Photo Sharing Site I'm trying out

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 14, 2005 4:20:25 AM

I was looking for a photo sharing site: Free, very large amount of storage,
access to original hi-res photos online, and ability to send people links to
both the low- and hi-res photos. After searching the Online Photo Resource
Guide at http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/photo/albums.html I was able
to evaluate quite a few of them.

multiple.com does a nice job. It gives me 1 GB storage, and everything I was
looking for and more. It also builds a simple web site in minutes for
posting things in addition to the photos. People can bypass the site
completely by just going to a direct image link I might send them. The site
allows me to specify what photos or posts get seen by which people or
groups.

I'm still playing around with it. If you'd like to get an idea of what it
does, take a look at the one I put up at http://photofan.multiple.com

Some images there have been posted before on another site, but that wasn't
the point of putting them up this time.

Hope this helps some of you who are in the market for new Photo Sharing
Site.

Renee

More about : photo sharing site

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 14, 2005 3:23:10 PM

Frank ess wrote:
> Renee wrote:
> > http://photofan.multiply.com - my site
>
> It does unpleasant things on my Opera browser:
> Text is illegible, since it appears all on top of itself
> Your (remarkably unremarkable) photo thumbnails are all laid out in
one
> long string, requiring (horrors!) horizontal scrolling.

Seems okay in Firefox.

But more seriously, I can't agree that a photo of Goofy, dressed in a
gold tuxedo and acting as a master of ceremonies, is "unremarkable".
:^)

Alan
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 14, 2005 3:30:50 PM

Alan Meyer wrote:
> Frank ess wrote:
>> Renee wrote:
>>> http://photofan.multiply.com - my site
>>
>> It does unpleasant things on my Opera browser:
>> Text is illegible, since it appears all on top of itself
>> Your (remarkably unremarkable) photo thumbnails are all laid out in
>> one long string, requiring (horrors!) horizontal scrolling.
>
> Seems okay in Firefox.
>
> But more seriously, I can't agree that a photo of Goofy, dressed in a
> gold tuxedo and acting as a master of ceremonies, is "unremarkable".
> :^)

We obviously hang out with different crowds.

--
Frank ess
Related resources

Not sure why my corrected reply was not attached to this original as a
thread so here's a duplicate post. Sorry about that!

Gave you the wrong addresses in the original message. They're:

multiply.com - main site

"Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote in message
>I was looking for a photo sharing site: Free, very large amount of storage,
>access to original hi-res photos online, and ability to send people links
>to both the low- and hi-res photos. After searching the Online Photo
>Resource Guide at http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/photo/albums.html I
>was able to evaluate quite a few of them.
>
> multiple.com does a nice job. It gives me 1 GB storage, and everything I
> was looking for and more. It also builds a simple web site in minutes for
> posting things in addition to the photos. People can bypass the site
> completely by just going to a direct image link I might send them. The
> site allows me to specify what photos or posts get seen by which people or
> groups.
>
> I'm still playing around with it. If you'd like to get an idea of what it
> does, take a look at the one I put up at http://photofan.multiple.com
>
> Some images there have been posted before on another site, but that wasn't
> the point of putting them up this time.
>
> Hope this helps some of you who are in the market for new Photo Sharing
> Site.
>
> Renee

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 14, 2005 4:30:06 PM

Renee wrote:
> Not sure why my corrected reply was not attached to this original as a
> thread so here's a duplicate post. Sorry about that!
>
> Gave you the wrong addresses in the original message. They're:
>
> multiply.com - main site
>
> http://photofan.multiply.com - my site

It does unpleasant things on my Opera browser:
Text is illegible, since it appears all on top of itself
Your (remarkably unremarkable) photo thumbnails are all laid out in one
long string, requiring (horrors!) horizontal scrolling.

That may not be all, but I left when vertigo set in.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

> Renee wrote:
>> Not sure why my corrected reply was not attached to this original as a
>> thread so here's a duplicate post. Sorry about that!
>>
>> Gave you the wrong addresses in the original message. They're:
>>
>> multiply.com - main site
>>
>> http://photofan.multiply.com - my site
>>

> It does unpleasant things on my Opera browser:
> Text is illegible, since it appears all on top of itself
> Your (remarkably unremarkable) photo thumbnails are all laid out in one
> long string, requiring (horrors!) horizontal scrolling.
>
> That may not be all, but I left when vertigo set in.
>

> --
> Frank ess

Seems fine on my evil Microsoft browser :-)

Mark
January 15, 2005 3:59:31 AM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:44:49 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
wrote:

>It does unpleasant things on my Opera browser:
>Text is illegible, since it appears all on top of itself
>Your (remarkably unremarkable) photo thumbnails are all laid out in one
>long string, requiring (horrors!) horizontal scrolling.

Are you still using Opera v6 by any chance?

As I discovered a while back when trying to change my own website's
design from clunky tables to stylesheets, this failure to wrap round
CSS boxes containing images was an Opera failing and at the time
caused me a lot of scratching of head.

I've just looked at the site in v6 and it does as you say, but in v7
it's fine, as it is in other browsers that correctly interpret the
particular bit of CSS that makes this work (eg IE, Mozilla/Firefox).

Adrian
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 15, 2005 3:59:32 AM

Adrian wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:44:49 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It does unpleasant things on my Opera browser:
>> Text is illegible, since it appears all on top of itself
>> Your (remarkably unremarkable) photo thumbnails are all laid out in
>> one long string, requiring (horrors!) horizontal scrolling.
>
> Are you still using Opera v6 by any chance?
>
> As I discovered a while back when trying to change my own website's
> design from clunky tables to stylesheets, this failure to wrap round
> CSS boxes containing images was an Opera failing and at the time
> caused me a lot of scratching of head.
>
> I've just looked at the site in v6 and it does as you say, but in v7
> it's fine, as it is in other browsers that correctly interpret the
> particular bit of CSS that makes this work (eg IE, Mozilla/Firefox).

Thanks for responding: right on the nose.

Yes, v6.05. I've tried Opera 7 every six months for a couple years, but
it always runs slower than 6, and installs at such a grand size and with
so many bells and whistles, the whole purpose of using Opera is
cancelled. I have come across very few useful sites that don't
accommodate v6 (the one under discussion, and Nikon's, for examples), so
the gain is greater than the loss, so far. If something is worthwhile I
switch to MSIE and turn on the patience.

Off-topic: why is it that an Old Opera can work so quickly and a
multi-billion user/backer mess like MSIE can't?

More Magick than science, my view.

--
Frank ess
!