Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I cant Choose between:
Crucial M4 128GB
OCZ Agility 4 128GB
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
Intel 330 Series 120GB

--------------------

The Crucial comes with the Data Transfer Kit so that is why i am leaning to towards that... Are there any other easy free softwares that can migrate my OS to my SSD without losing data?

I found The Intel Data Migrating Software tool... Can i use on other brand SSD's as well so does it have to be an Intel SSD for the software to work?

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

only the 840 Pros are good... the regular 840 has TLC nand so its less reliable :(
Also the 840 Pro is more expansive :'(

I normally recommend Samsung. Intel and Crucial are also worth considering.The Crucial m4 is a bit older. Last month the company announced a new m500 model. The press release did not mention which controller would be used or when the new ssd will be released.

The current trend is to avoid solid state drives with SandForce controllers. SandForce has not come out with anything new in over 2 years. The SandForce controllers were designed to work well with compressible data but did not do as well with incompressible data. It might be an issue if you process photos and videos.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

The database identifies the controller in each ssd. Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

I'd like to address the negative comments about the Samsung 840 (not the 840 Pro)

I am familiar with the concern expressed in the reviews about Samsung's use of TLC NAND and write speeds in the 840 series. Last December HARD OCP published their first review of a 256GB 840. Last month HARD OCP published a review of a 500GB 840. Here's what HARD OCP had to say in the second review:

"Simple rough math calculations can extrapolate that a write load of 10GB per day would result in a worst-case expected lifetime of 7 years for a 256GB TLC SSD. This number could easily be doubled for the 500GB SSD that we are testing today, and this is without even taking into consideration the ability of providing extra spare area to increase the endurance of the SSD. Users can also use the Samsung Magician SSD software to allocate more capacity of their SSD into spare area, commonly referred to as "over-provisioning," which results in increased endurance and write performance. "

Here is a link to the complete HARD OCP article:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/02/samsung_840_series_500gb_tlc_ssd_review/

I think the point to remember is that the 840 is designed as a mainstream value ssd while the 840 Pro is a flagship model. In that respect the 840 is not of lesser quality or reliability. It should be adequate for its indended use.

wagonist

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I have MAJOR faith in Samsung SSD's, my 2008 model Alienware M11x R1 came with the optional Samsung 256GB ssd (not sure which model), now 5 years later it is still working flawlessly and still on the original Windows 7 install!!

wagonist

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I have MAJOR faith in Samsung SSD's, my 2008 model Alienware M11x R1 came with the optional Samsung 256GB ssd (not sure which model), now 5 years later it is still working flawlessly and still on the original Windows 7 install!!

wagonist

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I have MAJOR faith in Samsung SSD's, my 2008 model Alienware M11x R1 came with the optional Samsung 256GB ssd (not sure which model), now 5 years later it is still working flawlessly and still on the original Windows 7 install!! :eek: