Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Swapped Hard drives and no signal on TV?

Last response: in Storage
Share
February 21, 2013 4:14:38 PM

I just swapped my old 500GB stock hard drive with a new 1TB hard drive. Once I hookup up the HDMI cables and attempted to boot so i could install an OS on the new drive. I found my TV screen remaining blank with a "No Signal" message.

All of my cables appear to be connected properly on the inside.

I've tried:

-Removing 1 of 2 ram sticks
-Removing graphics card and using Motherboard VGA

I can't figure this out. Help!
February 21, 2013 4:31:33 PM

My specs are

Processor: Phenom ii x4 965 BE
GPU: Radeon 7770
Corsair 650W
8gb Ram
BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s HDMI motherboard

New Hard Drive: WD Black Desktop Hardrive 1TB
a b G Storage
February 21, 2013 5:10:04 PM

Check the BIOS video settings... it's probably reverted to default video settings on VGA.

OK, missed where you connected to VGA.. the problem is probably still in the BIOS.. check all settings related to video and also check/change the Plug and PLay OS setting so the BIOS controlls video while no OS is installed.

Related resources
February 21, 2013 5:18:29 PM

Chicano said:
Check the BIOS video settings... it's probably reverted to default video settings on VGA.

OK, missed where you connected to VGA.. the problem is probably still in the BIOS.. check all settings related to video and also check/change the Plug and PLay OS setting so the BIOS controlls video while no OS is installed.



I cannot connect to BIOS settings. My Monitor displays "No Signal" upon the turning on/booting of my computer.
a b G Storage
February 21, 2013 6:21:38 PM

Thelordsninja said:
I cannot connect to BIOS settings. My Monitor displays "No Signal" upon the turning on/booting of my computer.

OK, guess I misread everything. Try resetting the BIOS; remove the battery and leave it out for some 10 minutes. Next connect the monitor cable to VGA, next remove the RAM sticks and pass a clean rag a few times along the RAM pins... start the computer and listen for any BIOS beeps.

Also if the weather is colder than usual in your area, try leaving it running for some 15 minutes and see if video comes on display when the system has warmed up... or give it a little help with a hair dryer. I'm having similar problems with two computers that never give any other problems and the only difference is the weather is colder than usual, so I either give them enough time or blow some hot air on the motherboard with a hair dryer.. and that solves the blank display under normal boot, or no boot at all with slow or normal fan speeds. One of my computers is like new, so I know nothing can be wrong with it, but it still acts up with cold weather. Maybe you're experiencing similar issues. So listen for BIOS beeps if it's making them, and for litted LEDs to know if it's just video or the motherboard not powering up.
February 21, 2013 6:36:24 PM

Chicano said:
OK, guess I misread everything. Try resetting the BIOS; remove the battery and leave it out for some 10 minutes. Next connect the monitor cable to VGA, next remove the RAM sticks and pass a clean rag a few times along the RAM pins... start the computer and listen for any BIOS beeps.

Also if the weather is colder than usual in your area, try leaving it running for some 15 minutes and see if video comes on display when the system has warmed up... or give it a little help with a hair dryer. I'm having similar problems with two computers that never give any other problems and the only difference is the weather is colder than usual, so I either give them enough time or blow some hot air on the motherboard with a hair dryer.. and that solves the blank display under normal boot, or no boot at all with slow or normal fan speeds. One of my computers is like new, so I know nothing can be wrong with it, but it still acts up with cold weather. Maybe you're experiencing similar issues. So listen for BIOS beeps if it's making them, and for litted LEDs to know if it's just video or the motherboard not powering up.



I reset the CMOS and the same problem continues. All of my computer parts(besides the CD drive and case) are less than 2 months old. Also, I live in GA so the temperature shouldn't affect anything.

I hear no BIOS beeps.
a b G Storage
February 21, 2013 8:09:19 PM

So, the motherboard is not powering up. Check all power and digital motherboard connections, check the PSU switch and voltage selector are all the way on. That the AC power cable is firmly attached, and if nothing helps, try with another PSU, cleaning the RAM pins or letting it warmup at least some 15 minutes. Sometimes it only takes time for things to warmup. BTW the weather here is similar to Atlanta GA.. it was the same 44º overnight low... a few degrees cooler at 59º right now and enough to affect both the Dell and homebuild's startup.
a b x TV
a c 749 G Storage
February 21, 2013 9:21:06 PM

disconnect the new hdd and reinstall the old one and see if she will boot up.
February 21, 2013 9:37:51 PM

Chicano said:
So, the motherboard is not powering up. Check all power and digital motherboard connections, check the PSU switch and voltage selector are all the way on. That the AC power cable is firmly attached, and if nothing helps, try with another PSU, cleaning the RAM pins or letting it warmup at least some 15 minutes. Sometimes it only takes time for things to warmup. BTW the weather here is similar to Atlanta GA.. it was the same 44º overnight low... a few degrees cooler at 59º right now and enough to affect both the Dell and homebuild's startup.



I opened up the case and powered on. All fans are working. ( CPU, Case,PSU, GPU) so the motherboard is recieving power.

I also tried letting it run for 15 minutes while connected to the monitor. There was no change.
February 21, 2013 9:48:11 PM

popatim said:
disconnect the new hdd and reinstall the old one and see if she will boot up.


I just tried this. Unfortunately, the same problem continues.

Also, neither HDMI(via GPU) or VGA works.
a b G Storage
February 21, 2013 10:41:58 PM

I've noticed some motherboard manufacturers are cheaping out and not including a speaker, assuming there will be one built into the case. Are you sure it actually has a speaker? Did your computer ever make POST beeps before? Because it's rather unusual for the lights and CPU fan to power on, but for there to be no POST beeps. The only time I've had that happen was with a CPU with bent pins.

Hmm, check to make sure the CPU power plug is firmly seated. It's the white 4-socket plug 45 degrees to the upper right of the CPU socket in this pic.
http://www.biostar.com.tw/upload/Motherboard/b20110728_...
a b x TV
a c 749 G Storage
February 22, 2013 12:38:18 AM

Make sure the power is disconnected and then make sure the cpu is still seated properly.
a b G Storage
February 22, 2013 2:50:07 AM

Now that I recall I had the same problem a while back after I removed a hard drive from my homebuilt PC... I was trying to recover data from a damaged Hard Drive and when I removed it, and powered the PC on, there was nothing.. it had no display, no BIOS beeps, plus the CPU fan was turning very slow, I left it running for some 10-15 minues and nothing, then I recalled a trick I saw in a youtube video that consisted on cleaning the RAM pins with a soft clean cloth, so I passed the cloth some 5-6 times on the RAM pins, installed them back on, and hit the switch, and problem solved.
a b G Storage
February 22, 2013 3:24:34 AM

i assume you are using an HDMI cable for the computer and tv connection?

remove the video card. plugHDMI cable into tv and other end to motherboard.

try to boot/won't............ go into tv's control panel and seek out the proper HDMI slot ( the one your computer is connected to ). make sure it's enabled or selected.

try and boot again. what happens?
February 22, 2013 3:43:47 PM

I tried switching the old MotherBoard in and the bios came up on screen.

I suppose this means my nearly brand new BIOSTAR motherboard is defective. I've decided to pick up a new motherboard and case. Thank you all for your help!
a b G Storage
February 22, 2013 4:15:42 PM

and when you put the new board in and discover that that wasn't the problem, get back to us.......... use this same thread.
!