Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need New Gaming Headset

Last response: in Components
February 5, 2011 2:45:51 AM

Hey guys,

My TRITTON AX51 Pro 5.1(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) recently quit on me after a couple years of service so I am in the market for a new headset. While I enjoyed the surround sound of my old pair I feel the quality could have been better. This headset will be used first for gaming and music second, keep it under $200 and my sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). Comfort, a mic, and surround sound are all definite pluses.

Thanks guys.

More about : gaming headset

February 5, 2011 2:49:42 AM

Like I said its mostly gaming, though for music I typically listen to most types of music only avoiding country and rap. Also I've heard of those clip on mics but is the quality really any good?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

February 5, 2011 2:57:20 AM

Kazul said:
Like I said its mostly gaming, though for music I typically listen to most types of music only avoiding country and rap. Also I've heard of those clip on mics but is the quality really any good?

The MIC is quite good. Voices come through very clear and articulate. The only bad thing is that its pretty sensitive, so it can pick up some background sounds, but that's not much of a problem. I use that Zalman myself, and if I wasn't completely satisfied then I would have moved on to something else.

Well for PURE gaming, and some very good musical reproduction you want the Audio Technica AD700s. Their imaging and soundstage are second to none for under $400. The soundstage and imaging allow you to pinpoint the origin and direction of sounds in games. This is very important for competitive play, especially in FPS games. They are also extremely detailed, clear, and accurate for very good musical reproduction. The only thing that kills them for some is that they don't have a huge amount of bass. The bass quantity is there and is not really anemic, but its not as prominent as some would want. This only really becomes a problem with some electronica/techno and rap/hip-hop, which doesn't seem to be a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audio...
February 5, 2011 3:07:35 AM

AMW1011 said:
The MIC is quite good. Voices come through very clear and articulate. The only bad thing is that its pretty sensitive, so it can pick up some background sounds, but that's not much of a problem. I use that Zalman myself, and if I wasn't completely satisfied then I would have moved on to something else.

Well for PURE gaming, and some very good musical reproduction you want the Audio Technica AD700s. Their imaging and soundstage are second to none for under $400. The soundstage and imaging allow you to pinpoint the origin and direction of sounds in games. This is very important for competitive play, especially in FPS games. They are also extremely detailed, clear, and accurate for very good musical reproduction. The only thing that kills them for some is that they don't have a huge amount of bass. The bass quantity is there and is not really anemic, but its not as prominent as some would want. This only really becomes a problem with some electronica/techno and rap/hip-hop, which doesn't seem to be a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audio...

The one 3.5 mm connector makes me nervous. I don't know much with sound but typically I'm used to several connectors for surround sound. I apologize for my ignorance I just want to make sure it'll work for me.
Score
February 5, 2011 3:14:55 AM

Kazul said:
The one 3.5 mm connector makes me nervous. I don't know much with sound but typically I'm used to several connectors for surround sound. I apologize for my ignorance I just want to make sure it'll work for me.

3.5mm is the stereo headphone connection, while 2.5mm is the more common regular headphone jacks that will be built into your case and iPod. The headphones come with both, via a supplied adapter.

While we are on the subject, don't be alarmed if the headphone jack is pretty big and a tight fit. Audio Technica likes to model their headphone jacks after tanks, they are pretty substantial, but that's a good thing. :D 
Score
February 5, 2011 3:17:14 AM

AMW1011 said:
3.5mm is the stereo headphone connection, while 2.5mm is the more common regular headphone jacks that will be built into your case and iPod. The headphones come with both, via a supplied adapter.

While we are on the subject, don't be alarmed if the headphone jack is pretty big and a tight fit. Audio Technica likes to model their headphone jacks after tanks, they are pretty substantial, but that's a good thing. :D 

If what you've said about it is true it sounds like a dream come true. Its the first I've heard of this pair of headphones so I'll look into it before I make a buy but so far it does look good. Thanks for the help.
Score
February 5, 2011 4:28:41 AM

Kazul said:
If what you've said about it is true it sounds like a dream come true. Its the first I've heard of this pair of headphones so I'll look into it before I make a buy but so far it does look good. Thanks for the help.

I understand completely. I recommend that you head over to head-fi.org, it is the best community for this subject.
Score
February 5, 2011 2:37:12 PM

I took some time to look over them. The only issue I can find, other than bass, seems to be comfort. I've read they don't fit well unless you have a large head due to the pads they use and lack of adjustment, and the velvet pads. My experience with velvet is normally that it seems nice at first but within an hour or two becomes itchy and annoying. Can you speak for its comfort at all?
Score
February 5, 2011 7:12:40 PM

Kazul said:
I took some time to look over them. The only issue I can find, other than bass, seems to be comfort. I've read they don't fit well unless you have a large head due to the pads they use and lack of adjustment, and the velvet pads. My experience with velvet is normally that it seems nice at first but within an hour or two becomes itchy and annoying. Can you speak for its comfort at all?

I haven't experienced this with velour pads before and I haven't heard about it much. The material might be slightly different from pad to pad, so all you can really do is try them.

The only comfort issue that these can have is that they clamp too hard for some people. My Audio Technica ATH-M50s do the same, but you can simply bend the head band a bit here and there to alleviate this. The AD700s are generally consider a comfortable pair of headphones, but some have had problems certainly. I think it would have to come down to personal taste and you trying them.
Score
February 6, 2011 2:07:26 AM

The AD700s do look good. Though I am not sure if I am better off with the stereo headset rather than 5.1(what I am used too). Do you have any other suggested headsets? Just so I have some more to look at. Also please heal my ignorance on the subject of 5.1 vs stereo vs simulated surround sound.
Score
February 6, 2011 3:03:12 AM

All surround sound with headphones is more or less simulated. Its really not that great and I'm not a huge fan of it. I've never heard an improvement with "surround sound" headphones.
Score
February 6, 2011 4:38:33 AM

Not sure of the model #, but I recently read about a set by Creative made specifically for that sound card. I believe they ran about $100.
Score
February 13, 2011 3:11:39 AM

Best answer selected by Kazul.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
February 13, 2011 10:31:34 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!