New 3tb HDD shows 746gb

pd154

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Hello,
Tried most of the suggestions in
"[Solved] Seagate barracuda 3TB as 746 GB" but
Did not seem to solve for me, Used Intel RST but they say all drivers up to date. Cannot find a way to install 10.1, I am 10.0.0
Tried installing the reccomended newer Navidia Driver" 15.56-nforce-winvista-win7-32bit-international-whql"but refused to install, "Setup found no drivers compatable with your sys"
I am thinking that when first installed i made single partition and quick format(ntsf). Later did a full format with no better results.
Any thoughts?

details about my computer
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 7.4 5.7
Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.4
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 5.7
Gaming graphics 2555 MB Total available graphics memory 6.5
Primary hard disk 25GB Free (288GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Vostro 460
Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
64-bit capable Yes

pd154

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
You are correct about having to initialize the disk in GPT, but having issues doing that. I had previously formatted as a simple single volume, MBR. Then attempted to convert in Disk Manager I had to delete the volume first. Did this, but still no option to convert to GPT or anything, but only to use the "new simple volume wizzard". From what i have read the disk should still show more than that. Furthering this problem is that i cannot get into the BIOS as my monitor is black until windows starts up. I had asssumed a power saving feature but turned all off and no difference. Tried pushing F2 and delete every few seconds from the time of turn on. Occasionally doing this it would not go into windows and so still a black screen which may have been what i wanted but could not see it. I took a screen capture of the disk management screen but don't seem to be able to attach. It now shows Disk 0 with 746.39 Gb Unallocated. Intel RST does show 3Tb and all OK.

pd154

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
OK, part way there. Although first time i went to seagate website i only saw a thing that said there are no drivers for hard drives as it is in the OS, go to microsoft or your manufacturer, tried that, all drivers up to date. This time i found Seagate Disk Wizard. By using the disk clone I was able to now have D and F drives showing up but still only 2Tb of the 3. The other 746 Gb show up but only unallocated and in the disk wiz, no way to allocate it. Working on that last bit now.

oschwarz

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Would you mind please, let us know how you got the 3 TB now?... Thanks!

pd154

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Easier said than done, I mean explaining how it did get done. There seemed to be more than one thing to do and i still have the 3TB spread over a bunch of Drive letters.
I think the main thing was to format in GTP and Partition into a few seperate Partitions.

Rival Son

Honorable
May 20, 2013

Thank you so much! Could not understand, and finally found out why my laptop wouldn't let me do anything with the 746Gb Partition.
Just had to make sure the 2048 Gb patition is Unallocated and converted to GPT.
Cheers :)

TRENDING THREADS