Sign in with
Your question

Intel 40 gig ssd hard drive not found on New Build

Last response: in Systems
November 10, 2010 8:37:50 PM

I believe that the BIOS 'sees' the ssd but when loading Windows 7 OS, I get to a dialog box that says "No drives were found."

My new build is for use as a HTPC:

MOBO: Gigabyte, GA-H55M-USB3, REV 2.0
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

CPU: Intel i3-540

Hard Drive: Intel X-25V 40g ssd; plugged into SATA2_0 port on mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have an optical drive (plugged into gSATA2_5) but no other storage devices and no graphics card.

BIOS setup proceeded without problem; under "Advanced BIOS Features" and the screen "Hard Disk Boot Priority", I see the following:

1. SCSI-0 : P0-INTEL SSDSA2M0402G
2. Bootable Add-in Cards

After setting BIOS and as computer boots, I see a quick screen that says, in part:

Controller Bus#00, Devices#1F, Function#02: 06Ports, 02 Devices
Port-00: Hard Disk, INTEL SSDSA2M040G2GC
Port-01: CDROM, SAMSUNG DVDWBD SH-B083L

I assume this means that the BIOS 'sees' the ssd hard drive.

However, when loading Windows 7, I eventually get to a dialog box that says, "No drives were found." I click on various buttons (browse, rescan) but it cannot find any drives.

Yesterday, I removed the ssd hard drive, and I was able to format it on another machine. I returned the ssd to the new build but there was no change.

I sent a note to Gigabyte but their response was not on point - they simply said that the OS disc has all the drivers needed for this hard drive.

Thank you, I appreciate any suggestions.
November 10, 2010 8:57:19 PM

When you browse for other drivers, you say that it doesn't see any drives. Can you see the DVD drive? If so, are you checking the Win 7 disc for drivers?

Have you set the SATA ports to AHCI?

I have the same mobo & CPU and encountered a similar issue, but it's been a month or two since I built it, I can't remember how I got around it. I'll try to take some time tonight to poke around, but no guarantees.
m
l
November 11, 2010 2:11:25 AM

coldsleep said:
When you browse for other drivers, you say that it doesn't see any drives. Can you see the DVD drive? If so, are you checking the Win 7 disc for drivers?

Have you set the SATA ports to AHCI?

I have the same mobo & CPU and encountered a similar issue, but it's been a month or two since I built it, I can't remember how I got around it. I'll try to take some time tonight to poke around, but no guarantees.

Coldsleep,

I can see the DVD when I browse for other drives. However, I have not checked the Win 7 disc for drivers - I'll try that when I can next run the computer, which won't be until tomorrow evening.

I have set the SATA to AHCI and I have set it to IDE but the results do not change.

Thanks for the quick response.
m
l
Related resources
November 11, 2010 11:40:03 PM

I browsed to the Win 7 disc for drivers and it didn't find any; if the drivers are buried in a subfolder, it wasn't obvious where they are.

I went through the BIOS again and confirmed SATA is set to AHCI, tried to load Win 7 and it still doesn't find any drives - no change.

I'm lost. Gigabyte wants me to get a program from Intel to write zeros to the ssd but they didn't explain why. If it is to see if the ssd works, I know it does as I formatted it using another computer. But the formatting has had no change on the inability to load the OS on the new build.

There must be something stupid I've done in the BIOS setup but I don't see it.

Any suggestions?
m
l
December 2, 2010 7:29:48 PM

Problem was with the Intel ssd. I substituted a conventional hdd and the Win 7 install found it without problem. Lacking any other solution, I convinced Microcenter to allow me to exchange the Intell ssd for an OCZ. I installed it, Win 7 found it immediately, and the home brew works just fine.
m
l
September 19, 2011 12:03:04 AM

luk49ov said:
Problem was with the Intel ssd. I substituted a conventional hdd and the Win 7 install found it without problem. Lacking any other solution, I convinced Microcenter to allow me to exchange the Intell ssd for an OCZ. I installed it, Win 7 found it immediately, and the home brew works just fine.

had the same thing to happen , unplugged all hhd , left tthe ssd and found and installed just fine. just plug hdd back after done
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:09:32 PM

This is an intermittent problem for me with an OCZ Vertex3 in a Dell Lat. 6400. It happened more and more often until the system would not boot. OCZ replaced the SSD and now it has started again. SSD is clearly not ready for critical production use. So I put it in my gaming computer where it won't ruin my day the next time it can't be detected.
m
l
!