laptop repair/upgrade manual/textbook

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 23, 2005 5:34:12 PM

I have the basic knowledge and I have worked on laptops of various mfg's.

After extensive internet/library searching I have not found a current
quality manual regarding repairing/upgrading laptops.

I have found ebay CD'R's available that appear to be a compilation of
downloadable manuals re mfg instructions.

Is there a quality generic manual available(current ie 2004) for laptop
repair and upgrade? The only one of note I have found has been referred to
as a take off of
a desktop manual, the reviews are not very promising.

someone2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 24, 2005 1:22:23 AM

someone wrote:

> After extensive internet/library searching I have not found a current
> quality manual regarding repairing/upgrading laptops.

There is so little commonality among laptops (i.e. only processors, memory,
HDs, optical drives, displays) and so very little that can be "repaired",
you're not going to find a one-size-fits-all repair manual for laptops.

Best you can do is get the repair manuals for specific models of laptops
from the manufacturers when available, which is relatively rare even from
the majors.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 24, 2005 8:31:42 PM

Is the manual you refer to " Upgrading and Repairing Laptops by Scott
Mueller,Que Publishing" ? Haven't seen it myself, but I do have the
Desktop version and it appears OK, although I do need to update it.
If you need a manual for repair to component level however, its
probably not what you want.

A good source of laptop info is
http://tuxmobil.org/disassembly_laptop.html , mainly other peoples
experiences . I wanted to upgrade the HD and CD and although my
model isn't listed I got enough pointers to proceed. A few weeks
later the cooling fan started playing up and again this site helped
me out, even pointing me to a supplier.

Cheers

Steve
January 28, 2005 5:02:47 AM

It's not very good. About 95% of it is an exact duplicate of the desktop
version and the rest is very general - maybe of some value for a complete
novice. Although his desktop book is a classic and quite good, this one is
a rip-off promoted by deceptive advertising. If it were sold as a $10.00
supplement to the other text it might be a fair deal. At about $50.00 with
95% lifted straight from the other book, it's a rip-off.
--

"draconia" <steve.watson@mcb-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Is the manual you refer to " Upgrading and Repairing Laptops by Scott
> Mueller,Que Publishing" ? Haven't seen it myself, but I do have the
> Desktop version and it appears OK, although I do need to update it.
> If you need a manual for repair to component level however, its
> probably not what you want.
>
> A good source of laptop info is
> http://tuxmobil.org/disassembly_laptop.html , mainly other peoples
> experiences . I wanted to upgrade the HD and CD and although my
> model isn't listed I got enough pointers to proceed. A few weeks
> later the cooling fan started playing up and again this site helped
> me out, even pointing me to a supplier.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve

February 15, 2005 7:20:09 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a service manual for A HP Pavilion ZE1210
laptop?

I've got one that I can't do anything with.... shuts down after a few
minutes. Must be a hardware problem? Battery and charging system test
fine. May be temperature or something else?????

Thanks...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 16, 2005 10:15:52 AM

HP? I'd check to see if the Fans jammed full of rabbits first. Run
Mobmeter os similar to see the temp prior to shutdown.. Sounds like
heat though... (I hates Wabbits)..
!