Sign in with
Your question

How to increase my download speed

Last response: in Networking
May 20, 2010 8:19:31 AM

my download speed is just 30kb/s

BSNL broadband unlimited 256 kbps.....cable modem....lan....

More about : increase download speed

May 20, 2010 1:34:05 PM

What type of internet connection do you have?
What is your setup?

If you want answers, you need to give more information.
m
l
May 24, 2010 3:34:17 AM

Hi, you can take the following steps, which is from ehow.com.

Step
Check with your Internet service provider about Internet connection options. The speed of your Internet connection is the most significant variable to your download speed. If you have dial-up Internet access, consider upgrading to a Direct Service Line (DSL) or a cable connection. Even if you already have cable, your Internet service provider may have faster cable services available.
Step
Understand a fast connection. Connection speed is measured by the amount of data that can be transferred per second, usually kilobits per second (Kbps) or megabits per second (Mbps). There are 1024 kilobits in one megabit. Most dial-up connections are 56 Kbps, while cable can be as fast as 20 Mbps. When you contact your Internet service provider, they should be able to tell you the speed of their connections.
Step
Close any open programs you do no need when downloading. This will free up your computer's resources to better handle the data transfer. If possible, have your computer download the files you need while you are away from the computer.
Step
Prioritize your downloads. Download only the files you really want first and start other downloads later. The more files you download simultaneously, the slower the files download.
Step
Try downloads at different times of the day. The more people who are downloading the same file, the slower the file downloads for everyone. If you are experiencing a slow download, try it at a different time of day when fewer people might be trying to download the same file.
Step
Install Download Accelerator. Download Accelerator is a program that optimizes your computer's download capabilities. It not only increases the speed of your downloads, it helps you manage them. When you begin downloading a file, Download Accelerator saves the file so that you can resume downloading it later if necessary. To get Download Accelerator, go to the Download website, search for Download Accelerator, click "Download Now" and follow the directions.
m
l
Related resources
May 31, 2010 4:48:06 PM

gtvr said:
What type of internet connection do you have?
What is your setup?

If you want answers, you need to give more information.

BSNL broadband unlimited 256 kbps.....cable modem....lan....

m
l
June 1, 2010 1:41:07 PM

Are you sure that the download speed as measured wasn't 30KB? Because that would work out to 240Kb, which would match pretty well.

How did you measure the download speed? Can you try speedtest.net & post a screen shot?
m
l
June 1, 2010 5:54:12 PM

gtvr said:
Are you sure that the download speed as measured wasn't 30KB? Because that would work out to 240Kb, which would match pretty well.

How did you measure the download speed? Can you try speedtest.net & post a screen shot?

dude whenever i download a file using firefox or download accelerators from past two yrs its only 30 kbps its the maximum speed
m
l
June 2, 2010 1:36:49 PM

Here's what I'd do:

1) cable modem directly to PC, to rule out any other issues
2) Contact my ISP & have them validate all of their equipment.
m
l
June 2, 2010 4:30:24 PM

jysn100 said:
dude whenever i download a file using firefox or download accelerators from past two yrs its only 30 kbps its the maximum speed

Most download programs show KB, not kb. So, like the previous post, are you getting 30KB or 30kb?
m
l
June 2, 2010 9:16:23 PM

Kewlx25 said:
Most download programs show KB, not kb. So, like the previous post, are you getting 30KB or 30kb?

what difference does it make.. he was just saying he is getting 30 KiloBytes Per Second
tell me the difference between 30 KB or 30 kb to me it is the same
m
l
June 2, 2010 11:09:44 PM

UPPERCASE B is byte lowercase b is bit
So 30KB is 30 KiloBytes and 30kb is 30 Kilobits.
There are 8 bits in a byte. so you will need to divide your Kilobits by 8 to get the Kilobytes, and multiply by 8 to go back.
Most if not all ISP advertise there speeds in bits because lets face is 240 Kbs sounds alot better then 30KBs.

This all so applys to the others Megabytes and Megabits Gigabytes Gigabits ect.
m
l
June 3, 2010 2:06:58 PM

Which is why I suggested getting a screen shot from speedtest.net. It seems that if it's so consistent, that would be a rational explanation
m
l
June 3, 2010 2:39:15 PM

Sounds like you are getting what you are paying for !! -- 30KBs == 240Kbs so right inline with a 256Kbs connection speed (figure you also have some other communication going on the line in addition to the download) -- So if you want faster downloads you'll need to upgrade the service contract to a faster speed (256 Kbs is a pretty slow connection speed nowadays)

For example Here is my speedtest result in Kbs :

and in KBs :

TO illustrate the difference between Kbs (bits) and KBs (bytes) Note this is 2 seperate runs so the speed is not exactly the same or would be divisible by 8 to change from one to the other but is close enough to show the difference in reported results !!
m
l
June 10, 2010 7:52:44 AM

its 30KB/s
m
l
June 10, 2010 1:41:57 PM

Well there you have it - almost exactly the advertised speed of your internet connection.
m
l
Anonymous
August 26, 2010 5:03:02 PM

Hi you can use the internet speed accelerator or internet download manager to increase your speed. it is the good one to increase the speed of internet. i used the internet speed accelerator and now my internet speed is good and i checked my speed in this site http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/
m
l
!