Burned 110V router adapter, need a 220V substitude


I need advice, please.

Recently, I bought a wireless router with a 110V adapter, while my country "has" 220V. Naturally, my adapter is burned out now, as I was unaware of the difference (first time buying anything 110V).

So, my question is, do I need to buy a new adapter with the exact specifications (12V, 1A) with 220V, or is it ok to get one with higher amper? I was suggested to buy one with 12V but 2.5A. The seller guy said that with the 2.5A adapter I could be more confident that my device would work properly, as a 1A adapter I would buy in my country is not specifically intended for my router (brand?).

Sorry for my terminology, I'm a female:)

Thanks for any replies.
3 answers Last reply
More about burned 110v router adapter 220v substitude
  1. What model Router do you have?

    A power supply with 2.5A would be okay since it will only provide what is needed by the equipment connected.

    the other thing you need to watch out for is the size and polarity of the connector.
  2. Thank you for your reply!

    It's a NETGEAR router (WGR614).

    What should I watch out about the size? Do I need a compact small one? I've been offered a couple of power supplies, but their bulky size turned me off.
  3. Oops, sorry, EMERALD, I misunderstood the size issue. You meant the size of the connector not of the power supply.

    I'll get the router to the store with me so there can be no mistake about it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Wireless Router Routers Wireless Networking