Antec 902 top fan ticking noise

jb7455

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
After about three months of owning an Antec 902 and having it be relatively quiet, the top fan on my case has developed sort of a ticking noise. The noise isn't very loud but it really does get on my nerves. Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea on how I can fix it? I really don't want to resort to unplugging the beastly fan. I've found that if I put a folder over half the fan, the noise goes away, so I've pretty much pinpointed the location of the noise.

Solution
Why don't you try applying some pressure to the fan hub and see if that does anything.
Worth a shot i know i would try it!
Btw i have a 902.
I have a Lanboy Air. The front adjustable speed fan makes a ticking noise when turned anything higher then low so I know exactly what you are talking about. For me it just started about a week ago I have had the case for a few months now and am surprised to hear fan noise so quick.

leon2006

Distinguished
There should be no ticking noise from this fan unless its hitting something like wires. Check it ...

Get the case replace... Claim your warranty.

I have 4 Antec 900s and have no such issues with TOP fans. Mine are Powered 24x7

jb7455

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Nah I opened my case and examined it closely. There are no wires interfering with the fan. If I apply a tiny bit of pressure to the spot on the cage where the noise is coming from, the noise goes away. So it could have something to do with the rattling of the cage, even though it sure does sound like it's brushing against a wire with the ticking noise. The weird part about it is when it first started the noise would go away for days and come back without me physically touching the case at all. I don't even know if a replacement fan will fix the noise, so I'm not sure if it is worth the effort of dealing with Antec and replacing the fan. Just out of curiosity for anyone who has done it though, are the top fans on the 902 difficult to take out/install?

jb7455

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
One of the spokes on the fan hub must have been indented too close to the fan. I popped the piece of plastic upward and the noise has went away. Thanks for the input everyone.