Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Anyone Done 24GB RAM on a P6X58D Premium?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 8, 2011 3:09:01 AM

This question has never really been cleanly answered anywhere on the Internet! Most discussions devolve into a p*ssing contest over why anyone would want 24GB of memory.

However, with 6 x 4gig sticks going for well less than $200.00 these days, it's time to ask the question again:

Does anyone have personal or first-hand knowledge of a non-overclocked P6X58D Premium motherboard running in a stable fashion for over a year using 24GB of RAM....especially with a Gulftown CPU? If so, what brand and model of memory was used? Does the entire 24GB need to be kitted (6 x 4GB), or can one use two kits of 3 x 4GB?

Anyone who says, "Why do you need all that RAM?" will be shot!
October 8, 2011 9:58:10 AM

i think nobody has 24gb ram, rare case can be.
October 9, 2011 3:50:19 PM

yas,

Yep, I'm guessin' that nobody has ever been able to pull off 24GB of RAM on a P6X58D Premium mobo and achieved long-term, non-OC'd stability. Maybe it can't be done!

And, I don't want to be the first to try.......

Thanks!
Related resources
October 24, 2011 2:17:59 AM

I've got the above-listed memory plugged into the mobo and she POSTs just fine. I'll get into the BIOS to see how much RAM is showing up there.
November 7, 2011 2:34:25 AM

Good news!

I carefully installed all six DIMMs as per the mobo instructions and I've now got 24GB showing up in the BIOS. No heroics were needed, all the memory just showed up!

I'll report back when I get the OS loaded (Debian stable).

Thanks for all of your help, everyone!
November 8, 2011 9:08:43 AM

I just ordered 24 GB of RAM, which I should get this Friday.

I reviewed the approved vendor list for the board and compared it to what Intel told me about the i7 processor restricted to DDR3 800/1066. I ended up getting Kingston ValueRAM (Definately not my first choice, but also not wanting to void the warranty on my RMA'd CPU, which I should be getting back in about 1-2 weeks). This was one of 2 options I had in the 1066 range that would allow me to get all 24 GB of RAM.

What kind of RAM did you get?
November 8, 2011 1:49:31 PM

c0p0ut said:
I just ordered 24 GB of RAM, which I should get this Friday.

I reviewed the approved vendor list for the board and compared it to what Intel told me about the i7 processor restricted to DDR3 800/1066. I ended up getting Kingston ValueRAM (Definately not my first choice, but also not wanting to void the warranty on my RMA'd CPU, which I should be getting back in about 1-2 weeks). This was one of 2 options I had in the 1066 range that would allow me to get all 24 GB of RAM.

What kind of RAM did you get?

I got G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL.

However, the Kingston ValueRAM was my next choice, and I felt it would have as good a chance of working for me as did the G.Skill RAM I ended up installing.

The tie-breaker for me was the fact that the G.Skill RAM came with heat spreaders......although I've read that heat should not be a problem at 1600 and below (where I plan on staying).

Good luck, let us know how it works out for you!
November 11, 2011 4:47:15 PM

UPDATE:

Things appear to be working out so far.....

My BIOS shows the "Target DRAM Frequency" to be 1333 MHz, which is fine for me. Timings are listed as 9-9-9-24, which is, again, fine for me.

FYI, I've got the "Ai Overclock Tuner" set to "Auto" and the "DRAM Frequency" also set to "Auto", and I've loaded the 1501 BIOS using the "E-Z Flash 2" tool.

So far, so good (KOW). I'll update when I get the OS loaded (Debian stable).
November 16, 2011 7:06:04 PM

Hi Digger -

I have a Core i7 970 w/ 12GB of RAM (oc'd to 4.2ghz) and was wondering the same thing regarding using 24GB of RAM. How's the overclocking going?

Best solution

November 17, 2011 7:20:50 AM

I purchased two sets of the Kingston ValueRAM 12GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module - KVR1066D3N7K3/12G:

]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134929&Tpk=KVR1066D3N7K3%2f12G]

The board recognized all 24GB and the target speed of 1066. I think the timings on these are 7-7-7-20. I have not had any problems yet with it.

I have not overclocked and probably will not, so I don't have any additinal info on that.
November 18, 2011 3:03:19 PM

Praz and c0,

I loaded Debian Squeeze, ran top, and verified that all 24GB were being seen by the OS.

I've not yet tried overclocking and probably will not do so in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for everyone's input!
November 18, 2011 3:04:02 PM

Best answer selected by Digger1.
March 20, 2012 4:29:28 PM

Digger, i went by your suggestion here and bought the same ram. I have the same mobo.

the memory installed with no issues, but when i ran cpu-z i was suprised to see that it is running at 800 mhz.

i know that i can increase the speed in the bios, but i was wondering :

1) why would it set it at 800 in the first place?
2) is there any danger in increasing it?
3) what should i set it at to be safe? i have no interest in overclocking, but was thinking of setting it to its allowed 1600 mhz

ANy help you can give would be appreciated.

thanks!
September 20, 2012 4:22:39 PM

Hi, i have an p6x58d premium, i want to buy 3x8gb ram, Corsair 8GB XMS3 (1x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz 240-Pin 8. Do you think it will work?
September 5, 2013 11:52:24 AM

guialmachado said:
Hi, i have an p6x58d premium, i want to buy 3x8gb ram, Corsair 8GB XMS3 (1x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz 240-Pin 8. Do you think it will work?

It's been nearly a year since you posted this, did you ever accomplish stability? I have installed 3x8GB into my system, the same as you have listed here. The thing is however, that I had 6x2GB installed before and my system would simply lock up while using it. I was told that it was an issue of having all 6 slots populated on the ASUS P6X58D premium MB. I was told by Corsair rep that the 3x8GB would solve the problem. It did not solve the problem of locking up. I am running an i7 960 CPU and my system does recognize the total 24GB I now have installed, but it still locks up. I called Corsair back and this time spoke with a different rep who told me that the max I can go is 4GB sticks in 3 slots. He told me the controller would not work with anything larger, but as stated my system does see all 3 of the 8GB sticks???? I am beginning to think that the freeze is coming from something in Windows 7 OS. I have just installed the latest BIOS from ASUS (bought the chip and replaced the old one). but this did nothing to fix the freezing system. The last time it acted up I got the Blue Screen with the error of telling me that I should disable the BIOS Memory cache and shadowing. When checking this out on the internet, I find people saying that this issues is a corruption in the OS, and that the OS should be re-loaded???? Please let me know if you have anything else on this issue.
February 21, 2014 10:38:53 AM

Personal first-hand knowledge of non-overclocked P6X58D Premium motherboard running 24GB with Intel i7 930 CPU, 5TB storage, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 video card: me. Running stable for 3+ years. I'm a photographer and work with huge image files regularly. Very pleased.

!