
>receiving end, but after all, its war isn't it??
>
>I'm talking of things like mining the enemy base, or the towers in
>Torlan and Dria, camping (I call it defending) with the Avril defending
>an isolated node in Dria or Dawn, or hovering the Manta over the
>teleports (Now I hate that tactic myself... that *is* lame! ;))
>
>What do you think?

There are lame tactics on ONS, but camping per se isn't one of them.
But, make sure you don't broaden the definition of camping to include
lame spawn killing. Parking a tank at the opposing team's last node
and blowing people away as they spawn is *not* camping or defending.
One can advance the argument that this is a "tactic", but if so then
it's the lamest tactic available to someone in a tank. Blow up the
node, but don't just sit there and rape defenseless spawners while
leaving the node unscathed.

I can *almost* see this as a valid tactic at the enemy base at the end
of a game, but even then it seems lame to me. In that case, the tank
would be a better asset to defend the primary node instead of
indiscriminately blowing people up at the base.

> I can *almost* see this as a valid tactic at the enemy base at the end
> of a game, but even then it seems lame to me. In that case, the tank
> would be a better asset to defend the primary node instead of
> indiscriminately blowing people up at the base.

I think it is a better tactic to shoot spawning enemies at the enemy
base with a tank than shooting their core. Those constantly dying
enemies are *not* running for their primary node and they are *not*
killing your team members who are destroying the core at the same time
and they are *not* shooting at you with full arsenal.

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:35:37 +0300, Peelo <Peelo@somewhere.fi> wrote:

>> I can *almost* see this as a valid tactic at the enemy base at the end
>> of a game, but even then it seems lame to me. In that case, the tank
>> would be a better asset to defend the primary node instead of
>> indiscriminately blowing people up at the base.
>
>I think it is a better tactic to shoot spawning enemies at the enemy
>base with a tank than shooting their core. Those constantly dying
>enemies are *not* running for their primary node and they are *not*
>killing your team members who are destroying the core at the same time
>and they are *not* shooting at you with full arsenal.

The only way to hit the core with a tank is to drive directly into the
base, which is stupid. My point is that it's a better tactic to use
the tank to defend the primary node. That way, you're actually
preventing people from reclaiming the node, rather than just racking
up lamer points by indiscriminate spawn killing.

There's only one position (using Torlan as an example) the tank can
occupy and spawn kill, and that's to the right of the base. From that
position, the tank won't last long at all, but you will rack up a few
spawn kills. On the other hand, positioning the tank near the primary
node will allow you to protect the node without exposing the tank at
all, except for air attacks.

I've heard the argument that indiscriminate spawn killing is a
"tactic" because it prevents troops from deploying, but I've yet to
see a scenario where the tank couldn't be deployed elsewhere in a much
more effective fashion. The only thing this "tactic" is good for is
to rack up points, which does very little to help the team win.

"Peelo" <Peelo@somewhere.fi> wrote in message
> > I can *almost* see this as a valid tactic at the enemy base at the end
> > of a game, but even then it seems lame to me. In that case, the tank
> > would be a better asset to defend the primary node instead of
> > indiscriminately blowing people up at the base.
>
> I think it is a better tactic to shoot spawning enemies at the enemy
> base with a tank than shooting their core. Those constantly dying
> enemies are *not* running for their primary node and they are *not*
> killing your team members who are destroying the core at the same time
> and they are *not* shooting at you with full arsenal.

Geneva convention forbids killing spawning enemies, since WW1. (-:

Julius

Folk wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:35:37 +0300, Peelo <Peelo@somewhere.fi> wrote:
> The only way to hit the core with a tank is to drive directly into the
> base, which is stupid. My point is that it's a better tactic to use
> the tank to defend the primary node. That way, you're actually
> preventing people from reclaiming the node, rather than just racking
> up lamer points by indiscriminate spawn killing.
>
> There's only one position (using Torlan as an example) the tank can
> occupy and spawn kill, and that's to the right of the base. From that
> position, the tank won't last long at all, but you will rack up a few
> spawn kills. On the other hand, positioning the tank near the primary
> node will allow you to protect the node without exposing the tank at
> all, except for air attacks.
>
> I've heard the argument that indiscriminate spawn killing is a
> "tactic" because it prevents troops from deploying, but I've yet to
> see a scenario where the tank couldn't be deployed elsewhere in a much
> more effective fashion. The only thing this "tactic" is good for is
> to rack up points, which does very little to help the team win.

Well, the tank spawn killing tactic cant be efficiently done in Torlan,
you are right about that. But there are maps like Xfire where it is very
worthy.

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 00:39:34 GMT, "Szaki" <szaki10@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Peelo" <Peelo@somewhere.fi> wrote in message
>> > I can *almost* see this as a valid tactic at the enemy base at the end
>> > of a game, but even then it seems lame to me. In that case, the tank
>> > would be a better asset to defend the primary node instead of
>> > indiscriminately blowing people up at the base.
>>
>> I think it is a better tactic to shoot spawning enemies at the enemy
>> base with a tank than shooting their core. Those constantly dying
>> enemies are *not* running for their primary node and they are *not*
>> killing your team members who are destroying the core at the same time
>> and they are *not* shooting at you with full arsenal.
>
>Geneva convention forbids killing spawning enemies, since WW1. (-:
>
>Julius

It seems no one is following the Geneva convention these days. :-(

> >> killing your team members who are destroying the core at the same time
> >> and they are *not* shooting at you with full arsenal.
> >
> >Geneva convention forbids killing spawning enemies, since WW1. (-:
> >
> >Julius
> >

> It seems no one is following the Geneva convention these days. :-(

Not if you're classified as a terrorist now days!
Good luck at Guantanamo Bay or in any Iraqi prison!
Even Eisenhower after WW2, classified German solders as DEF, (Disarmed Enemy
Forces) so they were not under the Geneva conventions protection.
Good way to starve them, nature takes care of the rest.
Hehehe!

Julius