Pci-e x16 pci-e 1.0 or 1.1

is there a difference between pci-e x16 and pci-e 1.0 or 1.1 ... or are they all the same thing?
7 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. The 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and 2.1 denote the changes in specification, they are all x16.
  2. There is no real difference you can still use a 2.0 card for example in a 1.0a slot its all about transfer speed like 1.0a is 256 mb/s opposed to 2.0 at 500mb/s per lane so thats the only difference but still all are x16 so don't stress,lol
  3. you can have 8x, 4x and 1x slots...not just 16x.
  4. Is their a major difference in speed between pcie1.1 and 2? I've heard that 1.1 is half the speed but i ask this because my motherboard only has a pcie 1.1 @4 and im looking at buying a gts450 which obviously is recommended to be used on a pcie2 @16.
  5. 1.x is half the speed of 2.x. Using even a gtx480 on a 1.x slot will not likely saturate the bandwidth of the slot, so a gts450 will be fine. Only thing to worry about is compatability with a 2.1 gfx card and a 1.x slot, sometimes there are problems. Try to get a 2.0 gfx card.
  6. iam2thecrowe said:
    1.x is half the speed of 2.x. Using even a gtx480 on a 1.x slot will not likely saturate the bandwidth of the slot, so a gts450 will be fine. Only thing to worry about is compatability with a 2.1 gfx card and a 1.x slot, sometimes there are problems. Try to get a 2.0 gfx card.
    Even if its on a pcie 1 x4 slot?
  7. AntiFritz said:
    Even if its on a pcie 1 x4 slot?

That will affect the sped of the card. But it depends. I can not say how much because i forgot.. he he..but 8x and 16x is about the same, 4x a little lower.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics