Degraded rebuild drive detected

topfuelturbo

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
"Degraded/rebuild drive detected. It is suggested to rebuild in the operation system to preserve the completeness of your data." I do not understand what to do. The computer has Windows XP Pro, 7 and 8. XP has 1 terabyte of 2 drives, Windows 7 and 8 each have two drives of SSD types. I do not understand RAID. I was told it has a steep learning curve. The IT fellow I know has reached his limits. What should I do? Thank you.

dmitche3

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Yes. It could be that one of the drives is failure. It could also mean that the system crashed and the RAID system is out-of-sync and needs to be rebuilt. The rebuilding process can take a very long time with 1TB. I would search the web for your RAID MFG and the wording of "degraded/rebuild" and see what you find. It may just be a simple as running the rebuild process. But there should be log files indicating the type of failure (power, disconnected, possible powered up and only one drive was recognized which caused the rebuild needed, etc).
I've use to be heavy into RAID but I haven't had the need to have mission critical systems in a few years and I believe that it's better to have off-line backups if the data is not needed to be on-line 24/7 without downtime.

topfuelturbo

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

Thanks!