NAS fail & I need advice

radad02

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Hi guys

I have Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d 8TB for the last 15 months and in last week 2 drives faulted . I contacted customer support and they will send to me replacement under warranty .

For me I don't feel safe with this NAS and Im seriously thinking of changing it to WD Sentinel DX4000 .

For that I'm asking if any of you guys has an experience with this NAS or if you have any recommendation .

Thank you . :)

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Did you rescue the data? Did it keep the data safe? What RAID configuration were you using?

Readers please note, for a typical 4-or-less drive NAS, when you have a drive failure you should immediately shut down the NAS unless you have a spare drive already to hand to replace it. Every minute the NAS is left running is another minute the array is degraded and the data unsafe (assuming a RAID5 array which is common for 3-4 drives, or RAID1 for 2 drives).

Ok, back to you OP - though I have not experienced the StorCenter or that exact WD NAS, I can say that generally you will find WD NAS boxes are some of the better boxes on the market.

Please note it is unwise to trust a single NAS (depending on your disk arrangement) even if it purports to protect your data, because the NAS box itself becomes a potential point of failure. If the NAS unit itself fails, you must hope you can either put the drives in a matching model and pick up where you left off or can use the drives manually with a PC to extract the data (which can be very hard with RAID arrays, depending on the NAS, your hardware, and the RAID configuration).

Better to get two units and mirror them! :D Or a second, smaller, cheaper one (be it a NAS, or even a simple single external disk) to which you can designate regular backups of your most treasured data.

radad02

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Thank you for your respond

Yes data is safe becoz I'm using RAID 5 and now I'm taking back up to many external hard disks .

I need to have NAS to connect it to all the computers that I work on also to allow people working for me to share their files . Also Im using the cloud system to have remote accesses to my data .

I don't thing, changing the nas brand will be of any help. The problem are the disks inside. They are typically of the same type and date / have the same firmware. Logically they tend to fail at the same time. My only recommendation: by a second nas with different disks and backup your data with rsync. that's at least what i do.

radad02

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Iomega nas disks are seagate cheap type but DX 4000 disks are enterprise wd hard drives . Is that making any difference ?

Or should I go with synology enclosure and buy wd red hard drives :??:

Really I don't now what to choose my data is very importNt to me if I lose it I will close down and I will be out of the market .

FireWire2

Distinguished

No matter who is NAS manufacture, it will fail eventually. As many experts / gurus in this forum recommend BACKUP your DATA

As for reliable NAS you may need 2 unit and using replicate feature of NAS, so you can switch to secondary NAS if there is issue with primary NAS
Like NAS in RAID 1 :)