NAS fail & I need advice

Hi guys

I have Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d 8TB for the last 15 months and in last week 2 drives faulted . I contacted customer support and they will send to me replacement under warranty .

For me I don't feel safe with this NAS and Im seriously thinking of changing it to WD Sentinel DX4000 .

For that I'm asking if any of you guys has an experience with this NAS or if you have any recommendation .

Thank you . :)
5 answers Last reply
More about fail advice
  1. Did you rescue the data? Did it keep the data safe? What RAID configuration were you using?

    Readers please note, for a typical 4-or-less drive NAS, when you have a drive failure you should immediately shut down the NAS unless you have a spare drive already to hand to replace it. Every minute the NAS is left running is another minute the array is degraded and the data unsafe (assuming a RAID5 array which is common for 3-4 drives, or RAID1 for 2 drives).

    Ok, back to you OP - though I have not experienced the StorCenter or that exact WD NAS, I can say that generally you will find WD NAS boxes are some of the better boxes on the market.

    Please note it is unwise to trust a single NAS (depending on your disk arrangement) even if it purports to protect your data, because the NAS box itself becomes a potential point of failure. If the NAS unit itself fails, you must hope you can either put the drives in a matching model and pick up where you left off or can use the drives manually with a PC to extract the data (which can be very hard with RAID arrays, depending on the NAS, your hardware, and the RAID configuration).

    Better to get two units and mirror them! :D Or a second, smaller, cheaper one (be it a NAS, or even a simple single external disk) to which you can designate regular backups of your most treasured data.
  2. CrArC said:
    Did you rescue the data? Did it keep the data safe? What RAID configuration were you using?

    Readers please note, for a typical 4-or-less drive NAS, when you have a drive failure you should immediately shut down the NAS unless you have a spare drive already to hand to replace it. Every minute the NAS is left running is another minute the array is degraded and the data unsafe (assuming a RAID5 array which is common for 3-4 drives, or RAID1 for 2 drives).

    Ok, back to you OP - though I have not experienced the StorCenter or that exact WD NAS, I can say that generally you will find WD NAS boxes are some of the better boxes on the market.

    Please note it is unwise to trust a single NAS (depending on your disk arrangement) even if it purports to protect your data, because the NAS box itself becomes a potential point of failure. If the NAS unit itself fails, you must hope you can either put the drives in a matching model and pick up where you left off or can use the drives manually with a PC to extract the data (which can be very hard with RAID arrays, depending on the NAS, your hardware, and the RAID configuration).

    Better to get two units and mirror them! :D Or a second, smaller, cheaper one (be it a NAS, or even a simple single external disk) to which you can designate regular backups of your most treasured data.



    Thank you for your respond

    Yes data is safe becoz I'm using RAID 5 and now I'm taking back up to many external hard disks .

    I need to have NAS to connect it to all the computers that I work on also to allow people working for me to share their files . Also Im using the cloud system to have remote accesses to my data .
  3. I don't thing, changing the nas brand will be of any help. The problem are the disks inside. They are typically of the same type and date / have the same firmware. Logically they tend to fail at the same time. My only recommendation: by a second nas with different disks and backup your data with rsync. that's at least what i do.
  4. noidea_77 said:
    I don't thing, changing the nas brand will be of any help. The problem are the disks inside. They are typically of the same type and date / have the same firmware. Logically they tend to fail at the same time. My only recommendation: by a second nas with different disks and backup your data with rsync. that's at least what i do.



    Iomega nas disks are seagate cheap type but DX 4000 disks are enterprise wd hard drives . Is that making any difference ?

    Or should I go with synology enclosure and buy wd red hard drives :??:

    Really I don't now what to choose my data is very importNt to me if I lose it I will close down and I will be out of the market .
  5. radad02 said:
    Hi guys

    I have Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d 8TB for the last 15 months and in last week 2 drives faulted . I contacted customer support and they will send to me replacement under warranty .

    For me I don't feel safe with this NAS and Im seriously thinking of changing it to WD Sentinel DX4000 .

    For that I'm asking if any of you guys has an experience with this NAS or if you have any recommendation .

    Thank you . :)


    No matter who is NAS manufacture, it will fail eventually. As many experts / gurus in this forum recommend BACKUP your DATA

    As for reliable NAS you may need 2 unit and using replicate feature of NAS, so you can switch to secondary NAS if there is issue with primary NAS
    Like NAS in RAID 1 :-)
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Iomega Western Digital Storage