Sign in with
Your question

Slow Windows Boot Times with Crucial M4 SSD

Last response: in Storage
February 21, 2013 10:52:16 PM

I have a Crucial M4 256gb and I am using it on the Asus P8Z77-V Pro. The other drives in my system are a OCZ Onyx 32gb SSD, 1tb Seagate 5400rpm Sata 3gb/s, and a 1tb Hitachi 7.2k Sata 6gb/s. My problem is that I have been experiencing slow boot times, it would take about 10 seconds after the flag showed up. I ran through every possible solution and none have worked.

I have:

- Switched SATA cables and made sure they were Rev 3
- Made sure it is plugged into the Intel port
- Optimized windows with SSD Magician (I used to have a Samsung 830)
- Ran benchmarks making sure the performance is close to the specifications, and it is

I finally gave up and decided to secure erase it and clean install windows. When I did this I unplugged all other hard drives and everything went great, the boot times are super fast again. Then I plugged all my other drives back in and the slow boot times started again. I decided to do a few more tests by only plugging in 1 other drive besides the M4 and it seems as though the mechanical drives are slowing it down. When I plugged in just the OCZ no differance in boot as when the M4 was alone, the windows blops didn't even get close to touching. The Hitachi drive caused the longest delay, the blops just about touch. The Seagate drive slows it down a little but not much, the blops never touch but they crossover each other. When both the Seagate and Hitachi drives are plugged in the blops turn into the flag for about 2 seconds. When all the drives are plugged in the blops turn into the flag for about 3-5 seconds. I know this doesn't seem like a big deal but this is on a clean install of windows nothing else.

I would also like to note that when I had my Samsung 830 installed the flag never showed up, the blops wouldn't even crossover.
I'm sorry for my terminology, I know it isn't the best but I don't know what else to call the windows loading things besides blops.
I'm also sorry for the lengthiness, I just wanted to be detailed.
My question pretty much is, Is there anyway to get rid of the excess time caused by the other drives? Or is there maybe a problem with the drives?
February 21, 2013 11:02:54 PM

Try removing everything and just boot with the os storage ssd.
February 21, 2013 11:14:08 PM

Mind posting your rest of the specs? What are your windows load times? And what operating system are you using? My computer with the Corsair Force GS, loads windows about 10 - 15 seconds with windows 7 (my specs are in the signature). Are you sure you are installing windows and programs in the SSD, and connected to a SATA 6Gb/s connector? Also, are you setting the SSD to AHCI mode instead of IDE and RAID mode in the BIOS?
Related resources
February 21, 2013 11:46:27 PM

The rest of my specs are:

i5 2500k , I have it at stock now but I usually run it at 4.5ghz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz ram, usually have it clocked to 1866mhz but now Im at 1333mhz
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Gigabyte AMD 7850 2gb
Crucial M4 256gb
Hitachi 1tb
Seagate 1tb
OCZ ZT 750w power supply
Corsair 500r
LG DVD Combo
And a few extra fans thrown in
February 21, 2013 11:48:17 PM

I'm sorry for the double posting errors keep popping up when I post. How can I delete them? Also the thread double posted, is there a way to delete the other one?
February 22, 2013 12:01:08 AM

pete123edgar said:
Try removing everything and just boot with the os storage ssd.

On the fresh install the blops didn't even come close to touching.

I used norton ghost to restore the drive to its previous state and it made little to no difference. The flag appears and takes about 5-7 seconds for the desktop to appear.
February 22, 2013 1:01:39 AM

Click on "Edit this message", NOT "Quick Edit", then you should go to the usual reply message box, on the lower-left corner, there should be two boxes, one said "Enable the mail notification of this thread", and the other box should be "Delete this reply", or something like that. Click on that box, and click sumbit to delete a reply. By the way, you haven't answered all my questions from my last post.
a b G Storage
February 22, 2013 1:02:06 AM

the other drives have pre existing opsys on them?

what is the boot order?

what happens if you remove the other drives from boot order?
February 22, 2013 1:19:28 AM

swifty_morgan said:
the other drives have pre existing opsys on them?

what is the boot order?

what happens if you remove the other drives from boot order?

