Solved

Z68XP-UD3 2x SSD & 1 SATA HDD?

Community,

I am running a rig with a Z68XP-UD3 as my mobo. I currently have a Crucial M4 128Gb SATA III SSD and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA III HDD connected. I just bought another Crucial M4. The question is: do I have a spare SATA III 6Gbs port? I see in the manual 2 GSATA III ports...

What should do here?

Thanks.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about z68xp sata
  1. Best answer
    Connect your Seagate to one of the Intel SATA II 3Gb/s ports.
    A single HDD cannot spin fast enough to saturate a SATA II port so you will see no loss in performance.
  2. Also, your 2 SSDs should not be connected to the Marvell GSATA ports.
    They should be connected in AHCI mode to ports SATA3_0 & SATA3_1 for maximum performance.
  3. Thanks for the advice. That's what I was thinking... Besides, the mech HDD is just a data drive anyway.
  4. Best answer selected by okcookienc.
  5. Hmm...I disagree with the Marvell 9172 vs Intel SATA3, use the Intel SATA3 for the SSD e.g. OCZ Vertex 3.

In contrast the Marvel 9182 is closer to a toss-up.
  6. jaquith said:
    Hmm...I disagree with the Marvell 9172 vs Intel SATA3, use the Intel SATA3 for the SSD e.g. OCZ Vertex 3.

In contrast the Marvel 9182 is closer to a toss-up.

Ok, so which SATA ports are you suggesting I plug my SSDs (I have 2) into? The regular SATA3 or the GSATA3 ports?
  7. Ports SATA3_0 & SATA3_1 are the Intel SATA3 (6Gb/s) ports.

The Intel controller offers greater performance than the Marvell controller.
  8. Dereck47 said:
    Ports SATA3_0 & SATA3_1 are the Intel SATA3 (6Gb/s) ports.

The Intel controller offers greater performance than the Marvell controller.

That's what I'm thinking too. Thanks for all your help.

So, what's the point in buying a SATA III 6Gbs mechanic HDD if it can't spin fast enough for the ports in the first place? My Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 is SATA III 6Gbs... now I'm questioning why I got it instead of a 3Gbs drive.
  9. Because, on HDD's, people assume 'Interface = Speed of the Drive' - common misconception.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte SATA Crucial Hard Drives SSD Motherboards