SFF AMD - Just looking for some feedback

rza

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Just wanted to get some feedback. Things went really well for me on my last build (it was my first) that I wanted to try a AMD rig.

If there are some ways to cut some cost that would be a plus but not necessary.

CPU
Case
PSU
MOBO
GPU
RAM
SSD
Heat-sink

Then just a 500GB - 1TB HDD and a basic disc drive. Resolution would be no more then 1080. I was also looking at MSi for the mobo and GPU.

Just had a few questions:

1) Could I go with a lower watt PSU? I really like my current Corsair, but the lowest watt modular PSU they make is the 520HX

2) The heat-sink needs to be under 80mm in height, any other suggestions beside what Scythe offers?

Solution
If you get the Big Shuriken, You may need to swap out the memory. Your memory slots are very close to the CPU and your ram heatsinks are just going to be too tall(maybe just by a few mm, need to find the height of that memory).

I am trying to see if I can get the clearance of the Shuriken(non big).

I have seen this issue before with the H55N-USB3(very close to pci-e and memory)

EDIT

I am back to recommend changing the memory either way. There is 35mm clearance under the heatsink(Shuriken) and normal memory without heat spreaders that pass the top of the memory is already 30mm.

side.jpg

Very close, even without heat spreaders that stick out the top of the memory...
If you get the Big Shuriken, You may need to swap out the memory. Your memory slots are very close to the CPU and your ram heatsinks are just going to be too tall(maybe just by a few mm, need to find the height of that memory).

I am trying to see if I can get the clearance of the Shuriken(non big).

I have seen this issue before with the H55N-USB3(very close to pci-e and memory)

EDIT

I am back to recommend changing the memory either way. There is 35mm clearance under the heatsink(Shuriken) and normal memory without heat spreaders that pass the top of the memory is already 30mm.

side.jpg

Very close, even without heat spreaders that stick out the top of the memory
ramheight.jpg

My personal memory preference is Corsair, but gSkill has some without the extra top heatsinks as well.

Same price, but lower operating voltage and slightly different timings(8-8-8-24 vs 8-8-8-21).. You should drop the voltage in the bios for this memory. If they have this in 4 gigs sticks I may just get some for my SFF system.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231317

Solution