I have an old computer I bought from Alienware over 2 years ago and out of warranty now, I had problems ever since I bought it with the computer freezing and locking up. Alienware replaced the motherboard once, the graphics cards and the RAM over the course of the first year but i still had the problems, the latest RAM they sent me failed memtest at which point my warranty ran out and I just gave up.
now, a year later, I bought some new RAM and left it overnight using memtest. It passsed, however i have still had some strange issues since then.
- my screen went blank then returned and I got a Display driver is not responding and has recovered message
- at one point i got what i belive to be a PSOD first and last time i saw that was just after installing the new RAM
- computer acts really sluggish sometimes, even after doing a clean install
- really bad screen tearing while playing C&C, only lasted about 20 secs and not seen it since
The most worrying...
- last night the computer would not boot AT ALL, i have a 790i ultra MOBO and when i looked inside it's blue LED was on when the computer was plugged in, the orange LED would turn on when i pushed the power button and i could hear a very quiet slight buzzing from the back of the power supply.
I assumed PSU had died and was planning to buy a new one this morning, however now it suddenly works again, since last night I did take one stick of RAM out but i dont think this is what is making it work. (i also tried with one stick last night and it wouldnt boot)
when i ran memtest overnight it was the longest my computer had been left on since i got it, must have been around 35 hours it was on.
Am i right in thinking this is a PSU issue, or could something else be dying?
Well ,, you did the diagnostic on the ram and it's ok, so replace the psu ,,if you feel that is the problem, do not take any chances with a faulty psu, it could do serious damage as well as start a fire..