Sign in with
Your question

System not performing as it should!?

Last response: in Systems
November 11, 2010 2:50:02 AM

Hi everyone,
I just finished building a desktop and it seems I have a choke pont somewhere. I was hoping some of you might have some suggestions. My build consistes of the following:
Asus Rampage Extreme III MOBO
Intel I7 950
Asus GTX 470 GPU
Corsair Dominator 3x2 1600 RAM
Thermaltake 850W PSU
Raptor 8500RPM HD
Windows 7 64 bit

Just as a benchmark I am trying to play Crysis on the machine and it is almost unplayable when I get into the larger maps at even a medium graphics setting. I have downloaded the lates bios for the MOBO and GPU, but no improvement. Should this combination not do better? Obviously I bought these items to overclock in the near future, but I thought it would perform much better out of the box.....

ANy help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

More about : system performing

a b B Homebuilt system
November 11, 2010 3:12:56 AM

The HDD strikes me as a weak link in the system, though with 6GB memory, I would expect everything to load to memory anyway. I'd return it for an SSD if you still can, and go from there.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 11, 2010 3:47:52 PM

Did you plug in both power supplies to the Video card? I think this card uses 2 6 pin connectors? Also check your temps and make sure the card and cpu are not too hot.
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2010 1:56:08 AM

Yes both power connectors are plugged in, and temps on the cpu is getting a bit warm (65c) or so, but not enough for the system to slow down during havy loads in game.

I agree that the HD is getting old, but I did not think that would slow down the in game performance as much as just cause slower boot times etc..
m
l
November 13, 2010 6:17:19 PM

octogoogles said:
Yes both power connectors are plugged in, and temps on the cpu is getting a bit warm (65c) or so, but not enough for the system to slow down during havy loads in game.

I agree that the HD is getting old, but I did not think that would slow down the in game performance as much as just cause slower boot times etc..

Probably not a very helpful tip but I have noticed that several games that do not really stress the cpu do not make it go to it's normal clock speed and leave it on idle.That makes some of my games lag so make sure you don't have power saver enabled on windows 7.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 14, 2010 1:05:17 AM

I think we should check the hard drive and the memory (dont think mem is an issue) but check them and rule them out.
m
l
November 18, 2010 9:00:27 PM

Just an update.

I noticed that there was a new driver release for 64 bit windows 7 for my GT470 so i uninstalled old driver and ran driver sweep then reinstalled new driver. Now the game seems to be performing as it should however my computer will all of a suden freeze in game. Nothing including ctrl alt del works to exit the game. The screen will freeze on a frame of the game, but sound continues. The colours in the game seems polarized and there are a bunch of lighter squares in a pattern....... Is this still a driver issue or could there be some kind of hardware issue?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2010 12:30:32 AM

Well can we run a memory checker and rule out any problems with that. Also check the settings for the memory in the BIOS and make sure that they meet the specs of the chips, voltage and timings. Also did you plug in the additional power supply to the mother board. I am not familiar with that motherboard but I think there is a additional power supply near the CPU that needs to be pluged in. There is also a checklist we should do I will post when I find it.
m
l
November 20, 2010 9:37:53 PM

Thanks I will check everything out.
m
l
November 22, 2010 2:41:16 PM

Memeory checked out so that is not the issue. Looking more and more like a bad gpu...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2010 12:27:03 AM

Yeah, I don't think it could be anything else. I think a quick scan of the hard drive and make sure no errors. Check the temps of the GPU under load and see if that is an issue, but if it is, I still think a bad card. One more question. Is this hard drive from another (computer) system with the operating system already installed (previous motherboard/graphics board)? That is the only thing left that we did not disscuss, a clean install of the Operating system, on a clean drive, with all new drivers..bios ect.

mac
m
l
November 23, 2010 4:40:44 AM

No this was a clean install on a never used before hard drive so I cant imagine that being the problem. I guess I am about to find out what Asus support is like.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2010 11:52:37 PM

Hey any luck with the system?
m
l
!