Sign in with
Your question

Low-mid AMD based gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
November 11, 2010 6:03:04 AM

So it is official, my old rig is dead :( 
the king is dead, long live the , new , king :) 

after my last build , about 3 years ago I almost lost contact with what is new in the pc world, so now I pretty much know nothing aboiut which cpus and mobos are the best deal etc, and given my job is taking most of my time I dont ven have time to reeducate miself againabout these things, so this is why I am asking you guys, please help me chose the right mobo and cpu.

since the price on intel cpus and mobo has extremly high for this build I decided to go for an amd solution
constrains:
-I only have around 350 dollars available - to be used to buy a cpu and mobo only
-I will recicle my HDD, powersource, GPU, case and DVD-writer from my old, pc, they are perfectly good,

what will I use this pc: rendering fractals, editing video, some gaming: starcraft 2, homeworld2, X3 - basicaly space RTSs and RPGs, some overclocking
NOTE: I DO NOT PLAY FPSs, so I do not need a high end video card nor do I need multiple video cards, so I do NOT need a mobo with more than 1 pcix16x slot

I saw the new charts on toms and before seeing them I was more for the phenom ii X2 555 black edition, that is almost on par with the new X6 on most usual aplications, and games, however after i saw the performence of the X6 on video editing and rendering I have decided for the X6, if you have other ideas please tell me, but with arguments please.

as for the mobo I am at a complete lost here, I have absolutely no idea what to buy, the offer is so diverse, with so many chipsets, sockets, ddr2/ddr3, variants that I have decided it is best to ask those who stayed in tocuh with whats new in the industry rather than taking my luck with a random mobo which looks good on paper.

also, should I go with ddr 3 or 2? my old rig had 2 gigs of ddr 2, Adata extreme edition 4-4-4-9, I saw some AM2+ or AM3s which still suported the ddr2 but I am not sure, what do you think?

thanks in advance
November 11, 2010 7:01:24 AM

^ Apart from gaming what will the PC be mainly used for ?
November 11, 2010 7:03:23 AM

I already said that

"what will I use this pc: rendering fractals, editing video, some gaming: starcraft 2, homeworld2, X3 - basicaly space RTSs and RPGs, some overclocking "
Related resources
November 11, 2010 7:22:54 AM

I was thinking about the same cpu as you recomand, it has decent performance on the charts, and yes, ddr3 are becoming afordable

but I kno nothing about that mobo, is it reliable, I know gigabite makes good mobo, but not all of them are good, there are models less than stellar, how does it handle over clocking?
November 11, 2010 7:32:39 AM

I was looking at an online shop in my country, Romania and I found a linfield at a very decent price, matching the 1055T in my country at price

and now I am looking at the toms chart and I see it is equal and in some apps is better than 1055T,
can you tell me of a similar combo with the I7 860 linfield?

P.S. does newegg make shippings out of US, like in central europe?
November 11, 2010 7:43:42 AM

I dont think newegg ships outside US...But better to stick with local stores or the ones that are in EU as the shipping and taxes might be very high...

And as for the i7, in Video rendering and encoding, the 1055T once overclocked would be a better value than the i7 as it is costs ~$100 more but gives similar performance...
And also the mobos are slightly costlier than the AMD ones...

But if you still want to go i7, then some good options -
Gigabyte P55-USB3, P55A-UD3, ASUS P7P55D-E Lx
November 11, 2010 7:46:50 AM

just as i thought, those damn taxes, so yeah, i will stick with the amd, now must search in my country the price of that giga mobo
November 11, 2010 7:50:50 AM

And check out these boards too - These are the ones without SATA 6GB/s and USB3.0(I doubt these would matter, but the USB3.0 might be a good addition)
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3
ASUS M4A77TD AM3
This one has USB3.0
GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3
November 11, 2010 7:54:53 AM

I found in my country both the 870a ud3 and the 770t usb3, both at around 100-120 $

but which one is better?
November 11, 2010 8:02:02 AM

870A UD3 is better...
November 11, 2010 3:31:41 PM

ok guys, thanks for your replies

if anyone else has a different opinion please dont be shy, post it :) 
November 11, 2010 3:41:17 PM

by the way, now that I have decided for the 6 core cpu I looked for a decent sink at a decent price and I decided for the Schyte Mugen 2 rev b, a very good and silent sink.

HOWEVER, that sink is HUGE, and thus I need to change my very small case with a roomy one, can you guys direct me to a bug case, but please, make it cheap, it doesnt have to have eyecandy or transparent panels , just be practical, decent quality and did I say BIG :p 
November 11, 2010 4:12:53 PM

yep, small indeed, I guess I need something almost double of that :D 
November 11, 2010 5:28:25 PM

ok, after a long search I found a candidate
NZXT gamma
what do you guys think? it is around 70 US $
November 12, 2010 2:37:37 AM

If you want cheap, yet good ones then NZXT Gamma would be a good choice,...some other options - Antec 200/ 300, Cooler Master Elite 430,

And CPU Cooler - If you want a smaller(But still is tall), then CM Hyper 212+ would be a good option...
November 12, 2010 3:47:21 AM

the antec 200 is out of the question, its more expensive than the NZXT and it lacks ...
however if I dont buy the NZXT my second option is antec 300, very good case.

as for the cooler I have decided for the Schyte Mugen 2 rev B, CM Hyper 212+ being the third option, the second one is Thermalright 120 Extreme with a Schyte fan

in total, without the HDD, ddr3 and the GPU which I already have , it will cost me around 600 $ ( If I get the newegg deal it will be just a little bit more than 500$ )
I guess I get a LOT for this kind of small buck
Phenom X6 1055T
Giga mobo with USB 3 and SATA III
Schyte Mugen 2 rev B
NZXT Gamma
Seasonic IS12II 630W 80+ bronze ( I have a PSU but I have decided to change it for something more solid )

any comments on the final build? any last minute suggestions?
November 12, 2010 4:05:10 AM

^ You wont be going more than 1 GPU right ? If Yes, then even the Seasonic's 520W would suffice, but if the price difference is not high, then get the 630W...
Check out these PSUs too - Corsair 550VX, Silverstone Strider series 500-600Ws
Rest are fine...
November 12, 2010 2:38:43 PM

from what I knew 2 years ago, the corsairs, or at least some models are in fact rebranded seasonics

yes, I GPU, but If I OC the CPU I wana make sure the PSU has enough juice in it, plus in time I will add more drives and vents on the case
November 15, 2010 2:38:40 AM

^^ Corsair still gets their PSUs from Seasonic/ CWT, but they have some control over the quality of the products...
And that Seasonic that you have linked is a very good one, but the Corsairs have very good warranty...
That combo is fine, but you get good case + PSUs for less, thus nullifying the combo discounts that it offers, but its your call though...
November 15, 2010 11:21:47 AM

unless i find someone I know in US to bring it to me in EU, than all this search on newegg would have been for nothing, and I will be forced to get a lower performance machine for more money from stores in my country :( 
!