The other drives do not have operating systems (if thats what you mean) they are just data drives

The boot order it M4 then DVD drive

I completely unplugged the sata cables and there is little to no change on the fully reloaded drive. On the fresh install though there was a big difference. I suspect that it may be even slower now because of the image from Norton.
February 22, 2013 1:23:47 AM

ipwn3r456 said:
Mind posting your rest of the specs? What are your windows load times? And what operating system are you using? My computer with the Corsair Force GS, loads windows about 10 - 15 seconds with windows 7 (my specs are in the signature). Are you sure you are installing windows and programs in the SSD, and connected to a SATA 6Gb/s connector? Also, are you setting the SSD to AHCI mode instead of IDE and RAID mode in the BIOS?

Sorry I didn't answer everything got tunnel vision when I saw specs lol. My load time is is about 20 seconds (not including POST), but it's more like 25 to desktop load. I'm using Windows 7 Pro. Positive when I install windows I unplug everything else. Positive on the 6gb/s cable and port just redid everything today. And yes I'm sure it's in AHCI, my motherboard defaults to AHCI but I always double check.
a b G Storage
February 22, 2013 2:12:59 AM

Hi,
While I have no idea what a "blop" or a "flag" refers to. I'll try to help you out.

1) If I understand correctly, the INCREASED booting time is BEFORE Windows starts to load?

2) Assuming the above, this is caused by the motherboard pausing to analyze the extra drives in the system. You can try changing the BIOS so it uses a FAST POST which disables some test but I doubt that would help. Hard Drives take time to start up from being parked so there's little you can likely do here.

3) To be clear, your boot time prior to Windows loading is about 10 SECONDS FASTER? That's perfectly in line with systems I've seen. My own system with an SSD and no other drives boots faster, however adding drives causes a slow-down as a quick diagnostic is run.

4) *The entire issue can likely be avoided anyway by using "HYBRID SLEEP"; this mode does two things:
a) shuts down but trickles power to the System RAM so it can start in seconds
b) copies the System RAM data to your main drive in case of a power failure, in which case it would start as if from Hibernation.

Summary:
- I see no issue or anything to fix.
- Use HYBRID SLEEP.
a b G Storage
February 22, 2013 2:30:50 AM

photon, you find cloning from HD to SSD completely successful?
a b G Storage
February 22, 2013 2:39:18 AM

I assume that you have the latest Firmware on the SSD? The Crucial M4 develops issues over time unless the Firmware is updated.
February 22, 2013 2:41:30 AM

photonboy said:
Hi,
While I have no idea what a "blop" or a "flag" refers to. I'll try to help you out.

1) If I understand correctly, the INCREASED booting time is BEFORE Windows starts to load?

2) Assuming the above, this is caused by the motherboard pausing to analyze the extra drives in the system. You can try changing the BIOS so it uses a FAST POST which disables some test but I doubt that would help. Hard Drives take time to start up from being parked so there's little you can likely do here.

3) To be clear, your boot time prior to Windows loading is about 10 SECONDS FASTER? That's perfectly in line with systems I've seen. My own system with an SSD and no other drives boots faster, however adding drives causes a slow-down as a quick diagnostic is run.

4) *The entire issue can likely be avoided anyway by using "HYBRID SLEEP"; this mode does two things:
a) shuts down but trickles power to the System RAM so it can start in seconds
b) copies the System RAM data to your main drive in case of a power failure, in which case it would start as if from Hibernation.

Summary:
- I see no issue or anything to fix.
- Use HYBRID SLEEP.

This is what I mean for the blops

This is what I mean for the flag

So yea, I'm not talking about the POST time, I'm talking about the actual windows boot time. Maybe the hybrid sleep would help anyways? If so where can I find this in the BIOS?
February 22, 2013 2:43:46 AM

Wamphryi said:
I assume that you have the latest Firmware on the SSD? The Crucial M4 develops issues over time unless the Firmware is updated.

Yes I am currently on firmware 040H ( Not sure if thats the actual name, but I know it is the newest).
February 22, 2013 7:06:02 PM

I am now experiencing BSOD when the Welcome screen shows up. I can't even get to the desktop unless I boot in safe mode. I'm not sure if this is the drive or the backup recovery I did.
a b G Storage
February 22, 2013 7:13:00 PM

did you ever do a clean install on the SSD......... not clone.
February 22, 2013 7:15:38 PM

swifty_morgan said:
did you ever do a clean install on the SSD......... not clone.

