How to connect laptop and desktop

G

Simplest is a crossover ethernet cable between the computers' network sockets. Note down the Computer Names accurately (see Control Panel, System)

Turn off firewalls, enable file sharing on relevant folders, run Windows Networking Wizard.

If you already have a router you can run plain ethernet cables between the computers and the router.

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
the cross over cable will work but the Ethernet cables to the router will work but if you don't have a share you cant get to it..

You will see the computers but you might not be able to access files. Windows is weird when it comes to sharing if you don't have a password on you computer to log into you cant do C$..

What you want to do is make a share folder so that everyone or user you know in your network can access them on each computer. Then when you go to look for the PC it should come up as the share.

Keep in mind this also work wireless i have 4 machines that are wireless and 2 plug into the router and i can see everyone and access there share folder. As well windows firewall is on and i did not run the wizard. Just went to my network places and saw the pc's or if you know the name you can type //mylaptop

Also if your router has usb on it you can set up an external HDD and make that the share so anyone that connect to your network can access that HDD (most of the new routers come with the usb connection mostly used for FTP and file sharing)

tacoma08

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Simplest is a crossover ethernet cable between the computers' network sockets. Note down the Computer Names accurately (see Control Panel, System)

Turn off firewalls, enable file sharing on relevant folders, run Windows Networking Wizard.

If you already have a router you can run plain ethernet cables between the computers and the router.

Hello

I have a laptop that i believe has either a dead onboard gpu or the motherboard itself. The screen is blank and so is any external monitor i plug into it. Because of that i cant share any folders or go to control panel and set up any kind of network between my laptop and desktop. Is there anyway to connect the two of them without having to do anything on the laptop itself? Or to connect the harddrive to my desktop? I would really appreciate any help on this. Thanks in advance!

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Can you boot up with a boot disk? Or you can take out the hdd and use bridge to see the files on your other machine. Or you can just turn the laptop on leave plugged into router or Xcable and just patch out by typing \\computername\C$ (computer name is what ever laptop is called)

stuckless

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

Without seeing the desktop on the laptop you're kinda SOL.

Go out and get yourself a USB mutliadapter. Something like this works like a charm

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002&cm_re=12-232-_-12-232-002-_-Product

Comes with a power supply and everything. Then pop the hard drive out of the laptop (relativley simple process but give yourself sometime if its your first go at it, as you will have to take the backing off of your laptop). Once you have the hard drive out, use the multidrive adapter to connect the laptop drive to the computer and start moving your data off.

Hope this helps.

tacoma08

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Thank you all for your help! I have just bought the ide/sata to usb adapter from newegg that was mentioned here. I just wasn't sure if such an adapter existed or what it was called so i never looked for it :p Once again thanks for all your input, appreciate it :)

tacoma08

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Well it turns out the multi adapter did not work :( I did not look at the HDD before i ordered the adapter, and it turns out the sata connectors are not normal plug in
(not sure if I'm explaining that right) but instead they slide down into sata pins on the motherboard. I looked on Newegg and none of their adapters have the type of connector i require :( If anybody happens to know what type of adapter I need and where to find it could you let me know? I tried googling and did not find anything :( The hard drive model is Toshiba HDD2D90 if that helps. Thanks everyone in advance!

tacoma08

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Yes for data transfer. Sorry If I'm being unclear, I've never messed with notebooks. The HDD is a sata, and the multiadapter has the connector you suggested , but the sata port on the hdd is not a normal sata connector. It doesnt "plug" into the adapter because it seems to have been designed to "slide" into the motherboard connector. The mobo has metal fins that slide into the sata connector on the HDD. Is there any way i can upload a pic on here that way I'm not confusing you? I'm starting to think my only option is to find someone with the same notebook and hook my hdd into it.

tacoma08

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
OMFG!! You sir, are an F-ing GENIOUS!!! And i feel really really stupid right now :p It just slid off right now. You have no idea how much you just helped me! Thank you so much! :D Let me know how i can credit you for the help!