Sign in with
Your question

Couple questions about Mobos

Last response: in Motherboards
October 8, 2011 5:40:24 AM

Alright so I have just recently learned how to build PC's and choose out all the parts so that they work together. Now I'm just trying to go around and get a couple questions cleared up to sharpen my skills up a little more. The board I am looking at for a refrence is the Intel DZ68BC (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/des...)

1) When a Mobo says Internal/External/Header, what does it mean?

Ex:
> Four SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports (2 external/2 header)

> Fourteen USB 2.0 ports (6 external (2 Hi-Current/Fast Charging) / 8 internal)

> Four Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s ports , one eSATA 6.0 Gb/s

> Four Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s ports

> Two IEEE 1394a ports/headers (1 external/1 header)

> Consumer Infrared receiver and emitter

2) What is the purpose of the Chipset?

3) Sound Cards, cant I just buy a stero system and be set?

4) I have a lot of external HDDs, My GoFlex HDDs has the capability of using eSATA how do I know if a MoBo has this componet? (My laptop has an eSATA port, and I find it to be much faster than USB 3.0)

More about : couple questions mobos

a c 156 V Motherboard
October 8, 2011 6:25:13 AM

1. In your first example, the "2 external" means the the two USB ports have USB connectors built onto the motherboard with access to outside the case. "Headers", in this case, mean that the USB ports (or Firewire) ports are wired to a group of 9 or 10 pins, but no connectors. They are designed to be used with USB connectors built into cases or drive bay expansion modules.

It gets a little confusing. "external and headers" means the same as "internal and external". "External" in the second case means they aer tied to motherboard headers.

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset

3. Motherboard sound chips are getting pretty good. In most cases, you do not need a separate video card. Most computer speakers are amplified, so you can directly plug them into the sound jacks on the motherboard (or separate sound card). @With the right cables, you can also plug the outputs of the sound card directly into a stereo or multichannel amplifier.

4. Motherboard specs will tell you if you have any eSATA connectors available.
October 8, 2011 7:15:20 AM

Ah okay thank you for the help.
!