Yes I did, the results are in the second paragraph of my original post. I am going to reclone now just to get my data then do another clean install.
a b G Storage
February 22, 2013 7:18:28 PM

Remove any swap files from all drives except the boot SSD and/or the OCZ Onyx SSD you have. Did you make sure your SATA ports were in AHCI or RAID mode (rather than IDE or Legacy) when you reloaded Windows? If not, Google the steps needed to make that change, and do so in order to enable TRIM.
Edit: If you're going to do another clean install, then check your BIOS before doing it to make sure you're in AHCI mode BEFORE installing. Then, when you add the other drives back, make sure Windows does not create swap files on any of them.
February 22, 2013 7:24:00 PM

Onus said:
Remove any swap files from all drives except the boot SSD and/or the OCZ Onyx SSD you have. Did you make sure your SATA ports were in AHCI or RAID mode (rather than IDE or Legacy) when you reloaded Windows? If not, Google the steps needed to make that change, and do so in order to enable TRIM.

Not sure what you mean by swap files but I double checked if it is in AHCI mode and it is. The strange thing is when I went to bed last night everything was working fine (besides the slow boot times) and today I went to go play Skyrim and it crashes. So I ended it with task manager cause it wasn't responding, I then left to go get something and I come back to the computer in a boot loop cycle BSODing every time the Welcome screen pops up.
a b G Storage
February 22, 2013 7:38:03 PM

i was goint to do some research on the board. newegg was one of the first places i stopped. no need to look further. look at the reviews of the people who panned it.......... return it if you can and buy a different board ( different manufacturer )

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w...
February 22, 2013 7:48:40 PM

swifty_morgan said:
i was goint to do some research on the board. newegg was one of the first places i stopped. no need to look further. look at the reviews of the people who panned it.......... return it if you can and buy a different board ( different manufacturer )

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w...

Well if it is the motherboard it would make sense because I have had nothing but trouble with it. I even RMA'ed and got a replacement with only some of the issues being remedied. I unfortunately can't return it because I bought it almost a year ago. I read the first review on newegg about the AI suite causing slow boot times and I haven't used that software since the first week I got the board because it screws up the whole computer. I'm going to try a clean install and repopulate the drive with my programs and see what happens. I pray that it is not the motherboard again because my RMA experience with Asus was a nightmare. You can read about it here. ]http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=30&post=311177&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0"e_only=0&new=0&nojs=0]
a b G Storage
February 22, 2013 8:15:11 PM

when I send stuff back i usually mark it inconspicuously or something that black light will see........ but rma returns are usually other used products. so you got lucky for a while.

i stopped buying asus boards when they changed manufacturing spots. kinda think the guys that make foxcon boards are the same people that are making the asus boards now.
February 23, 2013 12:45:42 AM

Is secure erasing a SSD bad? Like does it degrade the drive every time you do it?
February 23, 2013 6:36:55 AM

So I seem to have fixed the problem. After clean installing windows I tested the boot times, they were lightning fast. I proceeded to install the drivers from the mobo disc and BAM, problem found, boot times were pitiful. I uninstalled each driver one by one then rebooting to see which was the problem. The ASMEDIA sata drivers were to blame, as soon as I removed them boot times were lightning fast again. I plugged in all my other hard discs and they only slightly effected the boot times, still way faster than before. I am still in the process of repopulating the drive so I will post back with any problems if there are any.
February 23, 2013 3:50:18 PM

Ok so I'm half way done with repopulating the drive and after installing a program (not sure which one) boot times are reduced a bit. The flag is only there for about a second. I tried cleaning up the startup programs and services with Autoruns but boot times barley budged. I also set the the processor boot cores to 4 but again it barely budged. There was this program called Soluto that many people seemed to like but I couldn't get it to work. I am much happier with my boot times now than before. If there are anymore issues or I find a solution I will post back.
February 25, 2013 1:49:55 PM

bad drives. having same issues with my crucial 128. newegg reviews explain a lot only 2 out of 5 eggs. i think we picked a bad egg :( 
!